Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Lets choose SmackDaddy's new boat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
Are you SURE that the O' 40 has a cored hull? While the deck is balsa cored, I can state with confidence that my O'day 35's hull is solid glass. Also; I believe that when these were produced (1986 - 87) that O'day was not producing cored hulls.
Actually, no, I'm not sure. I did a quick search of that year model (it's the 1986 model on YW) and saw lots of references to the cored hull. So I was going by scuttlebutt more than fact. Anyone know for sure?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2013
Will work to sail. :-)

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Despite GordMay's post on Cruiser's Forum, I would check it myself. This is the Internet you know... I have read in several places, including a BoatUS review, that the O'day 35 has a cast iron keel. My O'day 35's keel is made from a grey, relatively soft, non-magnetic, metal...

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 04-10-2013
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Smi - it's good to get your endorsement of the Hunters. I have done some off-shore racing on a Pearson 365 the last couple of years. They are definitely well-built, comfortable boats. I'm just personally not a fan of the more "traditional" interiors - and definitely want two cabins purely based on who will mostly be sailing with us (family and friends).

Actually, there is an O'Day 40 on YW in my price range. Nice boat, but I want nothing to do with the cored hull.
Actually, the P36-2 & 39-2 are not at all like the old school Pearsons and do indeed feature two/three cabins (door for the forward and aft cabin). These were 2 of Pearsons last boats before closing their doors.

I think the O40 started as a solid glass hull and shifted to a cored hull somewhere through the production run. FYI - They are built from the Jeanneau Sun Fizz 39 mold.

Smack - You might consider finding a copy of John Kretschmer's Used Boat Notebook as it contains his review of the Hunter 40. I haven't read the review, but I'm assuming he likes the H40 since it's listed under the "Forty Great Used Boats" section in the book.

Last edited by kwaltersmi; 04-11-2013 at 09:04 AM.
Old 04-11-2013
"Fairhaven" Formosa 41

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaltersmi View Post
Smack - You might consider finding a copy of John Kretschmer's Used Boat Notebook as it contains his review of the Hunter 40. I haven't read the review, but I'm assuming he likes the H40 since it's listed under the "Forty Great Used Boats" section in the book.
+1 I'm a big fan of Kretschmer. He's a delivery captain with loads of experience and he's REALLY funny to read. Even if you learn nothing, the read will be good entertainment. "Flirting with Mermaids" is an awesome book which is fun to read but has little nutritional value.

Surveyors and Delivery Captains are the guys you want to be talking about to REALLY get the skinny on a boat type. Previous owners are a distant third. Asking owners about the boats they currently own is damn near pointless. We're all hopelessly in love with our boats, and blind to their flaws. Talk to the delivery captains that had to work them to weather in the off-season. The'll tell you which delivery jobs make them smile and which ones make their hearts sink when they get the call.

MedSailor
Old 04-15-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
Brian, my estemed colleague, What the heck are you talking about? The Beneteau 40.7 I raced on won Key West, Block Island, the IMS East Coasts, Cheapeake High Point several years running, several Carribbean races. Sisterships won thier class in the Bermuda race, Sydney-Hobart, Solent Race Week, and the Fastnet. And none of them have sagging headliners.

Cheez. Name one Hunter or Catalina that did anything like that...

Jeff
Sorry Jeff for the late reply. First, let me say that I did not express what I meant well. So if you (and Smack) will bear with me, I will give you my opinions on a few things. So here goes... bear with me...

I used to be a pretty good bowler. Last competitive game I threw a 268. I even won the USBC County championship for Clark County which includes Portland and Vancouver. I have always made money bowling... never lost, not once. I have a load of pins, certificates, awards, and even a big purple USBC Clark County Championship shirt which isn't easy to get. On that particular game, I threw one of my worst games (didn't even average 200 scratch). I had guys throwing 220 average, which is a bit over semi pro. Yet, I beat them. WHy? Handicap. I have lost games where I have thrown a scratch 250 to a player that barely throws 130, and won games just the opposite. I came to realize it was all a bunch of crap. Handicap is for losers. If you don't throw straight up, what are you really proving? Scratch Leagues and Semi Pro are the only way to go. Otherwise, you are only playing yourself, and celebrating your mediocrity.

Now fast forward to racing. I have used this example before. We did a distance race some years back. Overnighter, maybe 110 nm ballpark. Not a long race, but not beer can either. There was a FLying Tiger, an Olsen 30, Bene 10m, a Tartan, Farr X I think, and quite a few other boats. The key 'other boat' was a IP 38 IIRC. We finished the race. We sat down at the bar. We had our third pitcher of beer, celebrating our great time. The IP finally passed the finish line (whether he passed bow first or stern first is up for conjecture). Guess who won? The IP. Are you kidding me? WIth his corrected PHRF, he beat us by some minutes. Another example of this is the Conquistador Race in Charlotte Harbor where the winner twice was some cruising boat. That race has over a hundred entries. I also participated in that race.

So what are you racing for with PHRF? THat bene 40.5 is NOT the fastest boat on the water - not by a long shot. Can he outrun a Farr 40? 38? Flying Tiger? Melges? J122 or Jx? Heck, can he even outrun a modern Bene First? Can he outrun a 40.5 that is tricked out with carbon fiber, new mylar sails, and gutted below just to race? NO! Well, hold on, yes. Yes he can. Why? Because he has a PHRF. His time is corrected based upon some nebulous average of other Firsts. The reality is that he is racing against himself and an average. And with that average, doesn't he stand just the same chance, if he sails well, to beat a TP52 on a IP38 with corrected time? And any prize you win, isn't just a consolation prize for mediocrity? So what I was trying to say was to get a boat that would be a good boat for his boys that would be a comfortable cruising boat first and foremost. I am in no way suggesting he get a clunker. I recommended a 40.5 Legend which I think is a super boat for the money and not a bad performing boat either (compared to some, but slow compared to a First). Now if he just wants a Man Cave, then get something that can really be competitive. Or if he3 just wants to race, maybe get that First and gut it and trick it out that he can beat many other boats straight up. Because to me at least, anything short of straight up is a Purple Championship Shirt that is little more than a way to celebrate nothing.

I know you disagree, Jeff. Many people do. I know it will be pointed out that some of these boats should not have been placed in the same class, or PHRF is a way to make the playing field equal, etc. I too would not have a 'slow' boat ever again. But when it comes to cruising and sailing with a 9 yo and 12 yo boy on the ocean, well, that's something I know quite a bit about. His boys and mine are the same age. The First is not a boat I would take cruising with two boys, though some have done it. If he isn't planning on cruising with them, or he just wants a fun weekender, then I would kinda agree with you, though I would opt for a Henderson 30 or see if I could get into a Melges or Farr or something else maybe.

Brian

PS Catalina and Hunter do NOT make a boat that can compete with a first (scratch). But lets be honest, that isn't saying much. I have what I think is a good performing boat for a loaded cruiser, but it sure isn't a racer. However, I sure wouldn't want to race a First against a 400 or 42 with a PHRF or a Legend 40.5 with corrected time. Scratch, they would leave us behind like crazy. But anchored, race over, everyone would be meeting on our boats (snicker).

That is where I was coming from. Not trying to upset anyone or any racers. And when it comes to racing Jeff, you are by and Farr (pun intended) a better racer and sailor than I am; certainly more knowledgeable. But I'll still out grill ya, my friend!

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 04-15-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

SMack, I believe the ODAY 40 is/ma be a Jeanneau Ginfizz? need to lok the actual jeanneau model up, but there was two sizes of O'Day that came from the JEaneau line as a way to up sell the boat. If it is built like my Jeanneau, the only coring is in the deck where there is deck gear etc. It also would be a quick boat.

As to whether it is lead or iron.....would swag it is iron if it is a Jeanneau model, as most are iron. I do know of a few Jeanneau's over the last 30 yrs with lead, but generally speaking, most are iron. If you go to iheartoday or jeanneau-owners dot come, both sites have info on those models. I know the jeanneau site has an area with cross references to O'day and Cal boats that where initially Jeanneau models, brought here by Bangor Punta in the late 70's to early 80's and built by those manufactures.

Marty
Old 04-15-2013
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road

An Olson 30 is pure sailing pleasure.
O

Old 04-15-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Brian, you make a good point, as usual.

If Smack wants to take boys out and cover ground, a faster boat counts. If he wants to do PHRF races every week with them, well, a boat with a winning PHRF rating certainly would make that more fun. Although I suppose one 9yo and one 12yo combined still adds up to just one crew weight on the rail. (G) Some of those benes do need crew on the rail, like so many other lighter boats.

Decisions, decisions.
Old 04-19-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Brian, you make a good point, as usual.

If Smack wants to take boys out and cover ground, a faster boat counts. If he wants to do PHRF races every week with them, well, a boat with a winning PHRF rating certainly would make that more fun. Although I suppose one 9yo and one 12yo combined still adds up to just one crew weight on the rail. (G) Some of those benes do need crew on the rail, like so many other lighter boats.

Decisions, decisions.
Honestly, I'm trying to find a good compromise between the two. And, at this point, with a PHRF of 104 - the Hunter 40 really seems to be that for us.

I know friends and family will really like the roomy interior, yet the boat is pretty dang fast for me to have fun with. It's a lot of boat for my price range.

I'm going to look at a couple in Houston next week. There's also a Bene First 375 that I'll probably look at as well.

We'll see.

Anyway, thanks for the all the great feedback. And Brian, I agree with your thinking on this. I want comfortable and roomy, then I want fast.
jimgo likes this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 04-19-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Smack, it needs to be a J54DS all the way for you brother! Our PHRF is 66! The lowest recorded for our hull on a sister ship is 42! Smokin hot and tons of room. You and the boys can play touch football in the salon.

Oh man, I've got to get out for the shakedown!!!!!!!

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.