Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: USA Visa

Mark, are you saying that you didn't get 12 months, or that someone at DOS told you that it was not possible to get 12 months?

Was your cruising permit issued for 12 months? Assuming you brought your boat in?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Mark, are you saying that you didn't get 12 months, or that someone at DOS told you that it was not possible to get 12 months?

Was your cruising permit issued for 12 months? Assuming you brought your boat in?
Cruising permit is for 12 months but the humans only get 6 months at a time and I haven't heard anyone getting 2 x 6 months in 12 months.

If I had heard of it then all the Australians would have 12 months in the USA in their cruising year, wouldn't they?

The USA is not unusual in doing this. In fact the USA is more liberal than most other countries.... EU 3 months in 6 months, same with Turkey, Thailand has changed to a similar thing where visa trips over the boarder no longer suffice. Indonesia is the same with a penalty of boat forfeiture!

So getting 6 months in a block is good! Getting 12 months is not being offered anywhere that I can readily think of. Nine months is great!

So with the USA if you do 6 months in on a B2 (of the B1/B2 visa) visa then you will need to go out for a reasonable amount of time, more than 10 days (I think it says 14 days) before you go back in.... But when you get back in I doubt you'll get a full 6 months... Perhaps more like three months to take your time in the USA to 9 months in 20 months.

The only way I can think of to try to squeeze the Americans would be to stay as long as you can, do a international trip, and then go for a visa extension when back in the USA pleading to wait for the end of Hurricane season (etc). That's fine if you get it, but if you don't get it you must leave immediately.
BTW the visa extension takes 6 weeks and during that time you can stay if your entry time has expired. So one shouldn't apply for it too early! But the what happens if you are declined?

As a final point, one should never piss off the Damn Yankees because the USA is so good for flying into and out of when cruising, particularly for Australians, particularly when cruising the Caribbean and Central and South America... So if one plays silly buggers with the USA Immigration laws and you get the big red DECLINED stamp in your passport not only can't you use the USA to fly through but many other countries won't like you either! Excepts, Venuzalea, Cuba, Iran and North Korea......

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 03-19-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-19-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Sounds like they could only stay longer on one of those "critical business" work visas. You know, like kangaroo kontrol in Juneau. I heard the infestation is absolutely horrible, and none of the locals have any idea of how to katch them.

If you think it can't happen...when I was in grade school local shop, jokingly, wrote "alligators in basement" on their electric bill. For YEARS after that, the meter readers would not go into the basement unaccompanied to read the meter. Because it said right there "alligators in basement" and they knew that was an urban myth but IT SAID SO RIGHT THERE.

IIRC Americans are limited to two years in Oz even if they are there for critical employment so as you say, limits are not unusual. Still, sometimes it pays to contact the folks who are petty diplomats, and sometimes these things can be changed from "usual" to "a bit better". Now that overseas phone calls cost two cents a minute instead of five dollars...it doesn't hurt so much to ask.

But first I'd call around in Juneau to get the buzz about the 'roo infestation going.
Old 03-19-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Sounds like they could only stay longer on one of those "critical business" work visas. You know, like kangaroo kontrol in Juneau. I heard the infestation is absolutely horrible, and none of the locals have any idea of how to katch them.

G>
LOL!
I'm not sure if that's even the B1 part of the B1/B2 visa.
The B1 bit is for doing business meetings, buying and selling etc in the USA but I think for employment, either normally, or critical trades, its something else again.

We need an immigration official who sails! But I don't think they want all their rules and guidelines published because I think they want to have a discretionary ability to filter out people who look like dills.

I comb my hair and wear non cruiser clothes!
Old 03-19-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Correct, B1 visa is not to be used to be gainfully employed in the US, only to conduct business while visiting the US. I'm not an immigration guy, but have hired foreign nationals.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-20-2013

billyruffn will become famous soon enough

You might consider wintering over in Prince Rupert, BC. Don't know what the visa issues for you might be in Canada, but PR is no more than a week's cruise south of Juneau, so getting back to SE Alaska is not big deal.

The only thing I found difficult about entering Canada was that they were very strict on the quantity of adult beverages permitted. When I entered from Alaska I had just stocked up on wine and beer in Ketchitkan. I also had 8-10 bottles of rum in the bilge left over from the Caribbean. I was issued a "warning" and told to NEVER enter Canada again with so much booze on board. The discussion with customs on the booze issue took 20 minutes or so, whereas the discussion on the customs entry of the rifle (bear gun) I was carrying took 2 minutes. Go figure. In the post-9/11 environment I was pleased to see Canada had their priorities right.

Have a nice (long) voyage.

Last edited by billyruffn; 03-20-2013 at 11:34 AM.