SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Ship collision - that is going to leave a mark (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/97555-ship-collision-going-leave-mark.html)

killarney_sailor 03-13-2013 06:22 PM

Ship collision - that is going to leave a mark

An interesting short video of two freighters colliding in the Strait of Singapore. I know how busy this area is. It seemed that half of the vessels we saw in the Indian Ocean were going to Singapore. I found it interesting at the very beginning of the video there are no warnings being sounded by anyone even though they were so close. Guessing that there was negligent watch-standing on both boats. Also could not figure out where the video was being shot from. Seemed too steady for a helicopter or small plane. Anyone translate the Italian comments?

YouTube

Faster 03-13-2013 07:00 PM

Re: Ship collision - that is going to leave a mark

That had been posted here earlier in another thread.. I had the impression it was taken from the bridge of yet another freighter..

Really odd that, at least at that distance, there doesn't seem to be any concern or avoidance efforts on either vessel.. like somebody was asleep at the wheel on the overtaking vessel at the very least....

killarney_sailor 03-13-2013 07:16 PM

Sorry, missed it before.

Faster 03-13-2013 07:34 PM

No worries, KS!

Here's the other discussion:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/announ...7205-ouch.html

trantor12020 03-13-2013 09:45 PM

Must be an exciting week for Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore. Just the other day, a schedule ferry collided with an Indonesia boat. Boat sank and skipper is missing. Then a day or two later, a harbour craft collided with a ship at a fairway. Craft may have sank and One crew dead. Busy busy busy sailing ground this is.

Classic30 03-13-2013 11:46 PM

Having been in the middle of it some years ago now - yep, it certainly is a busy part of the world. :)

As I remember it, the strait itself (between Singapore Is and Indonesia) was divided into 5 virtual lanes: 2 going one way and 3 going the other way... at 20-25kts! Then there are the parking lots either side - basically ships either side of you as far as the eye can see, all anchored in neat little rows.

Mix that with high-speed ferry traffic to the outer islands and the occasional threat of pirates :eek: and, despite the best efforts of the PSA, it shouldn't be too surprising that accidents happen...

aeventyr60 03-14-2013 12:56 AM

It's a wonder there are not more accidents in this busy port area. We've been through the Singapore Straits 5 times, all very exciting....ships traveling at speed within 50 meters, yikes!

mad_machine 03-14-2013 12:58 AM

if it is such a busy strait.. you would think they would have people topside with eyes on

Classic30 03-14-2013 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mad_machine (Post 1002370)
if it is such a busy strait.. you would think they would have people topside with eyes on

They probably did. At a closing speed upward of 50 kts and in such close proximity to other ships, there is little margin for error. My guess is that's why there were no warnings sounded - there was simply no time to react when they realised a collision was imminent.

All it would take to do this is a small error on the part of the helmsman or (more probably) some glitch down aft at eactly the wrong moment. The other issue is the tide. It is not uncommon for inexperienced captains to misjudge the tidal flow in this area.

Stuff happens..

mad_machine 03-14-2013 09:10 AM

I was more referring to the original video showing the larger ship overtaking the smaller until the smaller turned infront.. Somewhere, on both those ships, there had to be a pair of eyes topside