Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Lets choose SmackDaddy's new boat...

Smack, this has got to be a big change in the boys lives, and unless you've got an incredible relationship with them, they still will be holding some things in. It might be very important for them to be involved, full-equity-partner type involved, in choosing the new boat. Getting their opinions, making them part of the process, gives them strength and respects that may also help them through these hard times.

Stuff like rigging, rigging can be changed. Layouts, engines, odd quirks, with three sets of eyes they'll compare differently. Beware some of the Bene's that have a rudder as deep or deeper than the keel. A soft grounding can became a $7000 rudder job with that.

Fair Winds and Kind Seas.
smackdaddy likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-07-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

What about a Choate Feo 37? PHRF of 108 and a 6.5' draft and 50% ballast. There's even one for sale in Texas with a brand new (still under warrenty) beta diesel for $33K. Seen them entered in the Transpac and Bermuda races. Interior looks comfy and the build (Canada Seacraft) is purportedly very good.

CF 37

Sailboats for sale in Texas:
Boats for sale by owner in Texas

Agreed about the 'Tanic name. I'd advise against Triumph as well. Wasn't good for Doug or Carnival Cruise Lines....

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-07-2013
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

Benne fo shizzle.
Old 04-07-2013

cruisingdream is on a distinguished road

My dock neighbor loves his hunter 40 , fast boat around the buoys, and plenty of comfort below
Old 04-07-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Beware some of the Bene's that have a rudder as deep or deeper than the keel. A soft grounding can became a $7000 rudder job with that.
I talked with a guy in the yard a few days ago that did a similar repair, except his rudder is the same size as the keel. When he ran aground, he had a number of people situated far aft in the boat, apparently making the rudder deep enough to cause damage.

So careful loading it too, even if the rudder is shorter.
Old 04-07-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

I deliverd a Benny first. I had water in the bildge and could not figure out where it was comming from, Finally I traced it to the rudder post 'Well". It comes up through a "tube". No seal or gland on top. The owner had put a life raft on the sugar scoop for the voyage and this brought the stern down. just a few inches, but enough to cause water to splash up over the top of the well in any kind of sea. Still loved the boat though. I HATE HUNTERS....AND almost alway's the people on 'em....jus kidd'n.....not really. my buddy delivered a Hunter once, it's rudder post bent just from being on the same tack for 5 day's. He could not turn to port when he got to Mexico. We had do drop it out, bend it straight, and ram a wooden dowel and 5200 up it to renforce it. Because it was HOLLOW!

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 04-07-2013 at 11:19 PM.
Old 04-07-2013
KNOT KNOWN

You know what it is, I always look at people on those Hunter Passages as suckers. I know how poorly they are built and how expensive they are. People bought in to the fancy insides. Almost alway's it's first time boat owners who just sold the house and had a list of must haves in order to move on a boat. It's like that cardboard fort I made when I was a kid. It was awsome, 3 rooms, all the frills, I even ran and extension cord out there and had lights and my little T.V. I felt like king of the world out there watching the Dukes of Hazzard, then it rained one night, I woke up to find a soggy pile of crap in my back yard. That's what a Hunter is, a wicked nice cardboard fort. IMO.
Rich85tpi likes this.
Old 04-07-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

There's a lot I don't like about the Hunter Passages and much of the recent line (since mid 90s).. Stories like Aaron's and others I've heard are not encouraging (an early "arch" model flexing badly in moderate seas).

But I do think that a narrow range of post-Cherubini models are nicely drawn, nicely rigged boats easily up to the typical coastal cruising that most of us do. While the early/mid 80s 31,34 & 40 footers did use the b&r rig, at that time they retained the backstay and they were masthead rigs. I'd guess the serious "trussing" of the rig allowed a smaller lighter section. The later Legends (33.5, 35.5,37.5, 40.5) featured nicely proportioned non-b&r fractional rigs. They lost me when they went to the hot tub cockpits and backstay less rigs, and with the three storey passage boats (great liveaboards, though, I'd imagine)

Still, they sold lots of them and they are all over the used boat market.. So we're stuck with them.....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-08-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Get what makes you happy.

Dave
bljones and Minnewaska like this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 04-08-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Get what makes you happy.

Dave
Get what makes US happy Smack. Think of us.
Minnewaska likes this.

Last edited by Faster; 04-08-2013 at 09:41 AM. Reason: fixed quote