Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2013

hallucination is on a distinguished road
yellow bottom paint....:)

You know how websites pop-up ads from time to time? well, I just got one for VIVID yellow bottom paint, and it got me to thinking... (never a good thing)

How about painting a 6-8 foot smiley face on the bottom of your hull so when the sailing is fun, you see this big-A

Sorry, about that, I'll go away now.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Re: yellow bottom paint....:)

I guess a smiley face is better than a big red set of lips on a blue bottom
Old 03-17-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

You guys have got something there. In the 80's everyone racing wanted their own battle flag, or custom chute. So we grab some airbrush artists from a van shop, and start doing fantasy work on keels. WTF, why shouldn't it be pretty down there? WIth artwork that can only be seen when you're hard over alongside? (G)
hallucination likes this.
Old 03-17-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Why not name your race boat "You Lose" - it can only be seen by people looking at your transom.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 03-17-2013

Michael K is on a distinguished road

Very handy color choice in the event a a large multihull capsizes and wants to be spotted by SAR. Also a good choice if any boat owner wants an easy way to spot growth of barnacles and slime on her/his hull.
Old 03-18-2013
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

How about red bottom paint on the port side, and green on the starboard side. Might come in handy in the protest room.
Old 03-18-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"red bottom paint on the port side,"
Ergh...So then, you would have to sail backwards any time you were "returning" in order to keep the colors on the right sides?
Old 03-18-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

In the 1980's I raced on a boat called "War Whoop" which had white bottom paint. Painted under water, there was an Indian with a tomahawk, which would appear like a native American 'Kilroy was here' when the boat heeled over. It was good for giggles and distracting the crew of the boat to windward.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 03-18-2013
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Quote:
"red bottom paint on the port side,"
Ergh...So then, you would have to sail backwards any time you were "returning" in order to keep the colors on the right sides?
I was thinking of it as giant marker lights, if you see green you are looking at the starboard side, OTOH, I might be just as fast going backwards.
Old 03-18-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

I've had Vivid blue on my bottom for the past 2 years, and today I ordered Vivid white for this year (from Jamestown). I wanted something different, and that contrasted with the prior coat so I could see the wear. We'll see if it has that unpainted look.

No plans for any fancy decorations, though. I vaguely remember seeing some pretty crazy striped designs in some Vivid promotional literature a couple years ago.

The choice of bottom paint varies with region, but Vivid has always gotten good marks in Practical Sailor's Florida saltwater tests, and it's done pretty well for me in fresh water. I mainly like it because it's a hard paint that wears more slowly (important to me because I dock in river currents and occasionally get some flotsam in my slip), yet it does not lose its effectiveness when stored on the hard over the winter.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)