Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Thinking of removing my traveler. Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sony2000 View Post
In restoring my Paceship29, I noted other boats control of the boom without travelers. This picture is an updated 70s style control, from off the end of the boom. Then trying the same on the Paceship.
There's no 'traveller' function with the setup pictured here.. you can dispense with a traveller if you have two separately controllable sheets in that configuration, but it's a relative PITA to use. Some Niagaras and C&Cs used the dual sheet setup mid boom to the cabin top that way.

It works but you've got two piles of mainsheet tail in the cockpit and when you're trying to set up proper angle of attack and luff tension it's always two sheets to set up.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2013
crew available

marvin brinn is on a distinguished road

get rid of it
it is realy only used in racing to give the sail twist by bringing the car to windward.It is a pain in the butt where it is placed evoking cursewords from those who go down below
use your vang and move the end of the mainsheet to the cabintop or the back of the boom
Old 03-13-2013
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin brinn View Post
get rid of it
it is realy only used in racing to give the sail twist by bringing the car to windward.It is a pain in the butt where it is placed evoking cursewords from those who go down below
use your vang and move the end of the mainsheet to the cabintop or the back of the boom
lmao, only in racing... priceless. Same goes for low stretch line right?
Or only when people want to properly shape the main.
One can say things like "I'm a cruiser" or "I don't race" to make excuses for being a poor sailor, or they can learn how to trim sails properly.

Do not get rid of the traveler. Fix it and replace the line.
Old 03-13-2013

scratchee is on a distinguished road

Thanks folks. All kinds of great info. Definitely a lot to think about, and try.

Adjustable cam cleat, eh? Well I'll be... Next thing you'll tell me, my all-fabric forestay unrolls into a jib!
Old 03-14-2013

Navigator Wannabe is on a distinguished road

Why don't you just try it? it looks like tying your main sheet block to the ring is a 30 second affair. Just check how that ring is mounted first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchee View Post
Here's a picture of my traveler (I think...hopefully there's a picture down there.)

That block on the side of the cockpit (the seatback) is all messed up, and moving the traveler basically requires sliding it over by hand, and feeding the line as it goes. So my first thought was to replace the blocks. I also considered some other solutions that might make the whole thing work easier while reducing the footprint, for example blocks at the ends of the track.

But now I'm thinking about taking the whole thing off, including the track, and securing the mainsheet to that ring between the winch handle pockets (holding the transmission lever in the photo.) My typical sail shaping is somewhat rudimentary, just tightening here and there to make the luff and the telltales look right. I don't do any racing and will rarely get more than 25 miles from home (which means, never leaving the Chesapeake.) I'm almost exclusively weekend sailing. To be honest, the most important thing I do with the traveler is get the sheet out of the way of the companionway.

On the other hand, just pinning the sheet in the center would open up some seating options in the cockpit, and would keep things simple.

Unless there's some major performance issue I'm not aware of, the biggest potential drawback might be a future buyer who is disappointed that the boat doesn't have a traveler.

I'd love to hear some opinions. Will I not point as well? Can good use of the boom vang make up for a stationary mainsheet? Under what scenario would I regret not having a traveler?

Old 03-14-2013
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough

You could also install a padeye on the cockpit sole. We used a fixed Wichard for our sheet, but a folding eye would be less underfoot. It would serve for your mainsheet experiment, plus additional harness tie-in. Or a place to clip water bottles. Always nice to have more clip points on a boat. If your traveler setup stinks, you won't use it. If you don't use it, better off to have a fixed mainsheet.

It's nice if you can decouple boom downforce from sheeting angle, which is what a traveler does for you, but lots of people get by w/out. Dumping the mainsheet during gusts on larger boats is simply not feasible. Way too much force. On small boats, we have that option. As someone notes above, tho, easing the main actually increases sail draft, and then your leech twists off & starts flogging. At that point, probably best to reef the main & steer to the puffs.
Old 03-14-2013

Philzy3985 is on a distinguished road

Just my opinion. If it was my boat I would do it the way Denise030 shows. Exactly that way.

You'll be able to keep the traveler sheet in your hand if you are sailing in heavy weather to dump the sail all while trimming back the main. Also, just for the "light air" sailing benefit alone, keep and use a traveler. Also, it disperses the load and makes trimming the sail easier.

If you never want to worry about it again, and maintain some of the re-sale value, buy a brand new traveler set up like in Denise030's picture. If you do that, see if you can measure the existing holes and see if Garhuer or whoever is making it can get that template or something close, therefore installing it would be easier.

I understand the argument to simplify and that it'll sail without the traveler, but every time you get frustrated because your sailboat isn't performing or cooperating like it should, you'll regret 'making things simpler'

Also, I would not allow the load pressure from a mainsheet to pull on that little two-bolt ring.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.