Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2013

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Lets choose SmackDaddy's new boat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
You do have a pretty sweet Bene bubb. That was a great afternoon of sailing.
Smack I didn't know what to say when I heard about your wife. The thing I do know is both your wife and Courtney sailed on my boat so I going to be real picky about who it goes to.
smackdaddy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
My issue with the FIrsts is that they aren't fast enough to outrun a solid, high performance race boat so you are going to be running PHRF anyways so get something that does OK, but is comfortable for the family - which is critical if you ever want to look into more distant options as we discussed.Brian
Brian, my estemed colleague, What the heck are you talking about? The Beneteau 40.7 I raced on won Key West, Block Island, the IMS East Coasts, Cheapeake High Point several years running, several Carribbean races. Sisterships won thier class in the Bermuda race, Sydney-Hobart, Solent Race Week, and the Fastnet. And none of them have sagging headliners.

Cheez. Name one Hunter or Catalina that did anything like that...

Jeff
bubb2 likes this.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 04-08-2013

c. breeze is on a distinguished road

Is a c&c 38 not an option? Sweet sailing boats with looks.
Old 04-08-2013

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

Remind me again, What makes the 40.7 such a wonderful boat? All kidding aside, the 40.7 was on our short list. Didn't they make a two stateroom version?
Old 04-08-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Smack, I'm sure you are tuned in on this one. Buy the boat that is suited for 90% of your use. If you're not going to cross the Gulf or an Ocean routinely, then you don't need a boat designed for it. Get the fast coastal cruiser that you and the boys will make memories on.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-10-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

There ahs been a Jeanneau Sun Fast 37 on lk texoma for sale off and on for a couple ofyears......deep lead keel, tall mast..........then I can give you the joke I play on folks when they ask what kinda boat I have.......LOLOLOL, then you can com etalk about BFS'ing ont he jeanneau owners forums. They need another rable rowswer on that forum. I can only do so much..........

Marty
Old 04-10-2013
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post

Remind me again, What makes the 40.7 such a wonderful boat? All kidding aside, the 40.7 was on our short list. Didn't they make a two stateroom version?
That particular 40.7 is the poster child for low waters and the need for dredging here in the Great Lakes. She ran aground on a shoal off the Portage Lake channel when trying to duck in from the weather on the return trip of a Mac Race. Apparently the waves beat her up until she sprung a leak.

Smack - Sounds like the Hunter 40 would suit your needs well. I've sailed and raced aboard a 92' Legend 375 wing keel and was impressed with both the accommodations and sailing ability. I wouldn't hesitate to own one as a coastal cruiser if you're looking for decent speed and a comfy basement.

Have you looked at the Pearson 36-2 & 39-2? Both are late-80's boats with a good turn of speed and very roomy cabin. I think the 36 PHRF's at ~126 and I assume the 39 does even better. I've been aboard a couple of them on the hard recently and think they are fairly well put together, considering the price point. Perhaps a half step above the Hunters/Catalinas of the same era? Shaw's design is no-nonsense and sails well, so I'm told.

Old 04-10-2013

Jetexas is on a distinguished road

Smack, the Seahorse is for sale as my girlfriend just talked me into an O'day 34.

1984 Starwind 27 Sailboat
Old 04-10-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Minne, totally agree.

Bluto, I do really like the Jenneaus. They're in the mix as well, there's just not a lot of them out there (which is usually a good sign that the owners like them).

Smi - it's good to get your endorsement of the Hunters. I have done some off-shore racing on a Pearson 365 the last couple of years. They are definitely well-built, comfortable boats. I'm just personally not a fan of the more "traditional" interiors - and definitely want two cabins purely based on who will mostly be sailing with us (family and friends).

JT - 27'? Too little dude! I wanna go the Full 40!

Actually, there is an O'Day 40 on YW in my price range. Nice boat, but I want nothing to do with the cored hull.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 04-10-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Are you SURE that the O' 40 has a cored hull? While the deck is balsa cored, I can state with confidence that my O'day 35's hull is solid glass. Also; I believe that when these were produced (1986 - 87) that O'day was not producing cored hulls.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems