Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2013

ABH3 Boyer is on a distinguished road
is anyone using an electric motor to get out of the marina

let me start by saying, I dont plan on getting rid of my 8 horse outboard. It does an excellent job of getting me around when the wind dies or when conditions are not favorable for sailing. I'm a fair weather sailor and dont go out if there is weather on the horizon. I also have no problem with the amount of fuel I use as I used less than 15 gallons last season and I'm sure I went out 30+ times. I have a 26 foot swing keel sloop and my trip out of the harbor to where I usually put up my sails is less than 200 yards. I'm wondering if anyone else is using an electric trolling motor to leave the marina and if so how successful has it been. Also how do you charge your batteries. Right now I am using a solar pannel to recharge my batteries and every time I check the batteries are topped off just from the solar pannel. I will not have power available at the dock because it costs an extra $100 and dosnt make sense. My plan is to use a seprate battery to power the motor so I never compromise my batteries that run the boat esentals like the lights, electric wench for the swing keel, and entertainment equipment. I'm sailing on Lake Erie so there is no tide or current for me to deal with. My reason's for wanting the change are, I dont like listening to the 2 cycle motor, dont like the stink that comes with the exhaust, and I would like to be as environmentally friendly as possible. Not a tree hugger. Just would like to keep our drinking water as clean as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Re: is anyone using an electric motor to get out of the marina

I've used my 44 pound thrust trolling motor to push my buddies 4500 pound 25 footer into and out of the slip - and another 1/10 of a mile each way.
It's hooked to a 80ah battery, never killed it yet.

Max speed, no wind - 2.3 kts.
Old 03-18-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

These guys use electric motors for their whole fleet of 20 something asa 101 training boats.
Santa Barbara Sailing Center - Sailing School - Cruises - Whale Watching - Sailboat Charters - Kayaking

Just one marginally maintained battery per boat.
Old 03-18-2013

steve77 is on a distinguished road
I use a Torqueedo electric motor, works great. I charge the battery using shore power or just take it home and charge it. It probably only weighs 5-10 lbs so it's easy to carry around (the battery, that is)
Old 03-18-2013

DonScribner is on a distinguished road

I don't use it for my boat but I do for my dinghy. A cheapo 29 lb thrust Minkota pushes 500 lbs of boat, gear and people like nobodies' business. If you've used only 15 gallons of gas per season, I'd say you're all set with a, say, 55 lb thrust motor. Get a BIG battery (Walmart's $99 one or equal/better). It'll push for 2 hours straight.
Old 03-18-2013
Banned

dabnis is on a distinguished road

I had a 45 pound thrust on my 16 foot fairly heavy fishing boat for trolling. On a boat your size, windage might be a problem, depending on how much and from where?

Paul T
Old 03-18-2013
Bring On The Wind

CatMan22 is on a distinguished road

I used a 72 pound thrust on my Catalina 22 last year when I began having problems with my 2 stroke motor, I sail on inland lake though. I purchased separate battery for trolling motor. My use was approximately 10 minutes off mooring buoy and 10 minutes back on, with occassional use when wind completely died or docking at eatery on lake. That said I'd charge it periodically over the summer jst to know it was charged, but I never had a fear it was low on charge no moer than I was using it. That said it was much more convenient than the 2 stroke and also there was no mess with the gas and oil mix and no trail showing where I had sailed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"hark, now hear the sailors cry,
smell the sea, and feel the sky
let your soul & spirit fly, into the mystic..."
Van Morrison
Old 03-18-2013
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

Watching this with interest ! I have a Catalina-22 and need a new motor this spring. I also want to be as green as I can be with in the limits. I am not going to get a mule to pull the trailer to the lake....
I have been looking at Toshiba 4 stroke gas outboards I looked at Rays and torqueedo motors. I even looked at the propane LP gas ideas. I will be sold for many years on my choice. I make I will have to live with it good or bad. Not sure how green a battery in the land fill = VS = how many gallons of gas I will use ? Power to get me home when I get past my comfort zone ?
The big water for me will be Lake Erie. I am not a salty dog just a fool with boat dreams. Give me a cold shower and some $ to toss out. I will listen.
The trolling motor sounds so new and hip I have asked this before and the larger % always said go for the 4 stroke outboard. "They" said the trolling motor is just a little weak for my boat if the wind is more than I can handle. Yes most of my time will be on a small sheltered inland lake but when I go to sell the boat the 4 Stroke will be better from a buyers point of view. You do not know who will buy your boat so please the crowd.
I want the trolling motor to win out as I have not made my choice final. The two stroke in the garage is history that is all I am sure of. For all the advice that has been offered to me the 4 stroke is in the lead right now. Kind regards, Lou
Old 03-18-2013

mac 2-22 is on a distinguished road

I used a 40# trust troller for three years to push my 23ft 2500# coronado. with just a jump starter power pack. once when i was out power pack was not enough toget me to the dock so i docked at public dock ,went home got my 1k generator and two small battery chargers and went back to get my boat to its final destination. into 20knot winds did i go. not real fast but made shop my way maybe 2 knots. i now have a mac 2-22 weight 1800# with a brand new 55# trust prowler from bass pro also purchased a 150amp battery charger from walmart. still have 1k generator runs5-6 hours on gallon gas so when batteries die im good to go.
Old 03-18-2013
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

Good for you Mac-22 I would like to hear more tales good or bad.
The Zen-24 is a new boat from Japan. No gas engine on it. Anyone know much about it?
Wish we had some bass pro dude to cast his lot in this thread Lol
Good day, Lou

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.