Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Harness and Tether Recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel H. View Post
But, because I have read that a lone sailor, (that's me, most of the time) being dragged along beside or behind the boat, can have a real problem (read: imposable) reboarding, I still feel less than secure! Any thoughts here would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Joel H.

There is a French gadget that effectively can put you on the boat even sailing solo. There is on the net somewhere a movie showing it at work.

I think that the main objective is eliminating the possibility to fall overboard.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I agree and I think that it makes sense to have them away from the lifelines. I am installing permanent jacklines on my boat, they run over the cabin to be as faraway from the lifelines as possible. Because I sail with the dinghy forward to the mast, I run a central jackline from the mast, over the dinghy to a strong fixing in the bow. The dingy is strongly connected to the boat by multiple attachments. The idea is to have enough space to move (without a very short tether) and eliminating all possibility to fall overboard.

Regards

Paulo
Agree 100%

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-22-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
FYI, I have postponed my Defender order because I may need more bottom paint. (It took more to coat my boat today than I expected. Need to wait and see how the second coat goes on tommorrow.)

So I have some more time to mull over harness/tether decisions. I've gotten some great advice here on what to get and how to deploy it, so keep the suggestions coming. Obviously some of the suggestions contradict others, so I can't follow all of them. But I can combine suggestions into a hybrid approach that fits my boat. For example, right now I think I'm going to get a dual tether and run dual jacklines down the sides of the boat. If I have to work near the mast, I'll clip the 6' end onto the jackline to windward while I go forward, and the 3' tether to the base of the mast once I get there. If I need to work near the bow, I'll clip the 3' end to the windward jackline, and the 6' tether to the mast, unless I need to go all the way to the pulpit which is 9' from the mast, so there I'd need to use just jacklines.

In addition to buying a top-quality tether, I may build my own that's shoter than 3' for specialized needs.

I also tried to call about the MTAM safety course, but it conflicts with my planned launch date and with a commitment my wife has (I want us to be trained as a team), so I may have to wait until next year.
So if you get hit by a wave or the boom and your jackline is along either side of the boat and the teather is either 6 ft or 3 ft what prevents you from going through the lifelines and into the water or hanging off the boat close to the water. Clipping to windward when a boat is pitching side to side doesnt insure anythiing as the windward may not be the direction the motion throwing you off the boat is from, it may be a wall of water moving you toward windward. It may also be incredibly awkward clipping to windward if you have to work on the lee side of the boat.

Even if placed along the side it should be within the rigging and along the coach roof. Thought also must be given for clipping in once up the companionway and around the dodger if one is present without being totally unclipped.

Most people walk up the gunwhales so this will be under your feet

I prefer my Jackline to be fairly taught. Thats easy to do in a straight line.

Before you rig this way I strongly suggest you take the safety course and observe others so as not to waste money.I would also rig some temporarily both down the sides and also centerline once you have the teather and practice.

IMHO there is no windward/ leeward when there is something which needs to be fixed. Its usually better to go the indward side because its higher, but in rough pitching seas, that may not make a difference

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-22-2013

L124C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I do wear an inflatable pfd with a harness, at all times. I use that tether, I like a quick release. I had one fail and WM replaced it for free.
I'm hoping the quick release failed, not the tether?!
Old 03-22-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

The suggestions here are very helpful for general use. But some of them cannot be implemented on my current boat (but I'll remember them for my next boat). For instance, putting anchor points on the centerline behind the anchor locker will be impossible since the V-berth hatch is directly behind with no solid deck in between (refer to my pic above to see for yourself). Similarly, directly behind the mast is a hinged pop-top (could never endure the stress of a D-ring) and a sliding companionway hatch directly behind that. Even placing D-rings at the centerline in the cockpit is fraught with problems. For instance, the fuel locker in the stern, where I might be tempted to put a D-ring just above the cockpit sole, is made of pretty thin fiberglass, so not sure it would withstand the stress. And I forgot about the steering pedestal, which would interfere too.

Elevating the jacklines above the cabin top is probably not feasible for this boat. The boom is a little over 5' above the cockpit sole, and cockpit lifelines are about 4' above cockpit sole, rising to about 5' at the cabin top (refer to pic above and other Catalina 250 pics to see why). Yes, the boom barely passes above the lifeline when mainsheet is let out for running.

One thing that does help me is the narrow beam of this relatively small boat, and the fact that there are no side decks. I need to go do final measurements, but if I run a jackline on each side from front cleats to stern, inside the rigging and on the cabin top, they will be about 5-6' apart amidships. This means that I could clip onto the jacklines on both sides and be assured of not going overboard. The jacklines would be more like 7' apart in the cockpit, so in certain parts of the cockpit I could clip both sides as well. Obviously clipping on both sides complicates moving forward past the mainsheet, vang, mast, etc., but it is possible and with a double tether I would always be clipped with one momentarily while moving the second one.

I will have a lot of time to experiment before I consider singlehanding, and do remember that I sail in well protected waters, so this is truly worst case scenario planning. Right now I'm focused on painting my bottom, but as soon as I am able to step my mast and clear the deck I will be able to start running some temporary jacklines as a test and doing some measurements. I am confident that I will come up with an arrangement that minimizes the risk of ever going overboard.

Thanks for all of your help.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 03-22-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Guess I see this differently.
1. When single or with crew 95+% of the time boat is balanced and trimmed(goes faster- less work steering) and is on autopilot (or vane on prior boats) . Steer only getting in and out of harbors and in traffic
2. Therefore issue is to
A.not to fall off the boat or
B. be able to self rescue.

Boat is 13 1/2 feet accross. go up wind ward side if going to bow. Use second arm of tether to go under bow pulpit and then over,then back down to jack line.or use bow cleat. leave short arm attached to windward. Realize can go over to wind which is why use short arm. Measurements show if go over lifelines allows self rescue easily under will be a bit of work but do-able with adrenaline running.
If going to leeward - one arm to mast pulpit or housetop handholds other to jackline. Try to have tethers tight pulling on me while working. Little or no distance to fall. stable can use both hands.

In big seas not above crawling with one hand on handrails on house other on lower lifeline or the jackline.

Have had to time my breathing when working at bow as seas go over and I float off the deck. Have leaned on tension of tethers while working to leeward. Tethers keep me on the boat.

Everone should rig the jacklines and go through the senerio at all places on the deck as to what would happen on their boat if they fell to the right or left- forward or backward. Adjust as necessary for YOUR BOAT.

Have knives but think they are usually not going to be much help. Can't image swimming after a boat going 8-10Kts. or even 3-4Kts. is going to be much help. Strobe is worthless offshore by yourself. Staying on the boat seems a better and better idea. Getting dragged behind the boat by any kind of line seems like just a faster way to drown.

Would NEVER get a pdf wth a pill. Risk of accidental inflation too high.

Just my thoughts. Bow to superior intelligence and experience.

P.S. think the stress marker a good idea. Have had it pulled out and only noticed after the cruise was over.
Old 03-22-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperbird View Post
Hmm - tried to find the Overstock.com offering to evaluate it but no luck. Anyone find it or is it already gone?

thanks
OOPS! Photo without a link. It wasn't my intention to tease.

Link to Overstock.com PFD-Harness

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 03-22-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

PDQaltair's comments on the shock absorption issue must not be dismissed.

As a climber myself, I am shocked that the basic physics of a fall on a static line are not appropriately addressed with current tethers. My current home-made tether includes a screamer, but there is an alternative to the screamer...

In europe there is a climbing style called
that involves climbing a mix of rope, and re-bar rungs that resemble a ladder. The climber ascends the ladder/rock mix using what looks exactly like a double yacht tether. An important difference between this style and conventional rock climbing is that there is NO ROPE. The climber climbs hundreds of feet using only a double yacht tether tied to his harness. If he falls the tether and harness catch him, and of course, all the tethers have shock absorbers built in. Many use screamers, but KONG makes a reusable shock absorber. The shock absorber uses friction going through a plate. Sailors may recognize the plate as a familiar concept similar to the Wichard Gybe'n'easy.

Kong KISA:KONG - Carabiners, Climbing Gear & Safety Equipment (.Doc.408)

Via Ferata Tether: (This would work GREAT as a yacht tether)

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.

Last edited by MedSailor; 03-22-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Old 03-23-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

what a great idea Med Sailor thank you so much. Would probably loop up the spare line and run a little electrical tape or rubber band around it. Only problem is device would effectively lengthen the tether so will need to re think how to run jacklines and clip on when moving about.

What a beautiful place. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-23-2013

joebeach is on a distinguished road

What is a "screamer" in the context of tethers?

Great thread, w/ lots of good ideas about critical life-saving equipment (tethers, jacklines) that those who do not (yet) go offshore seldom consider. Or at least, this noob hasn't before. Thanks to all.