Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: Weatherfax audio file for testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombesore View Post
You inspired me to do my own little test this morning. I found that I was receiving solid signals (S9+20db) from the 4Kilowatt NMG New Orleans Coast Guard transmitters during their morning run of WEFAX transmissions. The image below was received through a modern HF amateur radio transceiver and fed into the Multimode for Mac program. The frequency was 8502 kHz USB.
Hi Tom,

That's pretty fuzzy. I rarely see anything that bad. Icom 802/AT140/SCS PTC-IIpro/Airmail-GetFax I was getting near-Internet quality pictures from Boston well East of Azores. Up and down the US East Coast I get Boston and New Orleans really well.

I've had similarly good results using a Kaito 1103 and JVCOMM32 with a big hunk of copper wire hauled up as high as possible. The antenna makes a big difference.

Did you collect your signal aboard the ferry at your club? Could there be interference from being at the dock or even from internal systems? On delivery I've had a number of noisy boats that required shutting systems down to get a good fax image -- obviously a pain if you're shutting down refrigeration for a six hour wefax cycle.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-14-2013
WindyCitySailor

tombesore is on a distinguished road

As for that fuzzy signal, I am wondering if I had the greyscale option selected instead of b/w. The signal was strong and noise is minimal. The antenna is a 140' long Windom stretched between the ship's mast.

I'll give it a try again and hope for better results .... also using the tuning tweaks suggested earlier in this thread. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 03-14-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You inspired me to do my own little test this morning. I found that I was receiving solid signals (S9+20db) from the 4Kilowatt NMG New Orleans Coast Guard transmitters during their morning run of WEFAX transmissions. The image below was received through a modern HF amateur radio transceiver and fed into the Multimode for Mac program. The frequency was 8502 kHz USB.

As you can see, the image is fair at best, even with a very solid S9 signal and modern reception gear. This is typical of the images I've been able to pull in. The pics are fair at best and most of the time I can barely make out the notations.

Has anyone else had better luck pulling in higher quality pictures over HF? Let's see what you got!

By the way, I also set my iPad next to the speaker with that BlackCat Wefax program running and, while the same image did appear on the iPad, it was far worse quality!

WEFAX Image
That's fairly distorted. I sometimes get similar results if I forget to turn off equipment like the converter. It looks like interference. Have you tried ferrite beads on cables? What kind of counterpoise?
Old 03-14-2013

RichH will become famous soon enough

Quote:
As for that fuzzy signal, I am wondering if I had the greyscale option selected instead of b/w. The signal was strong and noise is minimal. The antenna is a 140' long Windom stretched between the ship's mast.

I'll give it a try again and hope for better results .... also using the tuning tweaks suggested earlier in this thread. Thanks for the suggestions.
Try aligning your antenna to straight vertical as much as possible ... horizontally polarized antennas are subject to pick up a lot of 'noise' from automotive type spark ignition engines and are highly insensitive to signal coming in at the 'ends' ... better to be 90° from the broadcast origin; vertical antennas seem at times to better dampen out such automotive induced background noise and are more omnidirectional.

Last edited by RichH; 03-14-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-15-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post

I've had similarly good results using a Kaito 1103 and JVCOMM32 with a big hunk of copper wire hauled up as high as possible. The antenna makes a big difference.
Tell me about that "big hunk of copper wire".

I am thinking about a similar setup to use on my trips around Vancouver Island. Few of the boats have SSB.

Jack
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 03-15-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I don't understand why no one has made a patch cable and software that will connect an iPad directly to a Pacor modem. Getting weather over SSB is ridiculously complicated for the 21st century.
rockDAWG likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-15-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I don't understand why no one has made a patch cable and software that will connect an iPad directly to a Pacor modem. Getting weather over SSB is ridiculously complicated for the 21st century.
It does seem pretty archaic but I guess the population that uses hf is not big enough to spur tech geeks to do much research and invention. With satellite communication now available (for those who can afford it), I think HF will eventually be replaced. Once more companies get more satellites up there, maybe there will be some real competition to reduce the price of satellite links. Once every-day mobile devices go to satellite signals instead of land towers it should bring the cost down and supply reliable and clear signals to boats anywhere on the planet.
Old 03-15-2013

RichH will become famous soon enough

..... might be something for Sirius-XM radio to consider, huh?
Old 03-15-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
rockDAWG,

Here's a link to a sample audio file. It's a 24 Hour Surface Forecast WEFAX image transmitted by the US Coast Guard transmitters NMG on 8502kHz this morning around 7:30am central time. With this seemingly strong audio, my decode was readable but only marginal quality.

https://archive.org/download/WEFAXFi...20File%201.wav
Hey Tombesore,

Thanks for taking time to capture the sound file for me. I play it with iPAD just out of the computer speaker or headphone. THe weather chart is very distorted. In other words, it works. But need to obtain a better quality sound input for iPAD.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 03-15-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Exactly, 10x
Actually, Black Cat has address this.

iPad / iPhone / iPod Touch Microphone Adapter Wiring Diagram

The also posted another source - ready made solution. So I will look into it to see if it will work.

iPhone 1/8 inch line-level audio input adapter - 3.5mm 4 conductor TRRS Male to 3.5mm TRS Microphone Input Jack with built-in Attenuator

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.