Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Weatherfax audio file for testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Exactly, 10x
Actually, Black Cat has address this.

image deleted

iPad / iPhone / iPod Touch Microphone Adapter Wiring Diagram

The also posted another source - ready made solution. So I will look into it to see if it will work.

iPhone 1/8 inch line-level audio input adapter - 3.5mm 4 conductor TRRS Male to 3.5mm TRS Microphone Input Jack with built-in Attenuator
I don't really understand this. That iphone port is for headsets, meaning an output. How can it be used to accept input from an external source?

I thought someone may make a cable to connect to the rectangular port that is used for communication in both directions and charging.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
It does seem pretty archaic but I guess the population that uses hf is not big enough to spur tech geeks to do much research and invention......
That's probably it, but Pacor still seems to be in business. If I were them, I would think making the use of their device simpler, would sell more. Not to mention its free weather. No 3G subscription or wifi needed, so it would be useful to coastal cruisers too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
..... might be something for Sirius-XM radio to consider, huh?
They already have it. We have XM weather download into our aircraft. It's about $60 per month. Marine version available too, but also has a subscription and hardware cost. I believe late model chartplotters are designed to overlay the input.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 03-15-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I don't really understand this. That iphone port is for headsets, meaning an output. How can it be used to accept input from an external source?

I thought someone may make a cable to connect to the rectangular port that is used for communication in both directions and charging.
To my understand you need the Camera Connection adapter for iPAD.

In their site, it says:
========
With the Camera Connection Kit, you can plug a USB sound input device into the iPad, and use a patch cable between it and the radio's audio output. This is by far the best solution.
==========

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.

Last edited by rockDAWG; 03-15-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-15-2013
Señor Member

ottos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Don't forget about the microphone part of the headset...that seems to be what they're utilizing.
Old 03-15-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That's probably it, but Pacor still seems to be in business. If I were them, I would think making the use of their device simpler, would sell more. Not to mention its free weather. No 3G subscription or wifi needed, so it would be useful to coastal cruisers too.
There are some land-based packet modems but Pactor, in Germany, seems to be the only one making them focused on the boating population. At around $1400 bucks, they really are out of the mass market price range. I don't even like to think about how much money I spent on the SSB system. Hopefully it will last for a while and not become obsolete too quickly.
Old 03-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottos View Post
Don't forget about the microphone part of the headset...that seems to be what they're utilizing.
Of course. (Smacks palm on forehead)

Now that I think about it, the attachment to the Pactor modem should be Bluetooth. Dial in the freq on the SSB, fire up the modem and the ipad should connect itself. The rest should be a single tap on the screen. This has to be possible.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 03-16-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Tell me about that "big hunk of copper wire".

I am thinking about a similar setup to use on my trips around Vancouver Island. Few of the boats have SSB.
My big hunk of copper wire carried on delivery is the end of a spool I bought in the mid-70s from Lafayette Radio Electronics. It was sold as "antenna wire."

Any 12 gauge (+/-) wire will work. Insulated is probably better for our application. I'd get something tinned for a permanent installation but for a go-bag it doesn't make much difference.

I run it up as high as I can and try to get 50 or 60 feet out straight(ish).

For the Kaito 1103 you connect the wire to the tip of a 1/8" male mono plug, insulating it from the ring. Just plug it into the external antenna connector. Watch the audio connectors -- most laptops have a mono mic input and the headphone jacks on shortwave radios including the Kaito are often stereo.

I use JVCOMM32 for weather fax demodulation and display.
jackdale likes this.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 03-17-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

I use a split lead antenna. It has the advantages of being able to roll it up and stow it when the boat is in storage and also eliminates the need to splice so many failure points into your backstay such as in a standard insulated stay antenna. GAM / McKim Split Lead Antenna | GAM Electronics For portability, this might be a good option.
Old 03-19-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
I use a split lead antenna. It has the advantages of being able to roll it up and stow it when the boat is in storage and also eliminates the need to splice so many failure points into your backstay such as in a standard insulated stay antenna. GAM / McKim Split Lead Antenna | GAM Electronics For portability, this might be a good option.
For whatever it is worth I am not a fan of that product. It works on some boats and is a dismal failure on others. The lack of predictability makes me unhappy.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.