Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2013

Tymadman is on a distinguished road
Coolsailing, check out "iRegatta" which is a dedicated sailing app for the iPad. It's primarily geared toward racing but does display your wind info and GPS info so is still useful when not racing.
I currently use iRegatta on my WiFi only iPad with a BadElf GPS dongle.
I've been building a NMEA to WiFi bridge with the aim of getting rid of the BadElf dongle and connecting a separate GPS unit (maybe even my VHF radio which has GPS built in) to the NMEA to WiFi bridge and sending the data to my iPad over WiFi.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Ipad as sailing instrument....

I am getting old when English is not longer the common language and it has become technospeak

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-17-2013

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road

Well here is a solution....

SailTimer Wind Vane

Its a wireless windvane that transits data to an ipad/iphone. Its solar powered and requires ZERO wiring. Its about $600, but then you buy no other hardware. This will display speed, GPS, and works with a number of apps, like iRegatta. I am going to seriously look into this.

Old 03-17-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewportNewbie View Post

SailTimer Wind Vane

Its a wireless windvane that transits data to an ipad/iphone. Its solar powered and requires ZERO wiring. Its about $600, but then you buy no other hardware. This will display speed, GPS, and works with a number of apps, like iRegatta. I am going to seriously look into this.
Holy smokes, that's cool.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-17-2013

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road

Yes, I am in the computer industry, and I was thinking all day today that it would be easy and is very doable for a wind vane to be setup to a transmitter box, that just sends the data out via a wifi network. Well damn, there it is! I thought that if the marine electronics companies got it, they could sell a wifi version of their units and then sell the software...it would make their displays obselete in some issues, or maybe even have wifi enabled displays, so again, no wires. (tack tick/raymarine?) Whats cool is this wind vane has free software that can be downloaded so it can show actual sail time to a point including tacking, and uses wind and boat speed data to give you the optimal tacks for the fastest speed to a waypoint. Its also always updating based on the boat speed and wind data. Pretty cool.

Old 03-18-2013

bacampbe is on a distinguished road

Make sure you are okay with the iPad in bright sunlight before you go too far down this path. Daylight readability is not its strong point.
Old 03-18-2013

Tymadman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacampbe View Post
Make sure you are okay with the iPad in bright sunlight before you go too far down this path. Daylight readability is not its strong point.
+1 for that.
chef2sail likes this.
Old 03-18-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacampbe View Post
Agreed, but manageable, particularly if you have a bimini.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-18-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewportNewbie View Post

SailTimer Wind Vane

I've been curious about that for a few months. I'd appreciate comments from anyone who buys it.

I have a very bright Netbook that I keep mounted in the cockpit and use it continuously for chartplotter and AIS display as long as the weather is dry. My software will put a graphical wind display right on the laptop from an external Bluetooth signal, so the SailTimer would be a very simple install. But the price tag (and concern over my electronics getting too complex) is enough to make me wait another season before pulling the trigger.

If someone buys it, let us know how it works out.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 03-18-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-18-2013

Vency is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Vency

I have friends, delivery captains. Thay use ipad's for navigation and ais monitoring.

Until now they had more than 20 000 nm navigates on ipads.

some pics: