Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road
Re: Harness and Tether Recommendations?

It is an interesting case he makes for softer tethers.

As a professional climber, I am all about safety and have taken more than a few classes in it. I know on a man or scissors lift, the idea of the tether is not to stop your fall, but to stop you from falling in the first place. It seems to me this would be the same aboard a boat. It is not that you want to slow your fall, but that you do not want to get washed overboard in the first place.

I can tell you that in theatre, we use rope as our jack lines. He mentions that using rope can confuse it with running rigging. I think the short sightedness in that thinking is that you can get rope in many different colours. If all your lines are natural or white.. choose a red or a blue as your jack line. You want something that stands out so you can't miss it.

By all means, install a screamer, I would use a tether that lets you have the jackline along the center of the boat and lets you reach the toerail, but no further and use locking beeners. I prefer the ones where you have to squeeze a trigger before you can pull back the clip. Easier to use than twist and safer

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

think you got it pegged. webbing looks great. like the seats in the stern pulpit maybe just loop the 6' one around jackline and attach back on yourself if youre worried about length. hope you never fall off your boat so this is just a precaution.
Old 03-21-2013

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

What I would do on that C25 is run a single jack line from the edge of the companionway slider (near the winch) and tie it off around the master (using a water knot). Then run a second line from a padeye on the vertical edge of the bridge deck (near the bottom) and out to a padeye on the transom. We did this on a 36 foot ULDB to good effect (a boat not much beamier than your Catalina). Your six foot tether will then get you to the bow if needed and you would give you the freedom to move around the cockpit. This mobility becomes more important once you add a second or third crewmember into the mix.

I personally been partially overboard twice in the past 30 years. Both times on race boats, once from the bow and the other from the helm. On the bow, lost my balance while doing a headsail peel and using both hands to take in sail (the “one hand for the ship” is a really important rule). I slid through the life lines and caught a “cheese cutter” line in the crotch which arrested my slide. Our bow man pulled me back on board. From the helm, let’s just say, the open class boats are wide open back there (funny story). Others that I’ve known who have gone over were due to balance issues and not getting flushed by a wave. The big problem with boarding waves is they will set off the pill activated auto inflators. Either switch to manual fire or carry extra re-arming kits in your bag. It has happened twice to me also.
Old 03-21-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Overstock.com has an inflatable harness/PFD combo with a comfy looking neck for $143. You'd have to buy it sight unseen but it's another idea to consider.
Overstock PFD

EDIT Oops, I forgot the link. Link is now added here in this edit:Overstock.com PFD-harness

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.

Last edited by MedSailor; 03-22-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-21-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Let's talk about my specific boat for a few seconds:
I'd suggest simply going with a tether fixed to the base of the mast, long enough to reach back to the cockpit... Clip into it when going forward, it will give you full mobility on deck, can be shortened up when working at the mast... I've gone to such a setup on my 30-footer, I find it FAR better than anything to do with jacklines on boats of that size... Add another tether dedicated for cockpit use, of course...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I'm also thinking of this tether, which seems to have some nice features. Comments on this?:

I used the double tether for a few years, and found I preferred the single... KISS, one often never knows what to do with the unused portion, and the tendency is often to loop it around one's neck... BAD idea, of course...

And I'm probably in the minority on this, but I would NEVER use a tether with a snap shackle at the harness attachment point while singlehanding, instead of the double-action style hooks at the outboard end... I understand the arguments in favor of them, but they are far outweighed by the risk of an accidental/inadvertent release, IMHO...
Old 03-22-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Take Five

There is nothing that says your jackline has to follow the deck. I have been on a boat that was rigged with a a jackline that was attached to the shrouds about 5 feet off the deck at a mid point. I cannot remember what the attachment mechanism looked like. But it was a good idea. Just mount it so that the jackline does not interfere with your boom as you come off the wind.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 03-22-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post

And I'm probably in the minority on this, but I would NEVER use a tether with a snap shackle at the harness attachment point while singlehanding, instead of the double-action style hooks at the outboard end... I understand the arguments in favor of them, but they are far outweighed by the risk of an accidental/inadvertent release, IMHO...
I have a buddy who cuts the loop on the quick release to avoid the inadvertent release. I have never has one accidentally release.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 03-22-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

I'd also like to order a strobe that clips on the PFD bladder, but not sure which of the many ones to order. What strobe do you have? I see from Mustang's photos that there is a little strap on the inflatable bladder to hold a strobe on the left shoulder. Which model strobe fits there the best?

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 03-22-2013

Joel H. is on a distinguished road

This is just random input.
I use 1" tubular webbing, (like many!). My starboard and port jacklines run from the stem fitting back, inboard of the shrouds, to the top-front of the cockpit-combing on each side (As it would happen, the P.O. had mounted T-tracks there, for racing). Using track sliders, they make great termination points. Also you can really tension the jacklines by adjusting the sliders back.
On my size boat (C27), using a 4'-5' tether ,I can clip into ether jackline and have full run from stem to rudder post.
All that works great!
But, because I have read that a lone sailor, (that's me, most of the time) being dragged along beside or behind the boat, can have a real problem (read: imposable) reboarding, I still feel less than secure! Any thoughts here would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Joel H.
Old 03-22-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

A few thoughts, responding to several posts:

* I do use rope jacklines as I find them easier to work with and last longer in the sun. I do not run them on the deck, so they are not an underfoot hazard. The type of rope (stretch) must be matched to the boat; there is no one-size-fits-all.
* I prefer webbing for tethers. That is where I got visual confusion (just me perhaps) and webbing is lighter.
* I can't imagine cutting a tether loose and then fetching the swimmer. Very likely fatal at night. Simpler (and tested at speed in MOB drills) is to tie a second line to the harness before you cut the tether; then they drift behind the boat and are easily retrieved. A lift can also be used at that point.
* 3' can be too long for some smaller boats, particularly on the side decks. Who said you needed to be able to stand? Either custom or tie a loop to shorten.
* Some clip the 2nd leg to their harness d-rings, deactivating the quick release function. Oops.
* Some harness/PFD combinations have made the quick-release IMPOSSIBLE to reach once inflated (Practical Sailor Testing).
* Test hang from the harness to check the fit. Is it on the lower ribs (can't breath)? Will it slide off over the foulies? How's the crotch strap? Maybe this is the time to shorten the tether!

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber