Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: USCG Certificate of Documentation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Long View Post
My boat is documented in a non-title state (Maine). If I were to decide to move to Maryland, the documentation would not be accepted as proof of ownership. I would have to go back to my storage unit in Maine (Iím a full time liveaboard), dig out my original title from Michigan and the whole paper trail of bills of sale since in order to register. I left all that paperwork there because I thought I had the ultimate proof of ownership when the majesty of the U.S. government was put behind my ownership. Wrong.
Not my experience in Maryland. Never had a title or ownership issue since moving here. DNR knows exactly what Documentation is and accommodates easily. You still need your tax sticker but that is a separate issue.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2013
Winch Fouler

TheWollard is on a distinguished road

Has anyone here ever purchased a vessel that had been documented by a previous owner, but not the seller (because the most recent owners were Canadian)?

I'm trying to find out if I submit forms like it's a new application or if I "renew" the registration for the vessel.

I looked it up, and MISS MARISOL is listed in the USCG historical records.

I can't find an answer on their website regarding my situation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-19-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Wollard, just pick up a phone and call the nice folks at the Vessel Documentation Center. Really, they enjoy answering the phones and giving out the right answers, and assuming you are a citizen, you've already PAID for their assistance. If no one calls, they'll be fired as superfluous. So...please, call them.

Roger-
"completely screwy" You got that right! If I walk into a "state" office with a federal document that says I own a specific titled property, and that state monkey doesn't want to recognize it...Oh gee, that's usually a federal crime and I don't waste my time arguing about it, I just drop a dime and file the complaint.
I had a recent discussion with a certain national financial institution that has a (sadly typical) policy of refusing to accept certain state legal papers claiming "you have to use our forms" and go chase down another notary for them. And as I explained to the nice rep who was helping me, I knew the state law on that one, and it did say that they didn't have to accept the state papers, but it also said in black and white that they would be fully accountable, with no limits, for any losses or damages caused by their failure to accept the papers. So I wasn't going to argue, I'd attempted service, and she might want to remind their legal department "unlimited damages" was the criteria now, have a nice day.
I got a phone call back a month later from the rep, saying that legal "would allow" the state papers for now but please, would it be convenient for me to fill out there set too, sometime at my convenience?

Carrot, stick. I only serve carrots ONCE at each meal.
Old 03-19-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

I agree with Hello - give the USCG a call. I work with other federal agencies on occasion, and, while some of the folks fielding calls at the places I call aren't always the brightest candles in the bunch, they really do try, and most are willing to spend as long as necessary to make sure your question is answered. I suspect that, at an office like the Vessel Documentation Center, you'll get good, accurate advice very quickly.
1975 Albacore 15