virgin - Page 4 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 


Like Tree12Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 03-12-2013
scratchee's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 363
Thanks: 4
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 3
scratchee is on a distinguished road
Re: virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Funny I did not think the advise was negative...just realistic.

Never sailed the boat
Buys it after survey gets on it with no ocean experience...
I think you meant, "Buys it sight unseen, with no survey."

Sometimes it's hard to find the right balance of skepticism and encouragement, but I think Chef's remark nails it: what would I say if my son came to me with this plan?

The kicker for me was the 100 miles in 10 hours. Many unlikely things are possible with thorough planning; many simple things are dangerous with no planning.

Siz, my advice would be to pay for a survey, then find an experienced crew to go with you.
jimrafford likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #32  
Old 03-12-2013
chucklesR's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Pasadena Md - Magothy side
Posts: 5,952
Thanks: 10
Thanked 29 Times in 29 Posts
Rep Power: 9
chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Re: virgin

I've got to learn to leave threads like this alone.
The posters seldom want to hear anything that doesn't re-affirm their desires.

Seriously, Runswithscissors has said he's gone, let's hope he comes back and rubs the wonder and thrill of the trip in our faces.
I'd much rather that happen than someone post a link to a news article.
chef2sail likes this.
__________________
Lessons learned are opportunities earned.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #33  
Old 03-12-2013
blutoyz's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 638
Thanks: 10
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Rep Power: 2
blutoyz is on a distinguished road
Re: virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithsisors View Post
and to that ,Dave i will say adue. i wont tolerate a smug smart ass. to everyone else who gave sound helpful advise, i thank you. goodbye sailnet

the siz haz left the house
Now he is sad...and has gone away. I was looking forward to his successful completion of the run and the post of the adventures but we can't get the update now.

Good luck to the "siz" wherever he is.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #34  
Old 03-12-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,343
Thanks: 1
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Rep Power: 11
capttb is on a distinguished road
Re: virgin

Hope the siz leaves a float plan with someone who cares.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #35  
Old 03-12-2013
GMFL's Avatar
Large Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 253
Thanks: 5
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 5
GMFL is on a distinguished road
Re: virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Funny I did not think the advise was negative...just realistic.

Never sailed the boat
Buys it after survey gets on it with no ocean experience
Heads out into the ocean for a 100 mile trip ALONE
Has never sailed the area he wil be traveling and obviously
Hasn't done the research
Comes on SN and asks about it
Doesn't like advice unless it pats him on he back

Yep that's negativity. So what's wrong with telling the truth and why would you support it. Think carefully. If your daughter or son came to you with this scenario would you cheer them on or tell them its risky. Jealousy hardly. Common sense maybe.

How about you walk the talk and offer to help him and go on the mission.
Don't remember specifically quoting you at all but it must have hit a nerve I guess. Oh well.

I did walk the walk. He asked for suggestions for his trip. I provided a suggestion.

I guess I tend to give people more credit than to just assume they just walked out of a bowling ally and then stumbled on Sailnet and decide to take up sailing. He stated he's been racing for several years, I would think he knows his way around a sailboat and can manage to check on the weather before he leaves port. He said he's going to give the boat a complete going over prior to his trip, I'll assume he knows what he's looking for. He's going on a coastal cruise to Ventura, not an open ocean voyage to Hawaii.

But you can continue to be "realistic" if you want.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #36  
Old 03-12-2013
chef2sail's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,828
Thanks: 28
Thanked 53 Times in 49 Posts
Rep Power: 7
chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFL View Post
Don't remember specifically quoting you at all but it must have hit a nerve I guess. Oh well.

I did walk the walk. He asked for suggestions for his trip. I provided a suggestion.

I guess I tend to give people more credit than to just assume they just walked out of a bowling ally and then stumbled on Sailnet and decide to take up sailing. He stated he's been racing for several years, I would think he knows his way around a sailboat and can manage to check on the weather before he leaves port. He said he's going to give the boat a complete going over prior to his trip, I'll assume he knows what he's looking for. He's going on a coastal cruise to Ventura, not an open ocean voyage to Hawaii.

But you can continue to be "realistic" if you want.
Nnot a nerve, but I know I was the most concerned/ negative about it, just beacsue of his safety. Do you have children who sail? Would you have the same attitude or concern for them and give them same advice in the same exact situation?

Racing on a Hobie 16 or small boat in a protected large bay is porportionally differnt than the Ocean in a boat he has seen only in pictures.

Quote:
my sailing experiance is bay sailing in galveston bay. crewed on 2 person einsons for several years. captoned my own g-cat for acouple of years. also crewed on a hobbie 16 , racing here in the texas area for a couple of years with pretty fair resuilts. the boat- havent seen it except in pix.
Nope not headed to Hawaii...thats actually safer in a way..negotiating coastal currents, shoaling water from the deep ocean with swells traveling thousands of milers which build in shallow water near the coast, can be more challenging. Especially if he is close to a lee shore and has a problem or issue with a boat he has only seen in pictures, has gone over once, and is by himself with experience on small boats.

Its all good though. I am just cautious and overly safe maybe. I hope he gets through it ok and he probably will. Hopefully he posts some pictures so we can enjoy his adventure. I wish him well.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___________________________
S/V Haleakala (Hawaiian for" House of the Sun")
C&C 35 MKIII Hull # 76
Parkville, Maryland
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 03-12-2013 at 01:55 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #37  
Old 03-12-2013
GMFL's Avatar
Large Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 253
Thanks: 5
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 5
GMFL is on a distinguished road
Re: virgin

Since you've asked twice, though I don't see the relevance; No, I don't have kids, however, I grew up on the water, been sailing/boating since I was one or two. So I'm pretty sure I'd raise kids exactly like me. I've been taking trips to Catalina Since I was about 12 with another good friend the same age, by ourselves. No Adult. So, yes, I think I'd allow my children to do the same.

I think I'd trust someone who said they were racing dinghy's much more than someone who claims to have raced on their friends 40' Catalina BTW.


Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I hope he gets through it ok and he probably will. Hopefully he posts some pictures so we can enjoy his adventure. I wish him well.
Sounds good, lets leave it at that.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #38  
Old 03-12-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Beacon, NY
Posts: 1,900
Thanks: 13
Thanked 59 Times in 57 Posts
Rep Power: 8
miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
I've got to learn to leave threads like this alone.
The posters seldom want to hear anything that doesn't re-affirm their desires.

Seriously, Runswithscissors has said he's gone, let's hope he comes back and rubs the wonder and thrill of the trip in our faces.
I'd much rather that happen than someone post a link to a news article.
While I think his chances of success have been grossly over rated in this thread, I do wish him the best luck. And luck is what he will need. A boat he has never seen before, that he got from a charity auction (IE they could not give it away) and he wants to leave the day after he takes possession. He has no offshore experience and does not even know the area? People here have been saying "take a life vest and a hand held VHF" and no one has said it is a REALLY BAD IDEA, saddens me. This has Coast Guard written all over it. Adrenalin junkie fulfilling is not worth the risk of life an money of the Coast Guard as they have thin enough resources as it is.

My guess is that he is more troll than real though as I can't imagine trying this and I have done some stupid things in my day! Sorry that I did not say what he wanted to hear, could not in good conscience do that.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #39  
Old 03-12-2013
chef2sail's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,828
Thanks: 28
Thanked 53 Times in 49 Posts
Rep Power: 7
chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
While I think his chances of success have been grossly over rated in this thread, I do wish him the best luck. And luck is what he will need. A boat he has never seen before, that he got from a charity auction (IE they could not give it away) and he wants to leave the day after he takes possession. He has no offshore experience and does not even know the area? People here have been saying "take a life vest and a hand held VHF" and no one has said it is a REALLY BAD IDEA, saddens me. This has Coast Guard written all over it. Adrenalin junkie fulfilling is not worth the risk of life an money of the Coast Guard as they have thin enough resources as it is.

My guess is that he is more troll than real though as I can't imagine trying this and I have done some stupid things in my day! Sorry that I did not say what he wanted to hear, could not in good conscience do that.
You said what I ws thinking too...didnt make sense.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___________________________
S/V Haleakala (Hawaiian for" House of the Sun")
C&C 35 MKIII Hull # 76
Parkville, Maryland
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #40  
Old 03-12-2013
GMFL's Avatar
Large Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 253
Thanks: 5
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 5
GMFL is on a distinguished road
Re: virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
While I think his chances of success have been grossly over rated in this thread, I do wish him the best luck. And luck is what he will need.
That's pretty funny. Replies some people make. The mentality here sometimes seems to be that unless you've already made many ocean crossings, you should never attempt one. Not even a coastal trip in cloudless 70 degree weather with no wind or swell where he'll be motoring most of the way. True, the boat may or may not be up to the challenge but you nor I know that either way. He can find that out on his own I'd assume, and decide if he wants to make the trip.

Typical American thinking has always been to take chances. Imagine if people never did that and stayed ashore or didn't start a business because they thought they might loose everything and therefore didn't try. Sure, he's not finding new worlds or risking a life's savings on a business endevor, all the better.

Have fun, get in trouble, find yourself in a challenging situation and use your know how or lack of it to get out of it. That's what life's about if you ask me. Sure a Boat U.S. membership might be a good idea and a reliable VHF too. I'm pretty sure Henry Dana or Josh Slocum didn't have those and they both lived to pen some pretty great stories about their adventures.

OR, he can take the other route, not take on an adventure, sit on his couch and post to sailnet all day. IDK, that doesn't sound like too much fun to me, maybe I'm different.
Shinook likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Watermaker Virgin TQA Gear & Maintenance 15 12-27-2013 01:38 PM
Virgin Islands captcore Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 6 11-24-2011 07:47 AM
Virgin sailor... jobi Introduce Yourself 3 05-16-2010 10:26 PM
Hello from St Thomas, US Virgin Islands STTnBama Introduce Yourself 2 01-26-2009 01:16 AM
virgin islands agoodman Chartering 2 01-28-2005 09:17 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:31 AM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.