Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Re: Harness and Tether Recommendations?

I prefer car seat belt for tethers, as it is far more comfortable in my bunk than a rope, and to enable me to attach myself from inside, before opening the hatch, I can leave one attached to the jackline and close the hatch on it , unlike rope. With a tether short enough to stop you from reaching the water, you could never attach from inside before opening the hatch.
smurphny and One like this.
Old 03-25-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
brent--one does not have to unhook to go from stern to bow and back to stern on my boat even when going all the way around the boat in a full circle. i sail a ketch. i do not sail out and back daysails. there is no back--only out.

where i am, which is not pnw by any stretch, is paradise. we talking no weather problems until furycame season. then there is a problem. until then--no problema. no headwinds and no bashing . in gom, there was always a choice--bash or sail in comfort to a destination. i do not foresee me taking the bash path if there is a respectable choice. i will not be going to pnw nor will i be sailing in coldville, anywhere on this earth.

there is no need to beat to windward here.
I have made many cruises to the South Pacific but have always been glad to get back to paradise ( The BC coast)
In could be anywhere in the world right now if I wanted to , but I prefer to be here in paradise.
Old 03-25-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Agree with Jon. Think the mast is a place you are likely to want both hands to work with. Therefore, even with lines brought aft I have mast pulpits and clip on to them. Leaning against them allows you to brace and use both hands. Also put a small step on them allowing my 4'10" wife the ability to get to the headboard. For me it's something to grab onto climbing on the house. After thinking about issues people have raised may re run the jacklines through them. In past boats have run tether around mast and clipped back on me.
One likes this.
Old 03-25-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

I learned my lesson on impact simply, when rock climbing; I got up from belaying someone while forgetting I was loosely anchored. You only do that once. It was like hitting a brick wall with my hip. I have never suggested, even in jest, that a sailor take a running start against 6 feet of tether because I don't want to be responsible for the injury.

I like this thinking, the idea of the snubber. However, there is a reason neither OSHA not climbers use that design; while it would give perhaps 4-8 inches at a steadily increasing resistance, the screamer can extend several feet at a steady resistance. It simply won't absorb enough energy. But I like the line of thinking and hope someone explores it. There might be a good compromise answer. Personally, I think the compromise would be a shorter screamer-type construction, since the energy absorption requirement is perhaps 50%. This could be quite inexpensive, replaceable like a fuse, and they would VERY rarely trigger, not in most sailor's lifetime's.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
I prefer car seat belt for tethers, as it is far more comfortable in my bunk than a rope, and to enable me to attach myself from inside, before opening the hatch, I can leave one attached to the jackline and close the hatch on it , unlike rope. With a tether short enough to stop you from reaching the water, you could never attach from inside before opening the hatch.
Great idea Brent. I've been wondering what to do with the rest of that huge roll of seat belt material I bought to make a drogue:-)
Old 03-26-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

I do like that commercial tethers have tell tale threads that let you know when the tether has been stressed.
chef2sail and Minnewaska like this.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 03-27-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post

I like this thinking, the idea of the snubber. However, there is a reason neither OSHA not climbers use that design; while it would give perhaps 4-8 inches at a steadily increasing resistance, the screamer can extend several feet at a steady resistance. It simply won't absorb enough energy. But I like the line of thinking and hope someone explores it. There might be a good compromise answer. Personally, I think the compromise would be a shorter screamer-type construction, since the energy absorption requirement is perhaps 50%. This could be quite inexpensive, replaceable like a fuse, and they would VERY rarely trigger, not in most sailor's lifetime's.
Thanks for your input on this, but I hadn't realized a typical screamer would permit that much additional extension... I think I'll take my chances of getting snatched up short on a regular tether, than going with a degree of additional length that could easily make the difference between remaining on deck, and going over the side... (grin)
Old 03-27-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Thanks for your input on this, but I hadn't realized a typical screamer would permit that much additional extension... I think I'll take my chances of getting snatched up short on a regular tether, than going with a degree of additional length that could easily make the difference between remaining on deck, and going over the side... (grin)
Remember, a screamer will NOT even begin to activate until the impact force exceeds 500lbs. Once the load goes below 500lbs it stops ripping (i.e. it can only partially extend/rip)

Now imagine this. Your harness has 2" webbing right? That means you would bear the impact over a 2" section of your ribcage and or spine. Would you sign up for having your ribs/spine whacked with the narrow side of a 2x4 to the tune of >500lbs??? That'd be about the same as standing there while Babe Ruth took his best swing at your ribcage!

If you loose your balance and get snatched up against the tether with the screamer, it's no big deal. If you fall far enough across the boat to activate the screamer, you're REALLY going to want it to activate to avoid major bone and organ damage.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 03-28-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I understand the concept of force on impact, but wouldn't it be distributed throughout the harness, particularly to the webbing at the rear, and not solely on the attachment point?

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-28-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Remember, a screamer will NOT even begin to activate until the impact force exceeds 500lbs. Once the load goes below 500lbs it stops ripping (i.e. it can only partially extend/rip)

Now imagine this. Your harness has 2" webbing right? That means you would bear the impact over a 2" section of your ribcage and or spine. Would you sign up for having your ribs/spine whacked with the narrow side of a 2x4 to the tune of >500lbs??? That'd be about the same as standing there while Babe Ruth took his best swing at your ribcage!

If you loose your balance and get snatched up against the tether with the screamer, it's no big deal. If you fall far enough across the boat to activate the screamer, you're REALLY going to want it to activate to avoid major bone and organ damage.

MedSailor
Again, I appreciate the input here from those far more familiar with climbing gear than myself... I'll definitely be using a screamer as a backup when going up the mast, for example, where an actual fall is a definite possibility...

However, the concern about being snatched up with great force while moving about the deck is simply not that great a concern, to me personally... The way I look at it, if I am ever so dumb as to be caught out so completely unaware as that guy in the video I posted earlier, I DESERVE to get a few cracked ribs out of the deal, along with a sharp reminder that perhaps it's time I think about retiring to a more sedate pursuit than sailing... (grin)