Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Ship collision - that is going to leave a mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I was re-acquainted with the acronym WAFI in that thread. Must remember.
Ok, my English is not good enough. I understand that means a Navy vessel and that the word F*** is part of it but I cannot make the rest. Please explain that to me

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-14-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Ok, my English is not good enough. I understand that means a Navy vessel and that the word F*** is part of it but I cannot make the rest. Please explain that to me

Regards

Paulo
Wind
Assisted
Effing
Idiot
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 03-14-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
I think that watch-keeping on ships is not always that good or professional. Off the coast of Ecuador we had a container ship coming directly at us from astern around noon on a bright, sunny day. One neat thing about AIS is that you can tell exactly that his course is the same as yours and when he will hit you. When I called him on the VHF to ask him what his passing intentions were I got a shocked Indian gentleman who immediately turned about 20 degrees to the left and started heading toward Easter Island (I would have been happy with 5 degrees). He had little excuse with radar, AIS, and eyeballs, but you could? perhaps, maybe, understand since we were probably the only vessels within 50 miles. In the Singapore Strait and other really busy spots there is absolutely no excuse.
Reminds me of my favorite description for situations like that: "Radar Assisted Collision".

Nevertheless, in busy shipping lanes - that's plural - things happen in a hurry. It's impossible to tell from the video alone, but perhaps one wrong helm order and the little guy strayed from his lane? It's not like they're marked on the ocean.

Still, this is Singapore. You can be sure there WILL be an enquiry and we can be fairly sure that at the end of said enquiry at least one Captain WILL NOT be a captain any more...

Quote:
One question, in this area do ships have pilots?
No. Not unless they're actually entering Singapore...

It's a scary enough place to be on a ship - hence anyone who is mad enough to sail through there on a yacht has my humble respect.

Last edited by Classic30; 03-14-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-14-2013

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

What makes you think they are watching at all? Way off Panama ,becalmed mid day. SV Sirius , copy of Slocum's Spray,. no electronics or engine., oncoming freighter Bob Carr,70 odd years old, flashes a mirror at the bridge .but they ram anyway and carry on. Dismasted, bulwarks gone, Bob gets towed into Costa Rica a couple of weeks later and it was all downhill from there, but that's another story.
Old 03-15-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

----Carnival trainees?
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-15-2013

pcarlson is on a distinguished road

OK now we know where that Italian cruse ship captain is working.
Old 03-16-2013

trantor12020 is on a distinguished road

Don't tell me that italian capitan is in Singapore!! WAFI !!! (What A F...king Idiot).
Old 03-16-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I think that watch-keeping on ships is not always that good or professional. Off the coast of Ecuador we had a container ship coming directly at us from astern around noon on a bright, sunny day. One neat thing about AIS is that you can tell exactly that his course is the same as yours and when he will hit you. When I called him on the VHF to ask him what his passing intentions were I got a shocked Indian gentleman who immediately turned about 20 degrees to the left and started heading toward Easter Island (I would have been happy with 5 degrees). He had little excuse with radar, AIS, and eyeballs, but you could? perhaps, maybe, understand since we were probably the only vessels within 50 miles. In the Singapore Strait and other really busy spots there is absolutely no excuse.

One question, in this area do ships have pilots?
There seems to be a lack of basic alertness aboard these commercial ships. I was nearly run down by a tanker in LI Sound last year in broad daylight with unlimited visibility. There just seem to "lights on but nobody home" on some of these boats. With big commercial ships being staffed who knows where, I'd bet there is, in actuality, the cheapest hire at the wheel.