Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Harness and Tether Recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I understand the concept of force on impact, but wouldn't it be distributed throughout the harness, particularly to the webbing at the rear, and not solely on the attachment point?
That would depend how you fall. Were you perfectly facing your tether and attachment point when the load snatched up? If you're facing slightly away, the load will be on one side or the other of your rib cage with almost nothing on the shoulders. Ideally you go over like the guy in the video and take it on the shoulders.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2013
Advocate777

Advocate777 is on a distinguished road

I am about to leave from Ft. Lauderdale down coastal cruising to Biscayne bay and the up the Gulf Stream back -- out for 6 days. have to supply my own PFD and/or tether. What should I buy? Will be shopping at West Marine and will want whatever I get to last me for years.
I want to get a PFD with a tether ---any recommendations would be appreciated for this newbie

Old 03-28-2013

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

Actually you want a PFD with a harness, plus you need a tether. Try on the pfds. be sure its comfortable. Mustang is one of the few with an optional crotch strap. Tether needs to have 2 clips and be easy to open with one hand. Enjoy the trip!
Old 03-28-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

I'm fix'n to sail non stop from Key West to Honduras on a 28 foot sloop, no engine, with my 72 year young Father in Law. We will be tied in at all times, with a leash too short to go over the side.
jameswilson29 likes this.
Old 03-28-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
I'm fix'n to sail non stop from Key West to Honduras on a 28 foot sloop, no engine, with my 72 year young Father in Law. We will be tied in at all times, with a leash too short to go over the side.
For a second there I thought this was gonna be a set up for a very morbid in-law joke.
Capt.aaron likes this.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 03-28-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
For a second there I thought this was gonna be a set up for a very morbid in-law joke.
Ya, Stand By for that. Sadly it's a bucket list thing for him. He's very healthy and will no doubt be around for decades to come, like his parents and theirs. But long ( 6 day or more ) passages on my little barebone sloop are at times grueling. I just purchased a Capehorn steering vane, and all new, life raft, e-pirb, harnessess, double cliped, spot, ais, double reefing main, storm sail, drouge, all new sheet's, running rigging,on and on. we should be able to clip in and ride.
Old 03-28-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
Ya, Stand By for that. Sadly it's a bucket list thing for him. He's very healthy and will no doubt be around for decades to come, like his parents and theirs. But long ( 6 day or more ) passages on my little barebone sloop are at times grueling. I just purchased a Capehorn steering vane, and all new, life raft, e-pirb, harnessess, double cliped, spot, ais, double reefing main, storm sail, drouge, all new sheet's, running rigging,on and on. we should be able to clip in and ride.
Start us a thread when you get back and tell us about your BFS. Also, I really want to hear about your Cape Horn gear! Tell us all about how it worked (or didn't) when you get back.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 03-28-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Start us a thread when you get back and tell us about your BFS. Also, I really want to hear about your Cape Horn gear! Tell us all about how it worked (or didn't) when you get back.

MedSailor
For $3495.00, which is probably more than I could sell the boat for, I Better be able to sail off the dock in key West and right through the little cut on the east end of Guanaja with out touch'n my tiller! It's what Yves Told me it would do. I can say I've been impressed with his company, Him, his voyage and his customer service thus far. I've paid in full, in advance to expedite delivery so it should be waiting for me when I get off the tug 2 weeks from now. Then I have 2 weeks for the final prep, back on the tug for 2 weeks and depart May 9th, weather or not, wind or not, on the nose or not, we are leaving. I have 2 weeks to get there and back to the tug. I just bought an asym genny, and several sizes of head sails from 8 oz hanky on up. For those of you who have not done so, google a sat map of the Bay Islands, immages of Cayo Cochinos, and La Ceiba Shipyard, where I'll be storing the boat for a month while my dock in Guanaja is being repaired. Don't let all the Hype of dangerous locals keep this place off your cruising radar. But I digresss, back on track, we will be tied in on short leashes, watching the boat steer us. too short to go over the rail, which is how I've alway's done it any way's.
Old 03-30-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Back on the topic of harnesses and PFDs:

I would like to put in a pitch for the humble foam type III pfd combined with a traditional webbing harness.

In hot climates, the foam PFDs may not be the best, but many of us sail in less than tropical conditions and I believe they offer the following advantages:

1: The foam PFD adds a lot of insulation and can easily be layered over, or under follies for added warmth.

2: The type III can not (realistically) malfunction with its primary purpose. Flotation. No triggering device to corrode, no bladder to puncture.

3: You can swim effectively in one of these, allowing you to participate in your own rescue.

4: They can be easily integrated with a traditional webbing harness at little expense. It doesn't take much imagination to figure out how to thread the harness though some of the Type III buckle loops and make your own combo PFD/harness at low cost.

5: The foam protects your ribs and vital organs from your harness. If you do take a huge fall onto your harness, the foam will help spread the load and prevent you from cracking ribs, or worse. Speaking of which, how well do those "one size fits all" inflatable harnesses fit you? If they're below the ribs you risk a ruptured spleen or lacerated liver.

6: The foam protects your ribs and vital organs from other falls. Tether falls notwithstanding you can easily fall on a pitching, wet deck and your torso may contact the deckhouse, cockpit seat, or even a winch. Again the foam padding may protect you.

7: Comfort. Sometimes I end up wedged in some uncomfortable part of the boat, especially when racing. I'm often curled up on my side on the rail, with a piece of deck hardware poking into my ribs, or leaning against stainless lifelines. The foam PFD makes these uncomfortable positions much more bearable.

As cool and space age as the sub $500 Spinlock harnesses look, give the good old type III and webbing harness a second look.

MedSailor

PS One makes an excellent point about wearing a helmet. Many sailors talk about (and spend extra money and maintenance time) trying to mitigate for the possibility of going overboard unconscious. Automatic inflation is the wrong approach, as I have outlined before.

Obviously not going overboard first is the most important step (tether) but since it may happen, instead of spending the money so that the unconscious (and likely drowned) victim floats, why not spend the money and effort on a helmet, so that he's not unconscious in the first place? If we really do fear this scenario (I don't), it seems like a much better mitigation strategy.

A dock-mate of mine (a neurosurgeon I believe)used to race his J-boat single handed. He always wore a helmet. The America's Cup cat racers are also wearing helmets now too.
Thanks for mentioning the foam PDF, it does have a place in a sailing. Some of them are ubercool looking and comfy to wear in the cooler days.

Helmet: I always want to wear one sailing in a heavy sea. We wear a helmet riding a bike, snow boarding, rock climbing, and etc. Why not in sailing.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 03-30-2013
KNOT KNOWN

I have a helmet when diving on my hull off shore. I've had to unfowl things and fix my center board penet.