Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Lets choose SmackDaddy's new boat...

Sweet baby cheeses! Those pictures of the aftermath are heart wrenching!

Sorry for your loss Smacky Steve.

Since this is sailnut and we know everything I cant resist adding the following comments.

Grab that old cleat from the SmackTanic as a memento. You will note that the nuts are still attached which means it pulled right through the deck. I've been on a Catalina 27' and I wondered why they (Catalina) did not use backing plates for the mooring cleats. The horn cleats were also a bit on the small side if I recall.

Another observation is that you should not leave your Bimini deployed when away from the boat. Extra windage is not what you needed during that freak blow like you experienced.

We went through something similar here early last November: h'cane Sandy. Our club lost 20 out of about 100 moored boats. The combined high winds an the 10' storm surge was what did most boats in. It is always a combination of factors that gets you in the end. I thought that for sure our boat was a goner but by some miracle we survived; probably because we took off ALL canvas (no Bimini), checked the mooring chain and our mooring cleat is anchored through a hunk of 2" x 6" underneath the fore deck.

Backing plates and reduce windage.

Sorry for your loss.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2013

Magnolia is on a distinguished road

I am so sorry for your loss.
Old 03-15-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

hard way to convince the admiral to get a new boat. seriously- heart goes out to you.
Old 03-15-2013

joebeach is on a distinguished road

Bummer! Condolences....
Old 03-15-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Here is what I know (or think I know) about what SmackDaddy wants in a boat:

--He loved his catalina 27, but he made mention of now buying a boat that he could someday take on the ocean. Which ocean, and how far, I don't know.

--I know he has one Smackmomma and 2 boy Smacklings so the boat should accommodate them all.

--At one point he was seriously considering catamarans for a variety of reasons, but on the other hand after reading Glenn Damato's book, and his difficulties clawing off a lee shore, Smack was against even a full keel for its limitations to weather.

--It seems like the more he races, the more he likes performance.

I'm thinking that he needs an offshore capable boat (but I'm going to assume that with the family he won't be going into high latitudes), it should have 2 cabins, and he will want something with a reasonably modern under-body. Not sure what rig is preferred yet, but I'll assume sloop for it's weatherliness (at least until I can talk him into the virtues of a Ketch )

--Price range? Well that depends on how much BFS stuff we buy doesn't it?

Now, where is Bob Perry when you need him....

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 03-16-2013

bjung is on a distinguished road

My condolences, that's a real bummer.
Smacktanic, hmmmmmm..... Taunting fate in boat names is just stupid superstition, right?
Old 03-16-2013

Sea Dawg is on a distinguished road

Sorry for your loss. More than anything a man and his boat are bonded, even more as it becomes what you dreamed of it. I had a 31' boat at a marina my second season and a hurricane came through in Norfolk. I put mine on a pair of hooks with a LOT of rode. The carnage at the dock was similar with boats having pounded the pier. In the height of incoming storm the dock crew was literally swimming lines around the ones they could save. The ones that took a beating were just too close to the dock. I notice the slips at your dock were short and narrow, so imagine you couldn't get the kind of spring line clearance you'd hope for. May Smacktanic II be more graceful, swifter and unsinkable. Good luck and your Sailnet team awaits your good turn of fortune!
Old 03-16-2013

Michael K is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post

--At one point he was seriously considering catamarans for a variety of reasons, but on the other hand after reading Glenn Damato's book, and his difficulties clawing off a lee shore, Smack was against even a full keel for its limitations to weather.

--It seems like the more he races, the more he likes performance.
MedSailor
There are several affordable (older) multihull designs that have weatherly performance. An Iroquois 30 comes to mind. Loaded for cruising it will only be as quick as a comparable length monohull but will outperform if kept light. All the other advantages still apply - super shallow draft, level sailing so longer passages are less tiresome, more privacy for occupants, unsinkable (or easily made so). When anchoring or mooring off during a blow multis may pitch but never roll, making for more comfort aboard. There are more advantages but I'll stop here; Smack likely knows them well.

I have a 30' one off catamaran that was moored (and properly prepped)during hurricane Isabel. Free to swing at will nothing happened to her. Most boats that suffered were dockside. Having to use a dinghy all the time isn't as convenient but it becomes an accepable part of boating after a short while. And multis can usually accomodate a dinghy with ease.
Old 03-16-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Again, I think that the Telstar would fit the bill for Smack.
Here are two pics:
Amas retracted:

Amas deployed:

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 03-16-2013

billyruffn will become famous soon enough

Sorry, SD. Momma Nature, who gives us the wind we need to sail, sometimes gives us too much, from the wrong direction at the wrong time.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.