Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road
Re: Mostly singlehanded...what lines should I run aft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Put me in the old curmudgeon category. Sheets and running backs go to the cockpit. Everything else is at the mast. I have yet to sail a boat with lines aft that hadn't built up enough friction to require grinding about everything up with a winch, a time-consuming process. I can get everything done faster at the mast, including the time to get out there and back.

Further, and specific to my boat, the hard windscreen and dodger above keep most of the cockpit really dry. There is no way I'm going to punch holes in that for lines and let water through.

Y'all can do as you please. I deliver enough boats in different configurations to be confident in my conclusions. Running halyards and adjustment lines into the cockpit is one of those ideas that seems superficially appealing but in reality turns out to reduce both safety and operational performance.

I feel that way about enclosures too so it is likely that the concepts are related.
I guess it is a matter of what you are used to. I have only sailed on a couple of boats with halyard winches on the mast, and I have always considered them relics from the past!

On a boat the size of NewportNewbie's there should be no reason there is so much friction that a winch is required to hoist a sail, If there is, something is very wrong!

I like being able to make halyard adjustments to my main and genoa without even letting go of the helm! (ok, to be fair I do steer with my foot if I need both hands!)
Minnewaska likes this.
Hull#101
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2013

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
I guess it is a matter of what you are used to. I have only sailed on a couple of boats with halyard winches on the mast, and I have always considered them relics from the past!

On a boat the size of NewportNewbie's there should be no reason there is so much friction that a winch is required to hoist a sail, If there is, something is very wrong!

I like being able to make halyard adjustments to my main and genoa without even letting go of the helm! (ok, to be fair I do steer with my foot if I need both hands!)
SchockT...thats what I would like to do with my deck....I have 4 winches around the mast...ever miss those?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-16-2013

Here are pics of my deck if anyone was wondering what the current setup is. I have plenty of extra line on all the halyards. What it looks like I need are deck organizers and rope clutches. Do I need to remove the existing winches and cleats?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by NewportNewbie; 03-19-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-17-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewportNewbie View Post
SchockT...thats what I would like to do with my deck....I have 4 winches around the mast...ever miss those?
Never had a winch farm, never want one!

Hull#101
Old 03-17-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Put me in the old curmudgeon category. Sheets and running backs go to the cockpit. Everything else is at the mast. I have yet to sail a boat with lines aft that hadn't built up enough friction to require grinding about everything up with a winch, a time-consuming process. I can get everything done faster at the mast, including the time to get out there and back.

Further, and specific to my boat, the hard windscreen and dodger above keep most of the cockpit really dry. There is no way I'm going to punch holes in that for lines and let water through.

Y'all can do as you please. I deliver enough boats in different configurations to be confident in my conclusions. Running halyards and adjustment lines into the cockpit is one of those ideas that seems superficially appealing but in reality turns out to reduce both safety and operational performance.

I feel that way about enclosures too so it is likely that the concepts are related.
I don't know, Dave... sounds like maybe only delivery captains believe in keeping everything at the mast, the avoidance of creating openings in the forward panels of dodgers, and the downsides of full cockpit enclosures... (grin)

Perhaps Andrew will weigh in on this, as well?

hellosailor referred to us as the Last Cowboys, elsewhere... Perhaps the Last Old At-the-Mast Curmudgeons might be more appropriate? (grin)
Old 03-17-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Yup. That was weird.

I love my boat, feel in touch with nature, am relaxed and still love my furling lines and ice maker.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-17-2013

Wow. I never thought this would be a debate. To me. Having lines handy means I can more safely and effectively sail the boat. Especially single and shorthanded. I test sailed a brand new Beneteau First 30 and all lines led act and it was almost silly how convenient it was. Yes alot of lines in the cockpit meant I had to be more conscious of keeping things neat but it was very nice. That's like saying dont get furlers, lazy jacks, instruments, engines, etc because when Columbus did it he didn't have all that. I see guys in the Vendee global or the Volvo Ocean race with all the technology in the world and I would never call them less of a sailor because of it.

Old 03-17-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Naturally, sailing draws the boating minimalists. Can't be a stinkpotter as a minimalist. You could row, I suppose.

But that doesn't mean all sailors need be minimalists. There is room on the ocean for everyone.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-17-2013

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

After having read and re-read this thread, I have come to the conclusion that I'd be better served placing a captain's chair on the cabin top near the mast and running a steering line to there.

A couple of standing blocks to run the genny sheets back to the mast and a fairlead port and starboard for the 85% jib oughta do it. Add a couple more cleats to the mast and an old OB steering rig to the rudder shaft and I'll be set!

NOW I know the allure of a center-cockpit! LOL They *may* cost more; but save a ton of boat-bux on additional deck hardware and line!
Old 03-17-2013

RichH will become famous soon enough

The danger of running most/all lines to the cockpit is that you quickly 'get out of practice' in going forward in stink conditions.

Plus, it puts an inordinate amount of crap into the cockpit which to trip over, etc. .... this from someone who has 35 control lines in one of his sportboat cockpits.