Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Lets choose SmackDaddy's new boat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
.....Almost alway's it's first time boat owners who just sold the house and had a list of must haves in order to move on a boat......
Funny, I know I couple that sold their house and bought a brand new Hunter 45 a couple of years back ('09 or '10 model). They are far from first time boat owners, however. They take impeccable care of it, but have had some weird issues. Core penetration of something in the cockpit, mast step issue, some other things. Mostly fixed under warranty, but still.

Just last weekend , as we're al commissioning, I heard them mention they may want a new boat. The word Trawler even came out of their mouths and this couple are true blood sailors for decades, with no physical limitations to warrant the change. The boat must be becoming a frustration.

On the other hand, I've known people with older Cherubini Hunters (70's and 80s) and they've been very happy with them.

I agree with Chef, however. Smack should get whatever makes him happy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

I just hope we are all saying " good going Smack, congradulations" instead of "we tried to tell Ya." He will have structure issues on the Hunter. I will say the people on the H. Passages I've seen SEEM happy,.... bilssfully.
The people I have seen on Benny's ARE happy, beacause they KNOW they have a good boat.
But of course, get what makes him Happy. I have some weird tastes that no body understands. My boat is set up so weird, most of you would shake your head in wonderment as to why I do the things I do. This is, after all, a peanut gallery.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 04-08-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-08-2013
TROUBLE

RTB is on a distinguished road

Don't listen to all the Hunter-Bashers, smack. I've seen one hell of a lot of Hunters out here cruising, since we left Kemah in November. No one that I have met with one has had any major issues, and love their Hunters. Get a good survey on whatever you buy....goes without saying. I agree - nothing with "tanic" in the name!!!

Best wishes,
Ralph

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/brogdon/
Old 04-08-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
Don't listen to all the Hunter-Bashers, smack. I've seen one @#!*% of a lot of Hunters out here cruising, since we left Kemah in November. No one that I have met with one has had any major issues, and love their Hunters. Get a good survey on whatever you buy....goes without saying. I agree - nothing with "tanic" in the name!!!

Best wishes,
Ralph

Dinghy cleaning project | sailing away with R & B
Or, ask your self WHY are there so many Hunter Bashers out there? And almost all of them are people that have been around sailboats since birth. I was raised on a sailboat. I think anyone defending a Hunter either
A. did'nt know they where nicely painted crap when they bought it and
B. have to now protect there decsion to buy said crap
C. Don't yet know what is lurking below the surface.
I think most of 'em where sold to dessert dwellers from Texas who wanted to go sailing , which is why you see so many out that way. They are nice from a Landlubber perspective for sure..
Old 04-08-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

There was one Hunter that impressed the hell out of me...S/V Sequitur...sailed by a very salty SNer named Michael. You should search his threads here about that sail (as well as his blog if it's still up).

In fact, that H49 not only successfully took him and his wife from Vancouver down around Cape Horn and up to Florida, but held up remarkably well in an F10-11 storm just off the Horn.

Now I won't claim to know the particulars of how the '80's era H40 (or the newer H49 for that matter) is put together, but the ones I've looked at seemed to have held up pretty well for ~30 year old coastal boats. But I do know one thing for sure - real crap sinks in Southern Ocean F11s...every single time. That Hunter did just fine.

So I tend to take the bashing with a grain or two of salt.
Minnewaska likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 04-08-2013
KNOT KNOWN

O'K. That's impressive. A storm on the Horn. The big question is, did they take some action towrds beefing it up before they took on the Horn. And what issues arouse from the pounding? Hunters are not known for their structure, matter of fact just the opposite. People row across the Atlantic in open boats, My family's neighbor crossed in a 5 1/2 foot boat.
It's true, I hate Hunters, I'll admit it. I am a Hunter Basher. You can take that with much more than a grain of salt. I don't claim to know the particulars on them either, just what I've noticed and heard. Maybe it's all malarky? I've been known to change my mind on things. Like the Prout catmaran I hated all my life, then I read sailing promise and now I'm a fan.
Old 04-08-2013

c. breeze is on a distinguished road

I've been trying to convince my dad to buy and pay to maintain/ race the boat that'll make me happy- and make it all seem to be in his best interest- and I'm having trouble shifting gears. The bene/ swan reference a few posts ago brings to mind the freres design Benes- which I like just a bit more than the farrs. What- the first 42 something and the 456. So- there you have it. I'm having trouble shifting gears.

Last edited by c. breeze; 04-08-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old 04-08-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

He definitely did some beefing up - but nothing drastic from what I recall. You can see the list of upgrades on his website http://www.yacht-sequitur.ca/, along with why he chose the Hunter in the face of everyone telling him he was crazy.

Take a look at his blog. The boat held up very, very well and suffered no serious damage. That's why I was so impressed. I started a thread here talking about it so you might be able to find those links here.

You know way more about boats than I do, aaron. No doubt. I've just never been fully convinced that they suck as much as people say they do. I completely understand that they are built more for enjoyment at anchor than seriously hardcore sailing. But when the PHRF is 104, and the interior is as nice and roomy as it is, and I know I'm going to be sailing the coast pretty conservatively with family and friends, it's just not something I've been able to rule out yet.

Does anyone around here actually own a '80's era H40?

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 04-08-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-08-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

In the 80's I think Hunter was first transitioning from "small cheap boats built to a price" to larger stronger boats.

They got a lot of people on the water with affordable boats, and affordable often means corners have to be cut, one way or another. But on a larger boat, if what you need is there and in good working order...

What the hell, Beneteau also cut corners. They saved thousands by using IRON KEELS instead of proper lead ones, but you don't hear a lot of people complaining about the whole boat anymore, do you?

I'm still saving up for a proper tungsten keel sabot, so please, save all your old tungsten light bulb filaments up and mail them in to me?
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 04-08-2013
KNOT KNOWN

I actually don't know that much really. I think thats why I like things so overkill beefy. I don't trust the factory. I beefed up my beefy little sloop over kill and still plan to do more. I've learned more here on sailnet than I knew before. I was walking around a Marina the other day with my Father in law, and was pointing out all this stuff I learned here. That Jeff moderator guy has a ton more knowledge on the particulars of different models and designs hold up. I just know what i like and that is subject to change.
smackdaddy likes this.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 04-08-2013 at 01:36 PM.