SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Ipad as sailing instrument....

16K views 50 replies 18 participants last post by  vtsailguy 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am on my second year sailing and leatning a lot! -:) I am thinking of upgrading my electronic although I have a smaller sailboat (Tanzer 7.5). I looked at Garmin and Furano for depth, wind and speed. However, I know some sailer are using Ipad as GPS. I am thinking of using my iPad not so much as GPS but instead of using it as my depth sounder and wind meter/ speed meter. Anyone done this? what about cost? It needs to be WIFI right? How to get this on water?... so many question.... Thanks for your help!

Coolsailing

#49 · (Edited)
I was hoping that the Sailtimer Wind Vane would be on display at the Annapolis Boat Show. When trying to look up the company, I noticed that the Sailtimer Wind Vane is apparently discontinued, and they plan to replace it with the Sailtimer Wind Instrument next year.

Does anyone know the reason for this? Were there problems with the device? I've always been suspicious of solar powered devices (especially ones that are in difficult-to-reach places like the top of a mast). I guess I'm glad I didn't buy this last winter, since it looks like it's an orphan already.

#50 ·
We thought about getting the Sailtimer wind vane earlier this year, but when I did my research, it seems that there were some issues with it not holding up after a few months or so. I love the idea and it's just a matter of time before they develop something more robust.

-Joy

#51 ·
We thought about getting the Sailtimer wind vane earlier this year, but when I did my research, it seems that there were some issues with it not holding up after a few months or so. I love the idea and it's just a matter of time before they develop something more robust.

-Joy
I just my hands on a windvane that plugs into a smartphone from Vavuud. I'll be reviewing it soon on my blog. Stay tuned!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.