Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Re: Lets choose SmackDaddy's new boat...

Smackdaddy needs your thoughts/prayers

Non-recoverable
Old 04-07-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Med, thanks for starting this thread - and thanks for snagging some BFS stuff to support the cause. And, especially, thanks to everyone for the ideas.

After several years of pouring over posts and articles and YW and PHRF and reviews and yadda, yadda...I've narrowed my search to the following requirements:

1. 37'-40' sloop (maybe cutter, removable stay better) - I've decided to wait on the multi due to price
2. 2-3 cabins, 1-2 heads
3. Relatively deep keel (6'-7') for good windward performance
4. Either/Or Interior:
-a. Spacious and a bit pimpy for a sweet hangout at anchor for non-salty family and friends.
-b. A bit more traditionally "seaworthy" for more hardcore sailing.
5. As fast as possible within the constraints (e.g. - PHRF in the sub-110 range)
6. Primarily for "Gulf Coast Cruising and Off-Shore Fun Races" with hops to Florida and the islands every 2-3 years.
7. Around $40K (I don't want to mess with a loan)

With the above in mind, I've narrowed things down to two boats:

1. '80's (to early '90's) Beneteau First 37-40
2. '80's Hunter 40

Now, being around these discussions long enough, I know where everyone is going to immediately go - saying I'm insane for even thinking about the Hunter with the Bene at play. The issue is - I really like the the Hunter 40 for two reasons: 1. The interior is great for 4.a above, I actually like the centerline queen, and with a bit of work and prep, is still very usable for real sailing, 2. It has a PHRF of around 104 (NCPHRF Base) - which is pretty dang snappy, even compared to the Bene. I've looked at several H40's over the last couple of years, understand the issues with the aft holding tank, relatively "lighter" construction, limited storage, etc. - and still like the boat.

Trust me, I've looked at everything (Sabres, Pearsons, Ericsons, Irwins, Choy Lees, Hunter Cherubinis, J-Boats, especially Catalinas, you name it). And though I know these are all great boats for many reasons, the two above boats are my picks for the reasons above.

Now, I know that I basically can't go wrong with the Bene Firsts. But the recreational comfort aspect of the boat is very important to us right now. So, tell me exactly what's so bad about a well-kept Hunter 40.

(PS - I have absolutely no plans to have "-tanic" anywhere in the name. I'm not superstitious - but dang.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 04-07-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-07-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

I don't like the rig. The terminal ends are mushroom head swage fitting that only work on a hunter, You have to go swage on top and their swage fittings only. The double diamand set up. It's a lot if wire and terminal ends for what could be so simple. I have also had to do work for people on the chain plates. They over thought it and skimmped at the same time. Go Benny man.
Old 04-07-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

The mid 80s H40 is a pretty interesting boat. I don't like the B&R rig myself, though it has a conventional backstay and is a masthead rig, the 'pre bend' induced by the swept spreaders and diamond stays is not adjustable enough for me.. but as a cruiser I'm sure that's a minor issue. Huge interior and large enough cockpit - but one thing you'll notice here is the lack of back support. With that large aft cabin this is a boat you find yourself sitting 'on' rather than 'in' while in the cockpit. However that's the trade off for the space below in that area - our boat is similar, but smaller, with a large bridge deck and the tall companionway ladder.

They have iron keels, so some extra attention needs to be paid to that, and at near 30 years old it's probably time to drop and inspect the keel studs and rebed (unless it's been done recently already)

They sail quite well, a fair bit of boat and can be had a reasonable prices.

The one caveat I'd watch for.. we've seen several of that vintage Hunters that have an odor below that's not pleasant and it's difficult to get rid of. Can't be sure of the cause, but I know of some who've bought and regularly used ozonators to try to get rid of it to no avail. Others don't appear to have that issue, but we've seen it on more than a few models over the years.Not sure if it's something to do with adhesives they may have used at certain times, or what exactly....

Can't go much wrong with the B First series either, though. I like the 375 of that era best.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-07-2013

finding41 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to finding41

Don't rule out Europe for the boat search.
You may find an opportunity for a BFS on the way home!
There are a few ideas on this link.
benneteu (Sail) Boats For Sale
Best of luck with the search!
Old 04-07-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the quick feedback guys. I know it seems like a real no-brainer, but I agree with you Faster, those H40's are interesting boats. I don't know why I've been so drawn to them - but go figure.

Finding, I love the prices of the boats in Europe - but the shopping/transporting issues seem seriously daunting.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 04-07-2013

Smack. Have you ever bought anything on line? Its easy! Those sailing type of folk seem to be honest too.
As for shipping it home. Its a ship! I know the trade winds come from the West. Just tack a few times coming across the Atlantic. (I think your on the left coast. Right?) Well there is this river kind of thing that cuts through a small country called Panama. Just take that route. It will save a few thousand NM.
Summer vacation is coming up. It'll give the kids some thing to do. You'll always know ware they are. Wind is free.
Old 04-07-2013

Smack. I forgot to mention the crew thing. You could probably get a few (hundred) volunteers from an online sailing community I belong to.
Old 04-07-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
So, tell me exactly what's so bad about a well-kept Hunter 40.
A couple weeks ago I was talking with a surveyor about hunters. He said he saw one get crushed just by being lifted in the slings of a travel lift. They're too lightly built. Since your list is narrow see if you can bend the ear of a surveyor and ask them about your chosen boats. A good one will have seen it all before.

There's also that Bob Perry guy, who offers boat purchase consulting services. He might know a thing or two....

Personally I really like beneteaus. I think they hit the sweet spot between being light, but strong enough, and well performing yet safe. Other reasons to hate the Hunter are the BNR rig. You'll NEVER be able to even dock-tune that thing without going aloft 4 times. Also too many bits to replace, inspect, and possibly fail. Hunters also have travelers that are usually 2 ft long. Basically, they don't have mainsheet travelers at at all. As a performance oriented sailor, that'll eat you up as you boom won't be center-line and your sail shape will suck, never mind not being able to dump the traveler when the wind picks up.

The queen bed in the aft cabin sure is nice though.

MedSailor
Capt.aaron likes this.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 04-07-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road

smack, Have you looked at the early 90's Bene Oceanis 400? PHRF around 120. The only complaint i have is it's not really set up to single hand. I'm adding winches aft to help remedy the issue. (can never have enough winches) I was very surprised that this boat is a very good performer. I've seen a few racing down on the gulf coast. Mine is a retired warhorse from florida.

I would never buy a hunter, they make Bene's look like swans. I never thought hunters were very well built. It's that chopper gun; i just can't get over it. Sorry guys.

By the way, welcome back smack

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.