Problem/Issues experienced with backpacks and duffle bags carried along - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2013
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Re: Problem/Issues experienced with backpacks and duffle bags carried along

Some bags need to be waterproof or close to it. That would be nice. One complaint about my harken roll top bag is that there is no inner pocket for a wallet/key/phone. If you put something small into it, it eventually works it's way to the bottom, requiring you to pull everything out of the bag to get your keys. Frustrating, but it is very waterproof.

For a backpack, I like the size and versitility of the military style packs. Lots of sizes to choose from, I just picked up one of these for a survival pack.

Edit: +1 on 'plastic' zippers. Nothing is worse than having a good pack with a rusted zipper jumping teeth and jamming. Open or closed.
Old 03-13-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

Best bags come from the Man-O-War Cay Sail Loft. I have bags 20+ years old that have been washed 50+ times that look like they could still be sitting on the shelf. Figure out a way to water proof them and your golden.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

I have a lot of gear for lugging stuff. Some for carrying my home on the trail for a few weeks. Some for moving stuff onto and off the boats. Some for "day hikes", some for canoe trips and some for general use ie. shopping. I have various "Dry bags" that do seal up and will keep gear dry while floating down the river.

I can not imagine a single piece of gear I would choose from my "collection" that will do everything well.

My frame pack is for the trail and portaging from the canoe. It is an external frame pack "Adventure 16" I purchased in 1972! I haven't seen or tried anything since that compares for comfort and convenience.

My "Day packs", I have several, are light weight and have lots of shock cord and loops attached for external storage. They should have at least two internal pockets. Three or more is better. A couple of external "pockets that will hold a drink bottle. Not necessarily waterproof. No camelback bladder. If I need a drink I should welcome the opportunity to stop for a swallow.

My favorite "boat bags" I purchased from L.L. Bean many years ago. They do not sell them any more! They should! They look like their traditional tote but are wider with a flat bottom. Two strong nylon handles that can serve as shoulder straps for short trips. There is also a long adjustable nylon shoulder strap with snap hooks that fasten to D rings. They are made of hypalon. Are waterproof! and have nylon zippers around the top. The entire top flap folds back with two zippers so it can be opened and closed from either direction. If you toss or set one into a dinghy the contents stay dry! They carry a lot of stuff! They flatten out and can be rolled up for storage. They stuff into irregular spaces while partially full, too.

I have 6 of them. 4 red ones a green one and a blue one, all with hd black bottoms. One now has two pair of X-C boots, gloves, goggles, wax, hats, etc. stored in it. It just returned from a week in the mountains. Another one is transporting some power tools, batteries, charger, etc. back and forth to the boat. Three are parked in a 4th and do duty as needed. Groceries, tools, clothing (they make great carry on bags because of their flexibility).

Why Bean doesn't manufacture these any more Is certainly a profit margin issue. Too bad! They are GREAT! If I were to improve their design I would use a transparent material for the "top sides" of these bags so I could see the contents. I choose "dry bags" for that feature and often store several in a large "dry bag" when canoeing.

Down

Last edited by downeast450; 03-13-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-13-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

I have a variety of backpacks, day packs and duffle type bags as do most cruisers after a while.

The biggest difficulty is always the zips.

The metal zip pull corrodes and jams to the zip making the whole pack useless.

salt air gets everywhere into a boat, and dinghy.

The trendy sailing packs you roll up the mouth and clip it secure.

A daypack, duffel etc with CLIPs instead of zips would be a big reason to buy for me!
Old 03-13-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

even plastic zippers become useless.
waterpruf would be a blessing.
zippers on cat carriers need to be made well and impervious to wet air..have a sherpa backpack style carrier that is almost impossible to use nymore due to the zippers, which are plastic, becoming jammed seriously and forever despite dry teflon spray--at the price of nearly 60 dollars each i would hope for a longer ability to use--mine failed at less than one year.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-15-2013

ameek is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
Best bags come from the Man-O-War Cay Sail Loft. I have bags 20+ years old that have been washed 50+ times that look like they could still be sitting on the shelf. Figure out a way to water proof them and your golden.
Hi, just tried to find some pictures of them. Managed to find 1-2 but not many, by any chance can you please post few pics. Also, which company zipper is on these bags. Ykk?
Thanks again
Old 03-15-2013

ameek is on a distinguished road

Thanks a lot for all the replies, I am going through all of them and I will try to solve most of these problems in my design. I will keep everyone posted on how the final product is turning out to be
Old 03-15-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

army duffels are awesome--cheap and stowable...too huge, tho....

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 03-15-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

I polled my backpacks and they all agree, they are the proverbial children of Lake Woebegone, every one of them is well above average.

When I sent The Ancient One back to Jansport because there was no more fabric left on the seams, they apologized and said they just don't make them out of that lightweight fabric anymore. The new packs are all about 4x as heavy but the old lighter fabric didn't wear as well. Durable fabric, straps, clips, padding, that stuff is all freaking HEAVY.

The replacements they offered were a fairly basic "book" bag with one main pouch and one smaller, or a fancy thing with pockets and pouches and whatnot, which seemed useless for lugging groceries and the like as The Ancient One could. But after a while I found all those pockets meant an orgnaized sailing bag. Food and drinks here, dry things there, this pouch for the VHF only, this clip just right for the flashlight of last recourse.

Of course that's still a "bookbag" sized pack, it isn't the hauler I use as a check-on bag, which happens to work very nicely at eating three or four bags of groceries. Chafe? Fit? Yeah, straps and selection and loading accomodate all that. No one pack can or will fit two different prople with bodies in two different sizes and shapes.

Ventilation? Ah, that's where my frame pack proves it can't be beat for serious work like backpacking. I think they invented mesh backbands for that 35 years ago, the allow the pack to stay completely separated from the mule, ergh, person, and fully ventilated.

I will say that I've seen a lot of nice little tweaks, compound curving, clever improvements on new packs. They've improved since the standard alpin rucksack and WWI. But I'd call waxed cloth a step backwards. It is flammable, highly flammable. And the wax has to be renewed regularly. Waxed barn coats fell out of fashion for a reason, folks don't have buckets of sheep tallow conveniently around the house any more. And sailcloth...used it is not of regular properties. New, it is arguably the wrong qualities, although North has used it for bags for 30? years mainly for the aesthetics for sailors. And to make use of their large scrap supply, which they "must" buy.

Now, how about a backpack with a luminous interior, or at least, a luminous bottom panel, so I could see what really was down there, without needing to dump it all out? And some generous flaps over the zippers, to keep it dry in the rain? And a zipper between the compartments, so I could open it all up from all over, for the bigger stuff?

Tags
bags , oceans , sailing