Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Ipad as sailing instrument....

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Is it real time or is there a delay. I rememebr this was one of the issues you commented on before. I thought Open CPN could be as much as a 15 minute delay.
OpenCPN is completely real time. It gets its AIS data directly from my boat's AIS receiver, and operates in free-standing mode without any Internet connection.

I had expressed concerns about the MarineTraffic.com website and MarineTraffic smartphone apps. Those get their data over the internet through a network of volunteer receiving stations that upload their data to a central server. The website warns against using their data for navigation. I am more concerned about blackout zones than time delays, since one of the "volunteer receivers" could go down at any time without warning, leaving certain regions with no coverage.
chef2sail and jackdale like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
...I had expressed concerns about the MarineTraffic.com website and MarineTraffic smartphone apps. Those get their data over the internet through a network of volunteer receiving stations that upload their data to a central server. The website warns against using their data for navigation. I am more concerned about blackout zones than time delays, since one of the "volunteer receivers" could go down at any time without warning, leaving certain regions with no coverage.
This is very true. I have a buddy sailed up to RI. He and I planned to rendezvous in open water and flotilla for a week up the coast. He had AIS broadcasting, so I used my iPad on marine traffic to find him. He was there one minute, gone for an hour, back again. It was rediculous. I finally called him on his cell and asked him to read me his coordinates, which I just sailed toward. When I finally found in the binoculars about 5 miles away, he still wasn't on the app.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-19-2013

bacampbe is on a distinguished road

[Edit: This was in reply to Vency's pics. Somehow 2 pages worth of posts came in while I was typing, so it's been mostly overtaken by events.]

Nice. Do you know the integration details?

In spite of my comment about daytime readability, I've been considering going this route myself. My old C80 has screen damage. I am considering taking taking that as an upgrade opportunity, but the cost of a modern MPD with a similar screen size is considerably higher than the cost of a lower end iPad plus water proof case.

But integrating into you on-board systems is more than just installing the right apps on your iPad. Others have mentioned NMEA wifi bridges--what are people's experience with those? How solid are they? The sort of fiddliness we are used to putting up with for home networks would not be not good for marine instrument networks. The last thing I want to do is troubleshoot a wifi connection during a blow or have my sounder stop reporting in skinny water.

The big marine electronic venders seem to almost willfully get wifi integration wrong, doing things like insisting on hosting their own network rather than joining an existing one. That makes it hard to do things live internet integration via a phone or iPad.

Last edited by bacampbe; 03-19-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-19-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
OpenCPN is completely real time. It gets its AIS data directly from my boat's AIS receiver, and operates in free-standing mode without any Internet connection.

I had expressed concerns about the MarineTraffic.com website and MarineTraffic smartphone apps. Those get their data over the internet through a network of volunteer receiving stations that upload their data to a central server. The website warns against using their data for navigation. I am more concerned about blackout zones than time delays, since one of the "volunteer receivers" could go down at any time without warning, leaving certain regions with no coverage.
What kind of AIS receiver did you get, a stand alone or one associated with a fixed VHF like the Standard Horizon VHF.. How do you incorpoate that into your netbook? Will it blue tooth or do you have to run a direct cable.

Minnie, I have found and use a real time AIS for the I Pad/ Droids. Its not free, but I got it for free as I was one of the first 10 to install it and test it out last year. Its called Boat Beacon. I have tracked it against my Raymarine integrated AIS transciever though the chartplotter and it is dead on accurate in real time.

The new Raymarine have wifi and bluetooth capability, and an I pad app so you can use your I pad as a second monitor or remote and see everything on the CP screen. You can also upload from one to the other via USB port or wifi.
katsailor likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-19-2013

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

I went with a Ray E7 and used NMEA 2000 for my triducer and wheel pilot. It all integrated as advertised. Ray also has an Ipad app so you can mirror the E7 and control it using its own wifi. Just started playing with it, but it seems to work.
Old 03-19-2013

Joel,

Youll be real happy with that unit.

I wish they had the wireless available in the c90w last summer when they replace the lightening strike stuff. The c95w now has it also.

I need a larger screen than the 7 as my eyes are older than yours

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-19-2013

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

The 9 inch screen is sweet, but there is a huge price jump from the 7 to the 9! That's why I wear bifocals! I'm hoping Defender has a deal on AIS this week so I can add that to the network.
Old 03-19-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
..Minnie, I have found and use a real time AIS for the I Pad/ Droids. Its not free, but I got it for free as I was one of the first 10 to install it and test it out last year. Its called Boat Beacon. I have tracked it against my Raymarine integrated AIS transciever though the chartplotter and it is dead on accurate in real time...
Does it still rely on shore receivers? How do they keep it real time?

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Does it still rely on shore receivers? How do they keep it real time?
Requires a constant internet access so only for coastal cruising for the most part. It is not a replacement for real AIS nor should it be used for navigation, but it is better than Marine Traffic ap

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...atbeacon&hl=en

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 03-19-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Requires a constant internet access so only for coastal cruising for the most part. It is not a replacement for real AIS nor should it be used for navigation, but it is better than Marine Traffic ap

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...atbeacon&hl=en
Does your boat show up on AIS as well?
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.