Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By svHyLyte
  • 1 Post By denverd0n

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2013

seaojoe is on a distinguished road
relocating to Sarasota

Heading out to do some research for coastal cruising in the Sarasota area. Will be land based. Long time east coast (cold winters) sailors heading south for a warmer option.
Looking for input using Sarasota as a base. Marina repair facility, cruising destinations, sailing support and more.
Thanks in advance.
Flying out in a few hours.
Cheers!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: relocating to Sarasota

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaojoe View Post
Heading out to do some research for coastal cruising in the Sarasota area. Will be land based. Long time east coast (cold winters) sailors heading south for a warmer option.
Looking for input using Sarasota as a base. Marina repair facility, cruising destinations, sailing support and more.
Thanks in advance.
Flying out in a few hours.
Cheers!
The availability of resources in the Sarasota/Bradenton/Tampa Bay area are too numerous to list. For a partial listing see Activecaptain.com.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 03-13-2013

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

And if you don't like what you find in Sarasota/Bradenton/Tampa Bay then Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda/Ft. Myers/Naples is only a short distance further south. You have to put up with shallow water in a lot of areas, but other than that we have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to sailing/marine resources in this area.
Old 03-13-2013
Old as Dirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
And if you don't like what you find in Sarasota/Bradenton/Tampa Bay then Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda/Ft. Myers/Naples is only a short distance further south. You have to put up with shallow water in a lot of areas, but other than that we have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to sailing/marine resources in this area.
Don't push it Don... We've got enough traffic here as it is. Carry on like that too much and all those characters from up north 'ill be down here and in no time flat schooners of beer will have to be 15.999 Oz's, raw 'Arstyers 'ill be illegal and even Barnacles 'll be considered an endangered species...
CalebD likes this.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 03-13-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 03-13-2013

Not to worry. Soon enough someone will post about how awful Florida is, how the cops are all Nazis, the registration fees and taxes are outrageously high, there's no place to anchor anymore, and it's all just bugs and alligators and swamps anyway.

Oh yeah. I almost forgot. All that stuff is absolutely true, too. Really it is. You don't want to come here. Trust me.
CalebD likes this.
Old 03-13-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

And if you don't believe a few Florida locals you can just read some books about Florida.
Carl Hiaasen has a bunch of novels about the dark underbelly of living in Florida; most of his stories are based on real newspaper stories he has come across in his lifetime as a writer for the Miami Herald. He now writes a weekly opinion column there: Carl Hiaasen | MiamiHerald.com

If Carl Hiaasen is too liberal for you then try Randy Wayne White's books. One of my favorites of his Doc Ford mysteries is this one:
The Man Who Invented Florida (Dead Letter Mysteries): Randy Wayne White: 9780312953980: Amazon.com: Books The Man Who Invented Florida (Dead Letter Mysteries): Randy Wayne White: 9780312953980: Amazon.com: Books

It is a corrupt political state with invasive species all over the place and rampant over development but there is still a little of the old Florida left if you look hard enough. But you really can't complain about the weather until a few hurricanes hit your area in one year, or your boat gets struck by lightning. Florida is the lightning captial of the US after all.

And forget about the cops being Nazis as everyone carries or owns a gun or three. If I could work it out I'd move to the south west coast in a heart beat.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
It is a corrupt political state with invasive species all over the place and rampant over development...
Oh man! I forgot about that stuff. And the guns. They let people own and carry guns down here. Have done for nearly 30 years now. Every little argument turns into a gunfight. Really. The rumors that the murder rate here is lower than any other surrounding state? Don't believe it.

Really, you want to stay away.
Old 03-14-2013
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road

I'm tempted. If I could find good employment or grow my moonlighting endeavors, Florida is at the top of my list as a base for my sailing dreams.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-15-2013
Old as Dirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaltersmi View Post
I'm tempted. If I could find good employment or grow my moonlighting endeavors, Florida is at the top of my list as a base for my sailing dreams.
There's always room for one more. And, I'm sure a knowledgeable Biologist could find work as the healthcare industry is booming here.
Old 03-16-2013

seaojoe is on a distinguished road

I first moved to Ft Lauderdale in the 1970, after returning from the military. Worked the bars, construction, sailed the sorc and watched Lauderdale grow from a big town to xxx large city. met the admiral and migrated north.

i've sailed a bunch on the east coast, bimini, the bahamas, and only daysailed twice on the gulf.

looking at the charts it seems that cruising appears to be better south of sarasota, as mentioned in an earlier reply.

i'll be heading out today to get another look.

as for erysters, did my share of damage to them over the last few days.

stopped by marina jacks to see the final outcome of the mooring field that was taken over by the city and now managed by marina jacks. its hard to believe that the amount of boats that were displaced. took a long time, but it happened. some of the essence of 'kroosers' have moved on.

thanks for the replies.