Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By killarney_sailor

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2013

brianc is on a distinguished road
c&c 99 hull survey question

[This was posted to another less active forum, not Sailnet, so my apologies if you have seen this question before.]

I had a 2002 C&C 99 hauled out for a survey today knowing that in December 2012 a survey found a void on the starboard side just below the waterline about 1 foot by 6 feet long which was repaired (the core was found to be dry so epoxy was injected and the entire hull was re-tapped afterwards and found to be good.)

Today, the new surveyor found two voids about 12x18" each to the aft of each side of the saildrive (just ahead of the lift straps.) This was obviously a surprise because of the prior survey and repair work that was done. The voids today were very obvious so we had the original surveyor come back and he believes they were not there when he did the original survey and re-survey after the repair.

I don't know if the issue is sections of dry laminate (never received resin during the vacuum bagging process) or if the resin-ated core area bonding is failing (which would be worse.)

To get straight to the point, have the seller fix it and go forward or walk away (or run away if that's the appropriate response)?

Thanks, Brian
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: c&c 99 hull survey question

I would walk unfortunately. You don't want to own a boat that gives you a voice in the back of your head wondering if all of the problems in the hull have been fixed.
rugosa likes this.
Old 03-15-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Every buyer should research the boat he or she intends to buy. Research Tartan and C&C lawsuits.
Old 03-15-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

I'd walk... if this is a progressive issue, you can fix 'these ones' but others will likely crop up the next time you haul.. how can you know that all the bad spots have been addressed - esp since the currently offending areas 'tapped out OK' last time.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-15-2013

brianc is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to walk, there's just too much risk.

The boat in question was produced the same year as the C&C 121 that had so many problems, and while there isn't any hull cracking on this boat, the root cause seems like it could be the same, especially with the appearance of the new and large voids (there was actually a third void identified around the back-stay chain-plate which I forgot to mention earlier,) maybe 'progressive' as Faster mentioned, will eventually mean the whole hull...eek.

Assuming there was a real issue, if there was a fix implemented, does anyone know which hull numbers/years are the problems?

I can't find that information so unfortunately, that probably means I'll avoid all of them.
Old 03-15-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

EVERYBODY that does resin infusion has some amount of less than perfect results and it is NOT like there making thousands and can afford to chuck a marginal hull and there is really no way to fix it

Even on a CNC machine were everything is very controlled a certain amount of stuff hits the reject bin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
c&c , epoxy , hull