Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2013
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFL View Post
That's pretty funny. Replies some people make. The mentality here sometimes seems to be that unless you've already made many ocean crossings, you should never attempt one. Not even a coastal trip in cloudless 70 degree weather with no wind or swell where he'll be motoring most of the way. True, the boat may or may not be up to the challenge but you nor I know that either way. He can find that out on his own I'd assume, and decide if he wants to make the trip.

Typical American thinking has always been to take chances. Imagine if people never did that and stayed ashore or didn't start a business because they thought they might loose everything and therefore didn't try. Sure, he's not finding new worlds or risking a life's savings on a business endevor, all the better.

Have fun, get in trouble, find yourself in a challenging situation and use your know how or lack of it to get out of it. That's what life's about if you ask me. Sure a Boat U.S. membership might be a good idea and a reliable VHF too. I'm pretty sure Henry Dana or Josh Slocum didn't have those and they both lived to pen some pretty great stories about their adventures.

OR, he can take the other route, not take on an adventure, sit on his couch and post to sailnet all day. IDK, that doesn't sound like too much fun to me, maybe I'm different.
But I doubt Henry Diana and Joshua Slocum would have done it in an un-founded boat. I am all for taking risks but it has to be a known risk. Chances of a charity auction boat even having a reliably working engine is slim.

Yea everyone has to have a first offshore experience but why encourage someone to do it on the first time they even see the boat?

T Abbey did off shore without any experience but it was a brand new boat. Slocum spent a year rebuilding the spray.
No one is saying not to have an adventure but at least find out if the boat is sound first.

By the way I don't think "having fun" is worth risking the Coast Guard over I would like them to be available if I need them.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
chef2sail likes this.

Last edited by miatapaul; 03-12-2013 at 11:02 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Re: virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithsisors View Post
ty overboard, sounds as if you know the area. i have check the weather an agree this will be the week for the trip. as i read it tis only a bit over 100 miles so it should be only a ten or twelvre hour trip, baring any problems. sounde like i will be beating it all the way
Wow must be a very fast boat!!
Old 03-12-2013
Large Member

GMFL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
But I doubt Henry Diana and Joshua Slocum would have done it in an un-founded boat. I am all for taking risks but it has to be a known risk. Chances of a charity auction boat even having a reliably working engine is slim.

Yea everyone has to have a first offshore experience but why encourage someone to do it on the first time they even see the boat?

T Abbey did off shore without any experience but it was a brand new boat. Slocum spent a year rebuilding the spray.
No one is saying not to have an adventure but at least find out if the boat is sound first.

Yes, because boats in the 1800's were built exactly like those of today. Your arguments are getting a bit tiresome. He said he was going to go through it. What more do you want from the guy?
It's ok if you're in a brand new boat? Really? Now who's the troll?
Old 03-12-2013
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yes, because boats in the 1800's were built exactly like those of today. Your arguments are getting a bit tiresome. He said he was going to go through it. What more do you want from the guy?
It's ok if you're in a brand new boat? Really? Now who's the troll?
Yes he was going to go over it for a day. Arriving on Thursday leaving in Saturday. What I would want for him is to not be reckless.

No need to buy a new boat just make sure the boat is safe. I think it is obvious whi is being the troll.

Old 03-12-2013

scratchee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The mentality here sometimes seems to be that unless you've already made many ocean crossings, you should never attempt one.
As I said in an earlier post, it's sometimes difficult to strike the right balance between skepticism and encouragement. But I'm sure you're aware that your statement above is a gross oversimplification. To the point of being actually untrue. In the whole history of human endeavors, the one thing held in common by people who succeed at difficult things is preparation. The OP showed extremely obvious signs of not being prepared for this trip. What's wrong with pointing this out to him? He asked for suggestions and that's what he got. Honest, sensible suggestions.
miatapaul likes this.
Old 03-12-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Paul-
"T Abbey did off shore without any experience but it was a brand new boat."
And by her own words, in her own article about the trip, she said but for the grace of the gods she would have missed her first landfall in Bermuda and probably died at sea, because she didn't really know how to use the sextant. Or something very similar to that. I remember that point from her article very clearly, that it was pure dumb luck she survived the start of the trip, and learned enough to get better at things as she continued on.

Hey, if the guy runs with scissors but has had years of good luck doing so...maybe luck is all he needs.

I wish folks would have reminded him, not to bother the USCG during meals or after regular hours. Hold the mayday calls until 0800 hours, as a simple courtesy.
Old 03-12-2013

I just checked out a recently sold Ericson 26 from Newport Beach (charity auction) on eBay, only it was 1971, not 1973. I wonder if it's the same one? One thing I noticed is that it has been relisted at least twice due to nonpayment by the winning bidders. The most recent sale was 19 February, for $1600. It seems to be in pretty decent shape (from...you know...the pictures.)
Old 03-12-2013
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchee View Post
As I said in an earlier post, it's sometimes difficult to strike the right balance between skepticism and encouragement. But I'm sure you're aware that your statement above is a gross oversimplification. To the point of being actually untrue. In the whole history of human endeavors, the one thing held in common by people who succeed at difficult things is preparation. The OP showed extremely obvious signs of not being prepared for this trip. What's wrong with pointing this out to him? He asked for suggestions and that's what he got. Honest, sensible suggestions.
Because nothing was mentioned about preparation. It was about experience. Two different entities. Go back an read through. He mentions he's going to give the boat a good going through and ready her for the sail. That's it. I'll take him for his word. That's the preparation. He was ridiculed for his lack of experience on "open ocean sailing" on a coastal cruise. Totally different discussions.

Please send me a list of that "whole history of human endeavors" I'd love to read about it. Doing a coastal cruise in a sound boat with NO weather and knowing how to sail isn't quite climbing Everest. Maybe on the East coast it is, IDK, never sailed there.

Nothing is wrong with pointing out something to someone who's asking for the suggestion. Nothing at all. What's wrong is the ridicule and belittling he felt he received from those posts. To call them "suggestions" would be a stretch.

This thread is getting silly. The OP isn;t even here.
Old 03-12-2013

Gaining experience is an important part of preparation.

When someone tells me he plans to sail a 26 foot sailboat 100 miles in 10 hours, I am going to draw the conclusion that he has neither experience nor preparation backing him up.
Old 03-13-2013
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchee View Post
I just checked out a recently sold Ericson 26 from Newport Beach (charity auction) on eBay, only it was 1971, not 1973. I wonder if it's the same one? One thing I noticed is that it has been relisted at least twice due to nonpayment by the winning bidders. The most recent sale was 19 February, for $1600. It seems to be in pretty decent shape (from...you know...the pictures.)

MUST be the same boat, year is wrong, didn't mention he founded it on ebay, said he talked with the owners son and was at a charity auction. That's the one. I'm guessing you'd have posted a link if you were serious? Guess you're not. I, you, don't know? Stupid to make that assumption.

There are MANY boats in Newport and elsewhere that are donated to charity and auctioned or sold off. To make the assumption that they are derelict is unfounded. Maybe the owners want to benefit the charities with a nice donation? That ever come to mind?

Here, unlike you, I'll supply a link to a few, very nice, "charity" boats. All donated to help us poor saps who can't afford a newer one. Do a quick comparison if you like, most of these are listed for much less than like boats on the sell sites. I've seen them in person, not just the pics, very nice boats.

Boats For Sale | www.occsailing.com

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.