SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Ipad as sailing instrument.... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/97646-ipad-sailing-instrument.html)

coolsailing 03-17-2013 02:00 PM

Ipad as sailing instrument....

Hello everyone,

I am on my second year sailing and leatning a lot! -:) I am thinking of upgrading my electronic although I have a smaller sailboat (Tanzer 7.5). I looked at Garmin and Furano for depth, wind and speed. However, I know some sailer are using Ipad as GPS. I am thinking of using my iPad not so much as GPS but instead of using it as my depth sounder and wind meter/ speed meter. Anyone done this? what about cost? It needs to be WIFI right? How to get this on water?... so many question.... Thanks for your help!

Coolsailing

DRFerron 03-17-2013 02:05 PM

Re: Ipad as sailing instrument....

Welcome to SailNet, Coolsailing.

You will find lots of threads about using the iPad, apps, etc. for sailing. Here's one thread:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-m...d-sailing.html

If you Google "Sailnet ipad" (no quotes), several others come up as well.

Minnewaska 03-17-2013 02:07 PM

Yes, many use it for a GPS because it has a built in receiver. Certainly, they don't have depth transducers nor anemometers. Perhaps there is a way to connect them via bluetooth, but it would be new to me.

lynnallan 03-17-2013 02:48 PM

Ipad as sailing instrument....

I talked with the folks at dmk yacht instruments about this at the Seattle boat show. They have a wifi device that is NMEA 0183 and NMEA 2000 and Seatalk compatible. Combined with their iPhone and ipad apps is does just what you are asking about.

coolsailing 03-17-2013 02:55 PM

Thank you everyone for the fats response.

Using the GPS capability, I would be able to obtain both speed and positioning.

1. You are saying that I could actually connect a transducer for the depth to the iPad or will it show using the GPS capability on the iPad?

2. Same for the wind? How does it work?

I know, I have too many questions...
:)

NewportNewbie 03-17-2013 03:39 PM

What u need are the transducers to get the depth and wind data. If you do that with nmea compatible instruments you can get them sent via wifi to an iPad. That will require something that sends that data via wifi. This currently will probably cost you as much as a entry level instrument sail pack. After you have that having the data sent to an iPad is doable. What you also have to worry about is powering the devices and since it's done via wifi having something create a wifi network like a computer. For a small boat that may be alot of power requirements. There may be other options but from my research this is what may be involved. Raymarine and I think simrad have an iPad app that allows you to see the nmea data on their network. You still have to get their instruments and build that network so it's not in addition to the instruments not instead of.

Minnewaska 03-17-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewportNewbie (Post 1003800)
....You still have to get their instruments and build that network so it's [sic] in addition to the instruments not instead of.

Exactly. Just needed an edit for an unintended double neg, I'm sure.

BarryL 03-17-2013 04:46 PM

Hey,

IMHO, you are betting off using something small, cheap, waterproof, and designed for boats than you are using an iPAD.

I used to have a Lowrance 3.5" color GPS unit that came with high quality charts and a fishfinder / depthfinder. They still make a similar unit, the Lowrance Elite 4:
Elite-4 - LOWRANCE | Marine Electronics
It costs around $300.

For wind display you will need to purchase a separate unit. A less expensive unit, like from Moor Electronics
capw
is around $400.

good luck,

Barry

Minnewaska 03-17-2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryL (Post 1003825)
Hey,

IMHO, you are betting off using something small, cheap, waterproof, and designed for boats than you are using an iPAD......

While I don't necessarily advocate the iPad as primary navigation, I continue to feel it is the single greatest piece of cruising technology to come along in decades. Navigation, anchor alarm, bookshelf system manuals, email, movies, pandora radio, weather, radar, research, communication, skype, internet access, games.... oh yea and sailnet. For the money, its a dozen devices in one.

They sell a waterproof cover for $30.

DRFerron 03-17-2013 05:18 PM

Coolsailing, I'm by no means a minimalist sailor, but it would be a lot less expensive to teach yourself how to read the wind without instruments. It's a good thing to know in case your electronics fail but not something one usually thinks about doing when all the conveniences are in front of you. We lost our windvane to a bird a few years ago and I don't miss it at all. I have wind apps but they don't tell me what's happening immediately around my boat. I record Beaufort scale readings in our log and rely on how the wind feels.

That said, I've used a netbook for navigation until this season when I'm going to experiment with the Garmin app on my iPad. I found a waterproof case to mitigate some of that risk.