SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Lets choose SmackDaddy's new boat... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/97581-lets-choose-smackdaddys-new-boat.html)

MedSailor 03-14-2013 11:42 PM

Lets choose SmackDaddy's new boat...

Okay crew, it's time to rally behind one of our wounded comrades. For those of you who didn't hear, Smackdaddy's beloved SmackTanic sank. Details here:The Saddest Day of a Sailors Life

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6105/6...5822405e_z.jpg

I don't know about you guys, but when a sailor's boat sinks it's a H-U-G-E deal. Thankfully I haven't experienced this feeling (yet) but I have come back to my wooden boat in the yard to find an 8ft crack in the hull. I knew she would never sail again and I wept like a little girl. Really, I did.

I, for one, think that SmackDaddy has done a lot for SailNet. He's started some interesting threads and with a teflon-like quality has avoided the mud slinging matches with good cheer and quick wit. He encourages the SailNet-lings and doesn't feed the trolls. SmackDaddy hasn't logged on to SailNet in five days. Anyone else notice the difference around here?

How can we help? I think we can do two things:

First, we can buy some BFS gear from his site. If everyone who enjoy's smack's contribution bought a BFS beer cozy, I think he'd be well on his way to a new boat. Even if the financial contribution is small, it'd be a real show of support for a fellow sailor who loves sailing and SailNet. Spend your coin here: BFSshop.com, is the official home of BFS Gear for Big Freakin Sails!

Second, lets help him pick a new boat. Boats represent dreams, future or present and I think we all know that. Smack needs to have a new boat to keep the dream alive and let's start by helping him choose one with this thread. All ideas and contributions are welcome. Catamaran or mono? Fin or full? Contributions from Smack himself are welcome but will probably be ignored since we all know that SailNet knows all. ;)

So, knowing Smack as we do. What boat should he get for his ocean-going next boat?

MedSailor

blt2ski 03-14-2013 11:53 PM

Re: Lets choose SmackDaddy's new boat...

I had not heard that myself.....I had noticed he had been quiet per say.....but was hoping he was out with his kids on vacation or equal........

Not a way to lose the boat etc..

Not sure what his next boat should be either. Depends upon where he wants to sail, go etc.

Condolences to Smack and the family!

Marty

chef2sail 03-15-2013 12:20 AM

Damn...I was sick reading it. Sorry for you Smackie. Heads up.

Dave

poopdeckpappy 03-15-2013 12:22 AM

Wow, that is a heartbreaker, sorry Smack

Faster 03-15-2013 12:54 AM

That's a bummer, big time... Sorry to hear it, Smack...

MedSailor 03-15-2013 01:03 AM

Just bought some BFS gear. Smack is now a little closer to being able to buy his next boat.

C'mon guys, pony up! It's for a good cause! :D

MedSailor

NewportNewbie 03-15-2013 01:24 AM

Sorry Smack....Gonna get some gear....and I vote for a Schock 35! OK maybe he doesnt want a 35, but it sounds like he really liked what he had...so lets find him another Catalina 27...

PaulinVictoria 03-15-2013 01:36 AM

Sorry to hear about the Smacktanic, I guess she finally lived up to her name.

SchockT 03-15-2013 01:47 AM

Yeah that really does suck!

I would like to hear what Smack has in mind for his next boat. Given he seems to be taken with the performance side of sailing he might be interested in something with a bit more racing pedigree than Smacktanic. (May she rest in peace!)

I am sure once he has mourned his loss sufficiently he will jump into the thread!

Boat shopping is so much fun! :D

aeventyr60 03-15-2013 02:44 AM

A sad day indeed. Looks like he needs some speed. maybe a bigger beach cat?