Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Re: Harness and Tether Recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I'd also like to order a strobe that clips on the PFD bladder, but not sure which of the many ones to order. What strobe do you have? I see from Mustang's photos that there is a little strap on the inflatable bladder to hold a strobe on the left shoulder. Which model strobe fits there the best?
That is actually a manual inflation tube. ACR makes a strobe that fits over it.

The clip on the bottom attaches to the bottom of the pfd. When the pfd inflates it pulls out a tab and starts the strobe.

That is what I have.

While wearing a tether, also have a knife on a lanyard that can sever the tether if need be. There are lots of discussions about which one is best. I use a Wichard rigging knife. I keep it and a small Mag light with a red lens in a case on the belt of the pfd.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

If you are going to use a maglight.. do yourself a favour and get one of the new LED ones. They are smaller, lighter, brighter, and last longer on their batteries

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-22-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post

I used the double tether for a few years, and found I preferred the single... KISS, one often never knows what to do with the unused portion, and the tendency is often to loop it around one's neck... BAD idea, of course...
you can leave both tethers attached to the jackline. It is what we do when climbing truss. You only ever detach one when hooking onto another

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-22-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
A few thoughts, responding to several posts:

* I do use rope jacklines as I find them easier to work with and last longer in the sun. I do not run them on the deck, so they are not an underfoot hazard. The type of rope (stretch) must be matched to the boat; there is no one-size-fits-all.
* I prefer webbing for tethers. That is where I got visual confusion (just me perhaps) and webbing is lighter.
* I can't imagine cutting a tether loose and then fetching the swimmer. Very likely fatal at night. Simpler (and tested at speed in MOB drills) is to tie a second line to the harness before you cut the tether; then they drift behind the boat and are easily retrieved. A lift can also be used at that point.
* 3' can be too long for some smaller boats, particularly on the side decks. Who said you needed to be able to stand? Either custom or tie a loop to shorten.
* Some clip the 2nd leg to their harness d-rings, deactivating the quick release function. Oops.
* Some harness/PFD combinations have made the quick-release IMPOSSIBLE to reach once inflated (Practical Sailor Testing).
* Test hang from the harness to check the fit. Is it on the lower ribs (can't breath)? Will it slide off over the foulies? How's the crotch strap? Maybe this is the time to shorten the tether!
This is all very helpful to me, since I have zero experience with offshore, harnesses, or tethers. But reading these comments helps me "think through" the experience of falling overboard on a tether - something that I hope I never have to actually do.

I had not thought about attaching a messenger line to an overboard passenger before cutting loose from the tether. That practice needs to be permanently etched in my mind for future reference. I also need to make sure to have such a line available in the cockpit in rough weather, and maybe at all times.

In rough conditions I would crawl to the foredeck on my boat, especially since I need to go to the cabin roof with no sidedecks. So a shorter tether is likely more appropriate. Shortening the tether also reduces the fall distance, might prevent the PFD bladder from inflating (a good thing, since it will interfere with reboarding or cutting loose), and could eliminate the need for elastic to take up the slack. Now I need to decide whether to just make something up custom and save my money on the fancy Kong tether.

Clipping the 2nd loop to the harness does not completely eliminate the release-under-load benefit of the hinged shackle, as long as you remember to first release the 2nd loop first (while it's not under load), then release the hinged shackle last. But remembering to do that "in the heat of the moment" is questionable. And since those large clips require some strength and dexterity, it might not be easy to do while hanging from a boat, and while obstructed by an inflated bladder (if you're dangling in the water).

I'm starting to see some potential benefit to a short course that might take me though these scenarios.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 03-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
That is actually a manual inflation tube. ACR makes a strobe that fits over it.

I was not referring to the black manual inflation tube. I was referring to the yellow plastic band in the shoulder area. If you look closely at the picture, you will see it.

That yellow band looks like it has a hole through which your strobe light would poke out. Is that where your light is mounted?

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
Old 03-22-2013
But if not...

paperbird is on a distinguished road

Hmm - tried to find the Overstock.com offering to evaluate it but no luck. Anyone find it or is it already gone?

thanks
Old 03-22-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

It's why I would suggest you take you jack line down the center of the boat. The three foot tether will not allow me to go over the side, except near the bow where it narrows. I don't however have the jack line all the way forward. It stops before the anchor locker.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-22-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel H. View Post
But, because I have read that a lone sailor, (that's me, most of the time) being dragged along beside or behind the boat, can have a real problem (read: imposable) reboarding, I still feel less than secure! Any thoughts here would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Joel H.
If single handing, I avoid using the auto pilot and I always trim the boat for a little weather helm. If you take you hands off the helm (or go overboard) the boat will head up and go into irons, It might also heave-to. Either way the boat is stopped.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 03-22-2013

FYI, I have postponed my Defender order because I may need more bottom paint. (It took more to coat my boat today than I expected. Need to wait and see how the second coat goes on tommorrow.)

So I have some more time to mull over harness/tether decisions. I've gotten some great advice here on what to get and how to deploy it, so keep the suggestions coming. Obviously some of the suggestions contradict others, so I can't follow all of them. But I can combine suggestions into a hybrid approach that fits my boat. For example, right now I think I'm going to get a dual tether and run dual jacklines down the sides of the boat. If I have to work near the mast, I'll clip the 6' end onto the jackline to windward while I go forward, and the 3' tether to the base of the mast once I get there. If I need to work near the bow, I'll clip the 3' end to the windward jackline, and the 6' tether to the mast, unless I need to go all the way to the pulpit which is 9' from the mast, so there I'd need to use just jacklines.

In addition to buying a top-quality tether, I may build my own that's shoter than 3' for specialized needs.

I also tried to call about the MTAM safety course, but it conflicts with my planned launch date and with a commitment my wife has (I want us to be trained as a team), so I may have to wait until next year.

Old 03-22-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Take Five

There is nothing that says your jackline has to follow the deck. I have been on a boat that was rigged with a a jackline that was attached to the shrouds about 5 feet off the deck at a mid point. I cannot remember what the attachment mechanism looked like. But it was a good idea. Just mount it so that the jackline does not interfere with your boom as you come off the wind.
I agree and I think that it makes sense to have them away from the lifelines. I am installing permanent jacklines on my boat, they run over the cabin to be as faraway from the lifelines as possible. Because I sail with the dinghy forward to the mast, I run a central jackline from the mast, over the dinghy to a strong fixing in the bow. The dingy is strongly connected to the boat by multiple attachments. The idea is to have enough space to move (without a very short tether) and eliminating all possibility to fall overboard.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 03-22-2013 at 07:42 PM.