Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: Harness and Tether Recommendations?

Very thoughful thread causing me to rethink this issue. Others are young and fit.I'm a fat, old man who is still happiest out of sight of land. Don't want anyone on my boat who I don't love or get along with extremely well so having bluff deck apes to pull me back aboard seems unlikely. Besides>95% of the time just me or me and her.
Believe there has been only one fatality in the marion to bermuda race. I was on that race. Was told boat gybed. preventor failed captain ( fellow physician) was decapitated. Helmets make sense but can't imagine wearing one. Wear full face helmet when on my MC but on boat think it would be too uncomfortable.Want all my senses to tell me what's going on with my boat.
?Wonder if a tether could be rolled around a spring loaded device attached on your shoulder?
Spring would absorb shock of fall and with rachet release act as power assist in reboarding. Kind of like the the spring in a old clock. Also could customize length of tether to need of that moment. Being clumsy have tripped on the thing moving about cockpit.
Was at the Defender warehouse sale yesterday.Didn't see the set up Med sailor showed.
?Where would get those? Seem to incorporate many of the features other posters deem desirable.
This thread feeds into another thread currently running about bringing everthing into the cockpit. Suggests for goofs like me who are still going to do what they going to do avoiding leaving the cockpit is a good idea.
Old 03-24-2013
Always tired

One is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
Congratulations, you have quickly realized an important point:

There are real sailors on this listserv, who are actually sailing their boats and know what they are doing, and, know what is important.

Then there are picnic sailors, who think sailing is really about buying more gear and equipment from our sponsors. The picnic sailors buy expensive stuff for their expensive boatshow boats, but rarely actually sail their boats in conditions in which they would need them. What keeps them from sailing? Could it be the idea that they just need that particular liferaft, that particular EPIRB, all the equipment and gear to run all lines aft to the cockpit, the harness so they will be perfectly safe, and not to mention some more ASA courses from the "expert" instructors...and on and on and on.

Robin Knox Johnston is a greater sailor than anyone on this listserv, and he circumnavigated solo without a harness, through the Southern Ocean, the most treacherous ocean in the world. How do you explain that?

There are people on this listserv who have 10 times more gear and equipment than he did, and they never leave the marina, except to motorsail their expensive boatshow boat to the next raft-up. To these "sailors", the enjoyment of sailing is mostly imaginery, not actual.

zeehag actually sails more than the "sailors" who think the solution to every issue is to buy more stuff.
Bla, bla, blah, from what she has said, "sailing" for her could be done on a raft with two poles at each front corner and a bed sheet tied between them for propulsion. I don't call that sailing if that is all she (or he, in other cases) does. Regardless of how long she has been doing the "I only sail with the wind on my back". I don't see any difference between that and people who only go out in their power boat in dead calms. That doesn't make for a particularly experienced or good boater, regardless of the years.

As for Robin Knox-Johnson and his lack of lifeline: People did fine without riding helmets for thousands of years, people did fine driving cars without seatbelts and no crumble zones. Except of course, many perished because of those deficiencies.
Brent Swain likes this.

Last edited by One; 03-24-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-24-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

OK- I'm a picnic sailor who goes to weather, has been off the shelf more than once,buys a ton of boat stuff,isn't fit and eats quiche. So WHAT. Yours maybe bigger than mine but I have a bunch of kids. This is a great thread gentlemen. Please stay on topic. I might learn something that will save my life or someone I love.
Old 03-24-2013
Always tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Helmets make sense but can't imagine wearing one. Wear full face helmet when on my MC but on boat think it would be too uncomfortable.Want all my senses to tell me what's going on with my boat.
Most skater helmets are open around the ears, and you can get different "waterhelmets" from Garth and the other one I mentioned, some of which has open ears, some not, and some have interchangeable ear pieces so your hearing isn't impeded.

Last edited by One; 03-24-2013 at 10:26 AM. Reason: aren't/isn't
Old 03-24-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

I'm not a believer in taking every safety precaution all of the time. I ice climb and have soloed vertical rock many hundreds of feet off the deck. Safety has always been about knowing the exact risks and my personal skill level.

Most of the injuries and deaths I have seen (2) were the result not of soloing but of not understanding and training with the equipment. Not understanding how it behaves in all circumstances.

Thus, I have introduced a few topics about impact, so that it might be better understood. And I ALWAYS encourage MOB drills with real people in the water and hoisting them back aboard; that makes each challenge real and boat-specific.

My personal safety rant:
Sail Delmarva: Are You "Captain Safety?"

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-24-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Seems to me that ropeless climbers eventually hurt or kill themselves.
One likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-24-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Bless you, pdqaltair, my thoughts exactly!

For those of you who are too busy hawking the next indispensible sailing product to read the whole post (which I highly recommend), here is his own synopsis:

"Every sailing forum has a least a few posts wherein someone asks an innocent question about a PFD or lifelines or harnesses or life rafts... and gets hammered by the safety police. Invariably, the original poster explained that he was a trailer sailor or lake sailor or coastal sailor, and further explained that he wasn't sailing around the world or even to Bermuda. Nonetheless, forum sailors are quite proud to display their knowledge of government code, to show just how many ways there are to spend somebody else's money, and how willing they are to crowd another's boat with superfluous stuff. Oh, they'll scare the stuffing out of you, if you listen. "

Were you Nostradamus in a previous life?

Last edited by jameswilson29; 03-24-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-24-2013
Always tired

So life lines and lifevests are now sarcastically "the next indispensible sailing product".

Yes, staying on board and be able to float if not is now a bad thing. Sailing solo in the North Sea and wanting to stay alive by simple means is now over-the-top.

Personally, I like what you broad-reach-only guys might call "bad weather", but I want to be able to do it tomorrow too.

What's next, you're going to call for the abolishment of wearing helmets while motorcycling? Or seatbelts in cars? Or what about lifelines on your boat? Handholds? An engine? An extra shroud?

Seriously, I take enough risks as it is, without having the need to act all cowboyish about it. Some things are just what a prudent sailor with nothing to prove would do.
Old 03-24-2013
Always tired

In any case, I notice you (JamesWilson) not only have lifelines, but also lifeline netting on your boat, and that in one of your pictures you're wearing a harness. So much for that lifelines/harness/tethers are "the next big thing". Apparently it's all about pretending to not need stuff, rather than actual needs and wants.

Now, can we get back to actually discussing solutions?
Old 03-24-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post

ps..cruising formosas heel only 5 percent in a 60 kt wind under jib and jigger. very sea worthy.
What, does yours have spent Uranium for ballast?

I've had some of those designs heel more than that in 25 knots, while tied to a dock... (grin)