Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2013

c. breeze is on a distinguished road
Re: Mostly singlehanded...what lines should I run aft?

If I had 4 winches there would be 2 aft on the cabin top and 2 ON THE MAST, not at the foot of it.

The ONLY thing I dislike about lines led aft ON TOP of the cabin top is that they are now all on the deck, which is only a "problem" in my mind. I do not like having things underfoot forward- granted, how often must one go forward with lines led aft... not alot, but i just like doing it- its my damn boat, Ill hang out on the whole thing, wherever i please...

Anyway Jeff H is right about one thing, if you route it back to the cockpit, you will use it. IF you dont', you might still, but you will have plenty of excuses not too.

my old boat had the furler and sheets aft, nothing else. now I have 3 halyards, a cunningham, a vang and a reef all right there. and I use them all. the outhaul is also aft, but on the boom...

I dont' give a ratsass about any flopping lines, those get "stowed" its called seamanship- and so wet or dry they aren't an issue.

I want my lines that are routed aft, INSIDE my cabin, basically running along the "ceiling"

As I havent a headliner to hide "gutters" under I have yet to come up with a satisfactory way to keep the cabin dry- as the holes the lines enter and exit from will leak in rain, spray or anything else.

once I come up with a set up I feel confident will keep water out I will move all hardware and lines UNDER the deck, rather than on it. look up- now imagine ropes running for and aft on the ceiling.

look down, imagine ropes under your feet.

Now look at the keyboard or iphone whatever, and imaging that all those ropes in either situation terminate right there, allowing you precise control over your marrionette, Now with a complete mental picture like that, which do you imagine to be preferable, lines on the "floor" or lines on the "ceiling"

I crewed a boat with "evertyhing" lead aft- and it was all under the deck, between it and the headliner, wiht "gutters" 5200ed in place under them, so any water that entered the boat, exited into the cockpit. it was awesome. clean usable decks, nothing to trip over etc, the bow guy certainly appreciated it. no clutter, a clean slick visual appearance. IT was HIGHLY functional in every way, and very eye catching and appealing.

If it trims or shapes, you need access to it. especially if you race shorthanded, and I *think* I remember you lamenting lack of crew in a post or two.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2013

Philzy3985 is on a distinguished road

[IMG]Phil sailing home 2 - September 29, 2012[/IMG]

I'll just chime in because the OP and I sail only 45 miles apart and both singlehand a lot. The picture above will show it would be difficult to make a spaghetti bowl in my cockpit, and I never have to leave the cockpit to change anything - That's probably because I don't use a spin, I have a furling jib, so those lines stay in a bag all the time. I've only have to adjust my boomvang once (The green/white line) so if I think I'll need it I just toss it forward over the hatch. So the only lines I have on the cockpit floor/bench is the mainsheet and traveler, then the jib sheets. I tuck the halyards in either of two large bags, and I usually tidy up the jib sheets after each tack so they won't tangle or get in the way for the next tack. Again, no racing, just casual day sailing.

I will say that having the main halyard running aft and previously installed autopilot has been very convenient. As I enter my main channel I point into the wind at idle RPM's in FWD gear, flick the autopilot on and yank on the halyard. It takes about 30 seconds to get the main all the way up, then I winch on it for the last few inches, then I have a clutch to lock it down. I can turn off the wind with or without autopilot and unfurl the jib and it's all done, smooth quiet sailing from there. I don't really use the autopilot when I'm out there unless I have to go down below for something, so battery draining isn't a concern.

Is there anything at the moment that causes you to shake your head every time you go sailing? If so, I'd make that / those the first things to address. That's sort of how I prioritize boat improvements.

If you decide to buy deck organizers and all the other goodies see what you can find at Minney's before ordering brand new ones!
Old 03-19-2013

c. breeze is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philzy3985 View Post
[IMG]Phil sailing home 2 - September 29, 2012[/IMG]

Is there anything at the moment that causes you to shake your head every time you go sailing? If so, I'd make that / those the first things to address. That's sort of how I prioritize boat improvements.

If you decide to buy deck organizers and all the other goodies see what you can find at Minney's before ordering brand new ones!
+1 used gear
+1 fix what bugs you first. otherwise its like sailing a charter boat, or someone elses boat all the time

and we all know, everyone else's boat, and especially charter boats are all rigged wrong.
Old 03-19-2013

knuterikt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Really? I've never seen a winch on the cabin top at the mast. Mast winches are usually three to four feet up on the mast. They aren't a tripping hazard. They are among other things a handy step up to reach things as well as the lowest friction means we have for halyards and often outhauls and reefing lines.
What about this?

I have even seen boats with two winches on each side of the mast.

Last edited by knuterikt; 03-19-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-19-2013

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road

This got me thinking...what modern boats DONT have lines run aft? I looked and every new boat made has all lines running aft....at least the 30-35ft boast I looked at....so does everyone else have it wrong?? These are just a few...I didnt find any new yachts without lines running aft. No lines end at the mast on any of these new boats.

Junneau Sunfast 3200

Elan 310

Beneteau First 30

J-108

Hanse 345

Tartan 3400

Bavaria 33
SchockT likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-19-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewportNewbie View Post
This got me thinking...what modern boats DONT have lines run aft? I looked and every new boat made has all lines running aft....at least the 30-35ft boast I looked at....so does everyone else have it wrong??
Does this mean you finally understand my "wimpification" comment?

Real men go to the mast. Period. End of story.
Old 03-19-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Real men also have hank-on jibs.

Ice in the icebox, not refrigeration. Along with cold beer, which we drink while we are sailing, despite the COLREGS, ha, ha, ha!

We don't always keep watch - sometimes we are asleep.

And we often forget to wear our PFDs and harnesses.
Old 03-19-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Real men have one hand on the helm and another around their honey with a cocktail clenched in our fists. What are you guys wandering off to the mast doing up there alone?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-19-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Now you have....
Golly. That isn't attractive. The worst of all worlds - tripping hazards, friction, AND you have to go forward. Why aren't those winches on the mast?

Helpful pictures. I understand. To my mind the answer should be moving the winches onto the mast and getting them off the cabin top and removing the blocks, not running all the way aft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
As for wet lines down the companionway, on my boat, and many others I sail on the halyards hang in such a way that they don't contact anything but the sole, which is going to get wet in foul weather anyway.
Different boats. I sail offshore and a lot of bluewater boats have carpet. I'll pull the piece at the base of the companionway when the weather is bad. Coming off watch crew go straight into the head (at the base of the companionway where God intended) to get out of foulies and dry off. Wet and salty stays on deck. Never below.

Wet below may work for racers and those with all fiberglass liner boats but not for cruisers - daysailers, weekenders, or longer - who consider spaces below to be living spaces.

Quote:
Only been out a few times in big wind, and never on deck. So the cockpit is where I sail from. I am mostly a singlehanded, or shorthanded sailor, and for me, the more I can do from the cockpit the better, especially when it comes to raising and lowering sails in harbor. I dont have an autopilot yet, so that will help, but in breezy conditions with current, its sometimes hard to point the boat, go to the deck, lower the sail, then run back and forth.
Get the autopilot first, then see if you still care about lines run aft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuterikt View Post
What about this?

I have even seen boats with two winches on each side of the mast.
Swan?

Quote:
This got me thinking...what modern boats DONT have lines run aft?
Just because the market drives manufacturers in a direction doesn't mean that the market is well informed. Lines aft are not a good idea in my opinion UNLESS your boat is small enough that your weight outboard and forward discernibly moves the boat. For boats that small you can talk me into it.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 03-19-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
.... Lines aft are not a good idea in my opinion UNLESS your boat is small enough that your weight outboard and forward discernibly moves the boat. For boats that small you can talk me into it.
Okay. What if the boat is big enough that there is plenty of room in the 15 ft cockpit for the lines and electric/hydraulic winches easily overcome the friction and the mast is 25+ ft away.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.