Do I need a guy and a sheet on each side of spinnaker? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Re: Do I need a guy and a sheet on each side of spinnaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewwhill View Post

But for my education... Are the guys angled more steeply down to the hull than the sheets which are angled more shallow and aft?
Yes they are. The sheet are on blocks near the transom. The guys are on blocks mounted further forward.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2013

RichH will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewwhill View Post
But for my education... Are the guys angled more steeply down to the hull than the sheets which are angled more shallow and aft?
Yes! ... usually attached near the cap shroud bases ... or further forward.

A good 'trick' used by many performance large dinghy and planing hull boat sailors is to attach a stout deeply grooved and free spinning sheave to the cap shroud chainplate (need two holes - one for the cap shroud attachment and one for the 'axel' of the free spinning sheeve); to use you simply slip the lazy sheet under and into the deep groove of the sheave ... and the lazy sheet can then be used as a substitute foreguy. If using 'light line' tweakers many times simply pulling down on the tweaker (and a bit of tiller) will 'load' the lazy sheet into the deep groove sheave ... ditto when releasing from the sheeve.
Old 03-19-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
A good 'trick' used by many performance large dinghy and planing hull boat sailors is to attach a stout deeply grooved and free spinning sheave to the cap shroud chainplate (need two holes - one for the cap shroud attachment and one for the 'axel' of the free spinning sheeve); to use you simply slip the lazy sheet under and into the deep groove of the sheave ... and the lazy sheet can then be used as a substitute foreguy. If using 'light line' tweakers many times simply pulling down on the tweaker (and a bit of tiller) will 'load' the lazy sheet into the deep groove sheave ... ditto when releasing from the sheeve.
Hmm... not sure on your gadget description there, Rich - sounds awfully complicated!

Following the techniques you describe, dinghy sailors over here generally use what's known as a 'reaching hook':

..and lazy bigger boat sailors (like me!), who can't be bothered setting up 'tweakers' (I'll get around to it one day..), instead use a single very ordinary snatch block clipped to the cap shroud chainplate.

Last edited by Classic30; 03-19-2013 at 06:41 PM.
Old 03-19-2013

RichH will become famous soon enough

Yup, your 'reaching hook' is exactly similar to a deep grooved sheave 'axled' to a chainplate. Nothing complicated about either; the sheave has less friction thats all. ;-)
Old 03-19-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
Yup, your 'reaching hook' is exactly similar to a deep grooved sheave 'axled' to a chainplate. Nothing complicated about either; the sheave has less friction thats all. ;-)
Got a pic of your axled thingy? I'm having a hard time working out how that works out in practice...
Old 03-19-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

matthew, you might want to get someone experienced out there with you, or to have someone else take you out for some spinnaker work before you try it yourself.

Simply because of the size and location, the spinnaker tends to be the most entertaining sail on a boat. Entertaining? Yes, it can be very entertaining watching them wreak havoc on other boats. And somewhat less entertaining when they try to eat your own boat. Think along the lines of Charlie Brown and the kite-eating tree. (G)
Old 03-19-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Along the same lines, many forget that packing the kite properly before hoisting it is almost more than actually rigging it properly.

The number of times I've seen people 'wineglass' or hoist sideways is countless...
Old 03-19-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

We've hoisted the AS upside down per say! That is real interesting, especially once last summer, I kept saying we were going slow.....then I looked a bit more, something was wrong with the tack, it was too high, clew too low.......finally folks dropped and rehoisted, we gained a knot or two! oh well, race was well lost by then! LOLOL

marty
Old 03-19-2013

c. breeze is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Just a couple of things to add.

1) I always keep my main up. I may centre it if it interferes with the wind.
You dont' find this makes the boat want to round up? I'll over sheet for the jibe, but it always seems that The boat wants to spin out if I don't have the main trimmed properly.

I suppose really really deep this may not be as much an issue, but- my experience has been otherwise- how do you prevent the unwanted spinouts/ roundups?
Old 03-19-2013

matthewwhill is on a distinguished road

Thanks again everyone!

Yes, I think it would be best to have someone with me or learn on someone else's boat. I don't plan on figuring this out on my own.... in 20 knot winds... in March.