Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
re: Dinghy Registration Dilemma - MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneSF View Post
That is true, but it is not used as a boat, it is used as a tender to the boat, for going from boat to shore, and back. As I said that was 'MY' understanding and "I HAVE MISUNDERSTOOD MANY THINGS IN MY LIFE"! Couldn't hurt to ask about that point?
The bad news: You're wrong. In Maryland (and most states) you have to register all boats that have mechanical propulsion. Your argument that "it is not used as a boat" will elicit some rolled eyes from the authorities as they are writing you up.

The good news: Your registration may be free in Maryland if your boat is <16 ft. and <7.6 HP. You will be on the hook for sales or excise tax, though. But if your dinghy was purchased as part of the acquisition of the mother ship, you may have already paid your sales/excise tax. If you have evaded that tax for over 30 days, you may be in for some bad news when they find out.

All this can be found here: http://www.dmv.org/md-maryland/boat-...t-to-Register-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 03-22-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneSF View Post
As I understand it, IF,IF it's used as a 'tender',(going from the boat to shore and back), even with a small motor, it doesn't need it's own set of reg. #'s. Any other use it must have reg #'s. That's how I was told it work.
Your understanding will lead to a ticket and a fine.
Better to get the information yourself from DNR, not some guy on the dock.

How do I know if my vessel must be registered in Maryland?

Maryland Department of Natural Resources - Boating
Quote:
Your vessel, whether commercial or recreational, must be registered in Maryland if it is:

Equipped with any kind of primary or auxiliary mechanical propulsion; and
Used in Maryland most in a calendar year.

Note: US Coast Guard documented vessels using Maryland waters are NOT exempt from the vessel excise tax. When used principally in Maryland, documented vessels must display a documented use decal.
Old 03-22-2013

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

I read this, from "What to register"...
"Recreational vessels with any type of mechanical propulsion system (primary or auxiliary), to be used mostly in Maryland waterways during the calender year."
as; no motor=no reg req'd.

also, from second linked site;
"Your vessel, whether commercial or recreational, must be registered in Maryland if it is:
Equipped with any kind of primary or auxiliary mechanical propulsion; and
Used in Maryland most in a calendar year.

Same response.. no motor; no registration req'd

Somewhere I recall seeing something about "under 16 feet, but that *may* have been in relation to free registration, with the same req's to document?!
Given my circumstances; I'm likely to call DNR and ask about the "abandoned boat" regs and the "gift" regs. I have absolutely no idea where/who the boat came from and other than going thru the "abandoned" route, I don;t see a way to document POs or ownership....hence the *rowing only* probability.
Old 03-22-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

That's the point Deltaten, any motor - registration required.

Even if you JUST use it for a tender - see the quoted text from Airborne.
Old 03-22-2013

AirborneSF is on a distinguished road

Live and learn! Thanks.
Old 03-22-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road

OTOH if they just gave out titles and stickers to anyone, good luck getting your stolen boat back and/or proving you even ever owned it in the first place.
I went nuts trying to get my BRAND NEW dinghy registered with the MD DNR folks.
It went like this:
MD: The HIN doesn't have enough digitis.
ME: Well that is the number. The boat came from Poland, so maybe they use less numbers.
MD: Well they need more.
ME: Do you want to go with me to Poland and explain they are doing it wrong?
ME: OK, we can go, but you are paying for your own ticket and food!
(repeat about 10 more times)
MD: OK I give up! Here is a HIN for you I just made up. Inscribe it on the boat when you get home.
ME:

For the OP: Can you come up with a "bill of sale" that included the boat and the dinghy listed by HIN number

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-14-2013

Actually I am really glad that this thread came up. I have a cheap inflatable raft that I'm considering adding a trolling motor to. I don't need a dinghy for my normal daysailing, but I'm considering a week or two of cruising in the Chesapeake this summer, and may need a way to get to shore with my little dog. Since rowing will be difficult if I need to hold her, a trolling motor would be the perfect inexpensive addition to get us to shore and back.

I had been reluctant to add any mechanical propulsion because of the cost/bother of registering in PA. But since my state of primary use for this dinghy will be in Maryland, I think I'll take advantage of their free registration for low-power craft. I would not have learned about Maryland's free registration if I hadn't seen this thread.

[EDIT: The Minn Kota trolling motor that I've been considering just dropped to $80 after rebate on Amazon. It's usually $100, and the price history shows they drop the price a couple times a year for only one day, so I pulled the trigger. Looks like I'll definitely be registering my dink in Maryland.]

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)

Last edited by TakeFive; 04-14-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old 04-15-2013

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquina View Post
OTOH if they just gave out titles and stickers to anyone, good luck getting your stolen boat back and/or proving you even ever owned it in the first place.
I went nuts trying to get my BRAND NEW dinghy registered with the MD DNR folks.
It went like this:
MD: The HIN doesn't have enough digitis.
ME: Well that is the number. The boat came from Poland, so maybe they use less numbers.
ME: Do you want to go with me to Poland and explain they are doing it wrong?
ME: OK, we can go, but you are paying for your own ticket and food!
(repeat about 10 more times)
MD: OK I give up! Here is a HIN for you I just made up. Inscribe it on the boat when you get home.
ME:

For the OP: Can you come up with a "bill of sale" that included the boat and the dinghy listed by HIN number
I'm getting nightmares from remembering what it was like to deal with Maryland on everything.

My advice, be the leaf, not the salmon. If they want a notarized bill of sale, sell it to your (wife, friend, relative) and then buy it back from them, on a notarized bill of sale, and put whatever they want on that Bill of Sale. I've had to do that before.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 04-16-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Maryland's Governor Martin Owe-Mally decided to go green. His new state slogan is "Keep Maryland Green - Bring Money!"

Gary
Old 04-17-2013

Well I'm sending off my title/registration documents to Annapolis tonight. I have a certificate of origin generated from the manufacturer's website, and sales printouts from Amazon for the $100 raft and $80 trolling motor. I'm enclosing $6.72 to cover $2 title fee and $4.72 excise tax (after credit for what I paid Pennsylvania).

Getting a handwritten "bill of sale" from Amazon.com is impossible. So we'll see just how much grief they want to give me over a $180 purchase.