SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   yellow bottom paint....:) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/97640-yellow-bottom-paint.html)

hallucination 03-17-2013 11:00 AM

yellow bottom paint....:)

You know how websites pop-up ads from time to time? well, I just got one for VIVID yellow bottom paint, and it got me to thinking... (never a good thing)

How about painting a 6-8 foot smiley face on the bottom of your hull so when the sailing is fun, you see this big-A :)

Sorry, about that, I'll go away now.

chucklesR 03-17-2013 11:10 AM

Re: yellow bottom paint....:)

I guess a smiley face is better than a big red set of lips on a blue bottom

hellosailor 03-17-2013 11:33 AM

You guys have got something there. In the 80's everyone racing wanted their own battle flag, or custom chute. So we grab some airbrush artists from a van shop, and start doing fantasy work on keels. WTF, why shouldn't it be pretty down there? WIth artwork that can only be seen when you're hard over alongside? (G)

SloopJonB 03-17-2013 12:37 PM

Why not name your race boat "You Lose" - it can only be seen by people looking at your transom. :)

Michael K 03-17-2013 12:43 PM

Very handy color choice in the event a a large multihull capsizes and wants to be spotted by SAR. Also a good choice if any boat owner wants an easy way to spot growth of barnacles and slime on her/his hull.

Barquito 03-18-2013 12:57 PM

How about red bottom paint on the port side, and green on the starboard side. Might come in handy in the protest room.

hellosailor 03-18-2013 01:04 PM

"red bottom paint on the port side,"
Ergh...So then, you would have to sail backwards any time you were "returning" in order to keep the colors on the right sides?

Jeff_H 03-18-2013 02:33 PM

In the 1980's I raced on a boat called "War Whoop" which had white bottom paint. Painted under water, there was an Indian with a tomahawk, which would appear like a native American 'Kilroy was here' when the boat heeled over. It was good for giggles and distracting the crew of the boat to windward.

Jeff

Barquito 03-18-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

"red bottom paint on the port side,"
Ergh...So then, you would have to sail backwards any time you were "returning" in order to keep the colors on the right sides?
I was thinking of it as giant marker lights, if you see green you are looking at the starboard side, OTOH, I might be just as fast going backwards.:D

TakeFive 03-18-2013 11:07 PM

I've had Vivid blue on my bottom for the past 2 years, and today I ordered Vivid white for this year (from Jamestown). I wanted something different, and that contrasted with the prior coat so I could see the wear. We'll see if it has that unpainted look.

No plans for any fancy decorations, though. I vaguely remember seeing some pretty crazy striped designs in some Vivid promotional literature a couple years ago.

The choice of bottom paint varies with region, but Vivid has always gotten good marks in Practical Sailor's Florida saltwater tests, and it's done pretty well for me in fresh water. I mainly like it because it's a hard paint that wears more slowly (important to me because I dock in river currents and occasionally get some flotsam in my slip), yet it does not lose its effectiveness when stored on the hard over the winter.