Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2013

boz86 is on a distinguished road
current boat fitting interior mirrors/glass?

Hi,

Refitting a 84 era boat with new mirrors and sliding glass, and the old material (acrylic with mirrored laminate backing) seems to be hard for my glass supplier to find.

What is the current standard? Tempered glass mirrors? Something else?

Thanks,
Boz
Old 03-13-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: current boat fitting interior mirrors/glass?

I had no problem locating this material. Maritime Plastics in Annapolis fabricated mine from a pattern that I made from 'door skin' ply. A couple words of advice. I typically put self-adhering shelf liner plastic on the back of the mirror. Otherwise the silvering will be damaged by the motion of the boat wherever the plexi touches anything. I also make a small rabbetted 'plastic' base so that the edge of the mirror cannot touch water on the counter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2013

boz86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
I had no problem locating this material. Maritime Plastics in Annapolis fabricated mine from a pattern that I made from 'door skin' ply.

Thanks, I was trying to use a fabricator I found closer to home. If they don't go through I'll make the run to Annapolis.
Old 03-13-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

The stuff is available from any decent plastics supplier/fab shop. I just finished using 1/8" mirrored plexi to line the well of a big skylight I had installed on our house. My small supplier had some in stock but not enough so he had to order it in - couple of days. It's easily available in 1/8" and 1/4", I'm not sure about thicker sizes. Costs about $200 for a 4 X 8 of 1/8" (here).

If you cut your own on a table saw or router table, do it face down - the face has protective film but the back side doesn't and it scratches easily. If you use a jig saw, do it face up. Lot's of teeth on the cutter and slow speed or it will melt rather than cut its way through.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook