SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

EPIRB or PLB for coastal cruising

8K views 35 replies 16 participants last post by  jackdale 
#1 · (Edited)
I can't decide which of these two devices is best for my intended purposes - mid-Atlantic coastal hopping, no more than 100 miles offshore. I don't want to spend the money for both.

The benefits of the PLB is lower cost and ability to clip to my life jacket or harness for a fall overboard. The disadvantage is shorter battery life when activated and need to keep antenna above water for transmission.

The benefit of an EPIRB is extended signal, automatic activation, and ability to function by floating in the water by itself. The downside is initial cost.

Your thoughts?

#35 ·
I respectfully disagree. While battery life is one difference, the primary difference is whether the unit operates floating on its own, or whether it must be held above water/attached to a person.

By the way, older ACR ResQLink products have been COSPAS-SARSAT approved. This is a relatively new PLB model.

#36 · (Edited)
The differences between EPIRBs and PLBs
Personal Location Beacons work in exactly the same way as EPIRBs by sending a coded message on the 406 MHz distress frequency which is relayed via the Cospas-Sarsat global satellite system.

However, there are a number of differences between them. PLBs are designed to be carried on the person so they are much smaller, some such as the Fast find are not much larger than the size of a mobile phone. PLBs are designed to be used anywhere in the world, on the sea and also on land. Some don't float but may come with an additional floatational sleeve which they should be carried in.

PLBs, once activated, will transmit for a minimum of 24 hours; while the battery life on an EPIRB is at least double (a minimum of 48 hours). An EPIRB is registered to a vessel, whereas a PLB is registered to a person. This means that if you are crewing a yacht and you swicth to a new yacht the plb is still correctly registered; however, if you have an EPIRB and buy a new yacht you will need to re-register it when installing in your new boat.
Since I do not own a boat I carry an PLB (Aqualink). It floats and is waterproof. It also has a clip to attach to my pfd and a lanyard to prevent loss.

On ocean deliveries we have an EPIRB.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.