SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Boating safety classes (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/97551-boating-safety-classes.html)

chuck53 03-13-2013 12:15 PM

Boating safety classes

Quick question for all you sailing gurus....
Most states now require the boating safety class as a minimum to be at the helm of a boat.
If you take the ASA 101 class, does that qualify? I would think so, but just checking to be sure.

rockDAWG 03-13-2013 12:45 PM

Re: Boating safety classes

I am not sure about Virginia, but in MD Boating Safety is required for individual born after certain year. I took the course, they are mainly focusing on or for power boat, PWC and etc I remember.

I would take it just to cover all the angle. :)

jameswilson29 03-13-2013 01:23 PM

I took the free Boat/US course online - relatively fast and painless from the safety of my home: Free BoatUS Foundation Online Boating Safety Course

I am not sure why anyone pays for sailing lessons when there are so many books, free resources, and people looking for crew.

The Coast Guard Auxiliary is wonderful as is the Power Squadron, the exceptions to that advice. I took their boating safety class for a small fee 20 years ago to lower my insurance.

RobGallagher 03-13-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jameswilson29 (Post 1002098)
I took the free Boat/US course online - relatively fast and painless from the safety of my home: Free BoatUS Foundation Online Boating Safety Course

I am not sure why anyone pays for sailing lessons when there are so many books, free resources, and people looking for crew.

The Coast Guard Auxiliary is wonderful as is the Power Squadron, the exceptions to that advice. I took their boating safety class for a small fee 20 years ago to lower my insurance.

Some of us dumb asses just like to burn hundred dollar bills.

"The BoatUS Foundation's Online Course is NOT approved by the Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection to satisfy the mandatory education requirements for boaters and PWC operators."

I went took the ASA basic keelboat class and it included the CT "boaters license", but, not the personal watercraft endorsement.

I piss away money on all kinds of stupid stuff. It's a hobby. You should try it, oh...wait, you already have a hobby.

DRFerron 03-13-2013 01:38 PM

New Jersey does not accept online courses. They want butt in chair. (Just FYI)

I took ASA 101 in Pennsylvania and it did include the state boating test so I got the cert. You should check with the person giving the course.

egent 03-13-2013 03:32 PM

At the Philadelphia boat show this past weekend, I was talking the the guys in the US Power Squadron both. I showed them my card from Boaterexam.com from when I took the boater education course for Maryland. He informed me that because the card has the NASBLA approval logo on it that it is recognized New Jersey as well as Pennsylvania.

pcarlson 03-13-2013 03:35 PM

If you can, contact your local Coast Guard Auxiliary. They will have a boating safety class that should work. Cost is just for the materials usually $25 -$35 or so. Yes it is for power boats but lots of crossover stuff as well. They also have a sailing course that might meet the requirement in your area. Usually great instruction by very knowledgable people. Their mission is safe boating so they are into it.

DRFerron 03-13-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by egent (Post 1002129)
At the Philadelphia boat show this past weekend, I was talking the the guys in the US Power Squadron both. I showed them my card from Boaterexam.com from when I took the boater education course for Maryland. He informed me that because the card has the NASBLA approval logo on it that it is recognized New Jersey as well as Pennsylvania.

Good to hear that they relaxed that requirement. Thank you.

chuck53 03-13-2013 04:09 PM

I'm covered. I took Seamanship from both the CG Aux and Power Squadron. I ask about the ASA class because a lady I work with took ASA some years ago and we weren't sure if it met the requirements for VA's boating safety requirements.
Sounds like she will probably have to take the class.

rgscpat 03-13-2013 04:18 PM

Our state parks department offers a one-day "boating basics" class for free.