Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2013
Large Member

GMFL is on a distinguished road
Re: virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post

Why are you so defensive to posters who may disagree with your point of view and taking it personally? Scissorboy may have in actuallity been a troll.
Shoot, just lost my response somehow, don't have time to re-type it.

I'm not defensive to posters who disagree with me at all. Matter of fact, I enjoy the debate, I'm wrong sometimes. (not often though )

A guy posted and said give me help on this issue, i'd appreciate it. He didn't get that; He got, DONT do it, you'll die. (paraphrased of course) I disagree with that response. Plain and simple .

Maybe he was a troll, I don't know.

I've attempted to bow out of this before and didn't' have much success, I'll try harder this time.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFL View Post
He said 10-12 BTW.

Here, a math test for you. How off was he? What would be a more realistic number? 14hours? 16 hours? Would you (and others who have posted the same Q) have been happy with that number? What are the tides doing? What is the wind direction? See where I'm going? Many variables, it was a throw away comment he made I'm guessing, he never clarified it.

Call it exaggeration maybe? IDK, this is a petty argument for his overall situation though.
Given a water line of 20.5 feet and using 1.34 X square root of 20.5 gives a potential hull speed of 6.06 knots, that is equal to 6.97 MPH so it would take 14.33 and that assumes no wave action, and a straight line and no currents. Chances of being able to do full hull speed is unlikely. Sitting there with the motor going full bore for 20 hours does not seem like much of an adrenaline rush to me, more annoying.

I have looked at several charity boats (at least 8), and most are not in good enough shape to take a 300 mile coastal cruse without at least a few repairs. Normally if it is going to a charity auction it is because it either needs some repairs, or they cannot sell it in the current shape.
Old 03-13-2013
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Given a water line of 20.5 feet and using 1.34 X square root of 20.5 gives a potential hull speed of 6.06 knots, that is equal to 6.97 MPH so it would take 14.33 and that assumes no wave action, and a straight line and no currents. Chances of being able to do full hull speed is unlikely. Sitting there with the motor going full bore for 20 hours does not seem like much of an adrenaline rush to me, more annoying.

I have looked at several charity boats (at least 8), and most are not in good enough shape to take a 300 mile coastal cruse without at least a few repairs. Normally if it is going to a charity auction it is because it either needs some repairs, or they cannot sell it in the current shape.
OK Paul, (a Miata? Really? Ok, I digress..)

So I'm right with my math...

No one said he was buying a "charity" boat. He said he was buying a boat donated to a charity. Believe me, many people donate perfectly good, sound boats to charities for auction to, you know, support the charity?? But, I guess, you've researched them all and know they are all POS's right?

The link I posted above with boats for sale have all been donated. Dr. Laura donates about one a year to support the OCC Sailing Center which is then sold off (after two years for some tax reason I guess) as a donated boat to help support a sailing center. I guarantee you, her's , nor any of the others are in poor shape.

Maybe, you're looking into the wrong charities? Like the ones advertised on the radio, "Donate your boat to Cars R Us and get a great tax deduction" IDK.

At this point. Really. Who cares?
Old 03-13-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"(after two years for some tax reason I guess) "
Ah, yes, if that's news to you, then you haven't really looked at vehicle donations in any detail. The IRS code values the donated vehicle at whatever someone actually pays for it, so if you donate a boat with a BUC value of $100,000 but someone only pays $10k for it? Your deduction is $10k.
Unless the charity puts the vehicle into use for their own purposes, for a minimum of two years. In that case, they're allowed to value it at fair market value, instead of whatever it gets sold for.
Speaking strictly from an East Coast point of view, the boats that get donated to charities here usually are boats that couldn't be sold. If you want to help the charity, you sell the boat for top dollar and give them money. If you can't sell the boat for what you want...eventually they get donated and left as someone else's problem.
"Here's my Mercedes it just came off lease" is a very very rare donation. Among other things, because the donor has to wait and then gamble on what the item will be sold for. That's been IRS policy for maybe a decade now.
Old 03-13-2013
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"(after two years for some tax reason I guess) "
Ah, yes, if that's news to you, then you haven't really looked at vehicle donations in any detail. The IRS code values the donated vehicle at whatever someone actually pays for it, so if you donate a boat with a BUC value of $100,000 but someone only pays $10k for it? Your deduction is $10k.
Unless the charity puts the vehicle into use for their own purposes, for a minimum of two years. In that case, they're allowed to value it at fair market value, instead of whatever it gets sold for.
Speaking strictly from an East Coast point of view, the boats that get donated to charities here usually are boats that couldn't be sold. If you want to help the charity, you sell the boat for top dollar and give them money. If you can't sell the boat for what you want...eventually they get donated and left as someone else's problem.
"Here's my Mercedes it just came off lease" is a very very rare donation. Among other things, because the donor has to wait and then gamble on what the item will be sold for. That's been IRS policy for maybe a decade now.

Great reply! You schooled me about IRS rules and ignored every link I posted regarding donated boats. But! You added some irrelivent info about boats that are donated to rid the owner of the burden

As I'm sure you know. There are other reasons people donate boats other than to "gamble on what the item will be sold for".

Sad people think the way you do.