Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jameswilson29

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2013

Kalina-Lona is on a distinguished road
1974 Catalina 27

Hello,
Not sure if this is the best place to ask this question. This 1974 Catalina 27 is an amazing boat in great condition and hope to buy it shortly.
It does require a new holding tank and the owner says...no problem replacing it. Is that in fact the truth? I'm hoping some one can help me locate and buy the proper tank.
Thank you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Re: 1974 Catalina 27

Why does it need a new holding tank?
Old 03-17-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Replacing it is as easy as dumping boat bucks at it (301 of them):
Catalina Direct: Holding Tank For C-27 V Berth

There are other, suitable tanks available from Defender and the like that don't cost that much.

Actually removing the old and putting the new in depends largely on your skill set, your tool set, and/or the availability of yet another supply of boat bucks.

Make sure when reinstalling that it is held in place securely enough to hold it's own filled weight against the shock load of pounding into a head sea.

They do make glues for Poly tanks, you may be able to repair it.
Old 03-17-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

I always wonder with this type of seller, if the repair is so cheap and easy, why didn't you do it before you put the boat on the market?

Let's face, you will be dealing with fittings and hoses that have carried fecal matter. I am not sure how anyone considers that to be no problem unless he or she is missing a nose.
rugosa likes this.
Old 03-17-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
I always wonder with this type of seller, if the repair is so cheap and easy, why didn't you do it before you put the boat on the market?

Let's face, you will be dealing with fittings and hoses that have carried fecal matter. I am not sure how anyone considers that to be no problem unless he or she is missing a nose.
Yeah, I agree, why wouldn't he just fix it? Perhaps he is not handy, or just doesn't have the time, and is willing to discount the boat accordingly.

As for the job itself, sure it is smelly, but that shouldn't be a problem unless you are a serious WUSS! Every DIY boat owner has to deal with septic system problems sooner or later, and if you don't want to, then there are plenty of people who would be happy to tolerate the smell in order to part you from your hard earned cash! Just use your common sense, wear rubber gloves, wash your hands often and clean up the area with bleach afterwards. On a boat that old you might also consider replacing all of the hoses as well. Boats with old septic hoses develop a certain aroma that permeates everything and doesn't go away. Ripping those old hoses out and replacing them with new doesn't cost very much, and makes a HUGE difference to the air quality in the boat. (At least it did with mine!)
Hull#101
Old 03-17-2013

Kalina-Lona is on a distinguished road

Thanks,
There was a leak in the original they said. I was going to ask for it to replaced, but my concern is the finished project. They are working on a larger boat trying to be ready for the spring so I'd rather the price lower and do it myself, as long as it can be replaced.

Cheers,
Old 03-18-2013

norahs arc is on a distinguished road

I replaced some of the hoses for the holding tank on my C27. It was not a "fun" job. I doubled the hose clamps as required but have to admitt that hose was so hard to work with that I think once it is on a fitting it would have to be cut to remove it. (I heated the hose ends or would never have got them on the fittings.) That said there is nothing technical about tank replacement but it may be more work than you expect.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.