SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Dinghy Registration Dilemma - MD (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/97736-dinghy-registration-dilemma-md.html)

flyingjib 03-20-2013 10:32 PM

Dinghy Registration Dilemma - MD

Hello Gurus,
I have a delama: I have a small 8' inflatable dinghy (Zodiac) that came with my boat when it was originally purchased. It was not powered so didn't need registration. After rowing away for a while, I'm now planning to get an outboard and I was told it needed to be registered in Maryland. Looking at DNR website, it seems like I would need a title or a notarized bill of sale. Since it came with my sailboat, I have none of those. What are my options now? Continue rowing?

Thanks!
Aaron

billyruffn 03-20-2013 10:39 PM

re: Dinghy Registration Dilemma - MD

Show them the bill of sale for the boat and tell them it was "ship's equipment".

Might work??

Michael K 03-20-2013 10:43 PM

I suggest you call or go to the DNR office and talk to someone there. When in a similar predicament several years ago, they told me to send a certified letter return receipt to the previous owner. If you get no response DNR may work with you. But things may be different now. Still, worth a try.

Alex W 03-20-2013 10:48 PM

WA doesn't require registration unless the dinghy motor is above 10hp or the motorized dinghy is being used for purposes other than acting as a boat to shore tender. Are you sure that MD does require registration?

chef2sail 03-20-2013 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex W (Post 1005495)
WA doesn't require registration unless the dinghy motor is above 10hp or the motorized dinghy is being used for purposes other than acting as a boat to shore tender. Are you sure that MD does require registration?

Yes....I am sure he is right in MD it is required. I was in the same predicament and used the Bill of sale of the boat as it was never previously registered as it had no motor. I talked to a person at DNR first and got a name to use if challenged. Other thing you can do is have your wife/ brother make out a bill of sale and get it notorized?:D:D

dave

night0wl 03-20-2013 11:32 PM

Is it like Florida where there are "tag & title" agencies everywhere? There is a (shaaaaady) one right by me that was able to things done for me on my dinghy when I needed to register it. I was in much the same shape...never registered it because it didn't have an engine.

All Florida cared about was whether sales tax was paid. We "found" the original receipt showing it has ;)

flyingjib 03-21-2013 04:14 PM

Thanks as always guys! Lots of good suggestions. Worse case scenario, I'm back to rowing!

chucklesR 03-21-2013 04:45 PM

I'm not going to say break the law...

Make one up.

shucks, I lied.

They (DNR) would have had me cut my pristine condition 1955 Lyman runabout into toothpicks if they had their way. MVA is no better, my never titled original trailer was only suitable for the landfill.

Silly, bureaucratic idiots.

AirborneSF 03-21-2013 04:55 PM

As I understand it, IF,IF it's used as a 'tender',(going from the boat to shore and back), even with a small motor, it doesn't need it's own set of reg. #'s. Any other use it must have reg #'s. That's how I was told it work.

flyingjib 03-21-2013 05:09 PM

Interesting... Mine is definitely just a tender. First time I heard this though. I have to bite the bullet and stop by DNR office next week... Thanks!