Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Harness and Tether Recommendations?

I think each persons body shape, neck size, etc, is going to impact their personal comfort. I have an 18.5" neck, left over from my old linebacker days and find the flat nylon style dig I to me. The soft neoprene roll is comfy. YMMV, you should really go try them on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
If I am in the cockpit for a long duration on a relative calm day and not moving forward I will sometimes just wear the harness as its really light, but I agree with you anytime spent foreward meeds a PFD.
I guess the irony that I see is having any concern at all for potentially ending up overboard and not haing a PDF on. Still, fielders choice.

Quote:
I also agree with the cutting of the web, thats one of the reason I went with the spinlocks too. The quick relaease are an asset when moving up the jackline and going from one to the next one. Thats why I have the double so you are never not attached.
The quick release that I'm referring to would be at the harness attachment, where you could pull a cord to disconnect it and keep from being dragged through the water. The tethers without a quick release, still have a clip at each end to move up the jacklnes. They just require dual opposing movements, so they can't be accidentally opened or opened when under a load.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-21-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Can you guys with the Mustang vouch for its comfort and light weight? If so, that would probably be my selection.
I can. The new ones with the neoprene at the neck are much better than the old ones.

I wear it at all times. A pdf does no good if it is in a locker.
Quote:
Also, are there add-on leg straps available for the MD3184? Keep in mind that I will not be sailing in areas where USCG certification is required. I'll be using the harness on inland waters out of an abundance of caution when singlehanding.
I have this. It is comfortable.

Mustang Leg Strap Assembly
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 03-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post

The quick release that I'm referring to would be at the harness attachment, where you could pull a cord to disconnect it and keep from being dragged through the water. The tethers without a quick release, still have a clip at each end to move up the jacklnes. They just require dual opposing movements, so they can't be accidentally opened or opened when under a load.
I like tethers all over the boat. I use the one that is more appropriate. That is why I like the quick release; I am always attached.
Old 03-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post

Placement of the jacklines is the parmount thing too, Especially the final one in the cockpitone which prevents you frrom being thrown over the stern.

I prefer U bolt attachment points in the cockpit; one at each corner.
Old 03-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
p.s.- have the mustangs and some small ones for kids Bought different colors so can tell the admiral's from mine.
Check the regulations for inflatables and children. In Canada

Quote:
Inflatable PFDs are NOT approved for:

anyone under 16 years old;
anyone who weighs less than 36.3 kg (80 lbs);
on a personal watercraft; or
for white-water paddling activities.
Old 03-21-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I'll consider a combo unit, but only if the PFD is comfortable/light enough that I wear it all the time, even without the tether. I like the idea of always having the D-clips available on a moment's notice, but not if there's a large penalty in comfort. Previous comments were that combo units were heavier than non-harness auto inflate PFDs, but I suspect there are exceptions.

In my boat I will wear a PFD all the time - I'm not willing to compromise that level of safety. I just won't need a harness 95% of the time, since I have crew with me and am in a very protected area. But a PFD that's as comfortable as my current one, but has D clips, would be the best of both worlds.

I've had my eyes on the Mustang MD3184 for awhile (have had a price watch on it at Amazon, waiting for it to come down some), and I think I tried one on at a boat show awhile ago, and recall it was fairly comfortable. I went with a WM non-harness PFD because it was equally comfortable and much lower cost, and at that time 3 years ago I envisioned absolutely no need to clip in. But that WM one has gotten to the point where the bobbin needs replacement, so it might be a good time to upgrade to the Mustang, with its D-clips and superior auto-inflate technology.

Can you guys with the Mustang vouch for its comfort and light weight? If so, that would probably be my selection.

Defender has it on sale for $231, which is 10% below their normal price. I've seen it go for a bit less on ebay, but always concerned about expiration dates when buying through unauthorized sources. I have about 6 weeks before I might need this, so I can afford to wait for an attractive price. Whati s a good price for the MD3184? Should I go ahead an pull the trigger at Defender? I'll be placing an order for some other accessories, so I'd add this in with them.

Also, are there add-on leg straps available for the MD3184? Keep in mind that I will not be sailing in areas where USCG certification is required. I'll be using the harness on inland waters out of an abundance of caution when singlehanding.

FYI, I checked the exhibitors list for the Annapolis Spring sailboat show, and Annapolis Performance Sailing is not on the list.
Both the Mustang and the Spinlock are comfortable and you dont know the difference that the harness is even there. Spinlock is a little more comfortable.

Annapolis Performance sailing has the leg straps for another $46
spinlock deckvest DECKWARE petzl harness Inflatable PFD life vest - Sailing Pro Shop - Professional Marine Outfitters and Sailing Gear

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-21-2013

A cautionary tale

Sail-World.com : He wasn't clipped on. Another sailor washed overboard drowns
Old 03-21-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Tragic tale. There is another lesson here - one of situational awareness. "One hand for yourself, one for the ship" at all times. No matter how engrossed you may be in the task at hand, you better know what is going on around you and have a hand on the boat. How could he not be aware of the approach of a freak wave large enough to wash him off the boat?
Old 03-21-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

I find all this interesting as I climb for living. My main niche as a stage electrician is the "climb and focus" as in I climb up onto the truss overhanging the state and point the lights where they are supposed to go.

As such I am not unfamilier with harnesses and lanyards. The double hooked lanyards are common, it allows you to clip out of a safety line and onto another without unhooking completely.. a very good idea in any book. I just wonder how much "give" that elasticized one has. I would not want to get knocked off of my feet and find myself partially over the side wedged against the hull and the rushing water going by.

The main trick with harnesses is to find one that is comfortible and does not impede your movement. If something is a pain to wear, you won't use it

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha