Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2004

rleslie is on a distinguished road
R.I. & CT. where to stay

My wife & I will be looking at Whitby/Brewers in Maine, R.I. and Connecticut the 2nd week of June. We want to make a vacation out of the trip and would like suggestions on what town to stay in. We have never been to New England and enjoy small quaint towns with lots of history, water & boats.

We will be flying in/out of Boston. The boats are in Yarmouth, West Southport, Mystic and somewhere on the R.I. coast.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-17-2004

Tom3 is on a distinguished road
R.I. & CT. where to stay

Mystic is very nice and you can go to the seaport which you really should do if your in the area and have the time.

Stonington is pretty and quieter than Mystic.

I don''t know RI that well except for Newport which is a very nice town.

Maine is a big state (relative to RI and CT) so where to stay depends on how far Down East you will be going. Camden has a very nice combination of houses and boats but you may not be comeing that far up.

If you take your journey from CT to Maine in stages stop at Marblehead or Newburyport in Mass.
Old 05-17-2004

hamiam is on a distinguished road
R.I. & CT. where to stay

Not at all familiar with Maine but I can help with Cape Cod, RI, and CT. Starting with the Cape; if you REALLY want to make a vacation out of this trip I HIGHLY recommend venturing out to Nantucket. Its a ~ 20 min flight on a small plane out of Hyannis or a 1 hour hyrdofoil ride. Nantucket is, by far and away, our favorite place in the world. (A strong statement I know.) Anyway, its filled with boats, a whaling and seafareing history, and, literally hundreds of antique homes. If you are unwilling or unable to travel to Nantucket, my favorite place on the cape is Chatham. It is a quaint town at the elbow of the Cape. In RI, you have several choices. As a sailor who keeps in boat in Newport I am, of course, partial to chosing Newport as a place to stay. It is very much a small (very small?) city and as such you will find throngs of people on your average weekend. That being said, you can stay in the Point Section or on Ocean Drive and escape from the crowds and still enjoy this deep water port with its good restaurants and must see places such as the Museum of Yachting and International Yacht Resortation School (iyrs.org). RI is such a small state that no matter where you stay you will be quite close to wherever you need to be. Some other suggestions in RI would be Bristol; a quiant town that has, among other things. the Herreshoff Museum. For CT, I would strongly second the recommendation of Mystic. Another town very rich in nautical heritage with the Seaport Museum etc.
Old 05-18-2004

spartinaSC is on a distinguished road
R.I. & CT. where to stay

i agree with hamiam Newport is a great place,lots to see and do.We sail out of Bristol which has everything but if your looking for a small New England town that screams quaint try Wickford RI also flying out of TF green in Warwick is great.I strongly recommend it.
Old 05-18-2004

rleslie is on a distinguished road
R.I. & CT. where to stay

Thanks so much for the info. It has been extremely helpful and we are really looking forward to seeing that area for the first time!!! From looking at the map, I think we will stay in RI.

Thanks Again!!
Old 05-18-2004

maestro is on a distinguished road
R.I. & CT. where to stay

On my list would be Watch Hill RI. nice town (with one of the nations oldest merry-go-rounds in town)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.