Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Splashing tomorrow

Hopefully the lift operator will give you a chance to make sure she's "tight" before removing the slings. I nice tip can help encourage that intentional delay.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

You do have some GFO or GTU stuffing material in case you do need to repack the stuffing box, don't you?

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-21-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Have the proper wrenches onboard for adjusting the stuffing box if req'd and feeler gauges and wrenches for adjusting the engine/shaft alignment if req'd.

Going through these posts (all good advice) and making up a checklist the night before wouldn't hurt - the exhilaration of launch day makes one forgetful.

Have fun & good luck.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 03-21-2013

rbyham is on a distinguished road

I do have extra stuffing in case. Worked hard today to get already. Feeling pretty good. Just need to see dry bilge on entry. Pics and story to follow. Sad to see predicted temps for splash only low 40s.
Old 03-21-2013
Seaward 26rk

strandedsooner is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure what everyone else does but a few guys at the dock told me to have one really long line to someone at the dock if possible. I've done that every time and once it came in really handy.
Old 03-22-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Congrats, I'm jealous. We were supposed to launch on Mon, but delayed a week. No good weather window to bottom paint.

I splash with all thru hulls closed and open them one at a time. Charge all batts on shore and test the bilge pump.

Extra lines and fenders at the ready, but the marina probably takes care of that.

Our marina will not launch you without an operating bilge pump. Some actually want to close all thru hulls and put their batteries back aboard from the dock. Despite this precaution, I've seen one boat go down at their slip, each of the past two years.

Good luck!

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 03-22-2013 at 03:05 AM.
Old 03-22-2013
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Remember some stuffing material will take a few minutes to swell-up. Don't worry about frequent dripping when the boat first goes in the water. If it is pouring in, or if it doesn't start dripping less in half an hour then think about snugging it down. Then adjust per instructions.
Old 03-22-2013

rbyham is on a distinguished road

What a great day! Felt like wedding day and first child born day all wrapped into one. :-) Smooth as silk. Towed to yard about 9am. Trailer worked fine even after 8 years in storage. Yard guys did a good job though it surprised me how much work they expected me to do. Anyway it was another learning opportunity. Hit one head scratcher on the rigging that slowed us about 10 minutes. Had a experienced and good friend along who was a huge help.

Dropped her in the water after painting the rest of the hull... hit they key on the atomic 4 and bang! she started. Even yard guys commented. Ran her in neutral and gear for almost 45 minutes before cutting lose from dock. Checked carefully for leaking but not a drop from either the repaired rudder or the older prop stuffing box. So we headed to the slip about 2 miles away auxiliary the whole way. No issues. Temp held 140 like a rock. Depth gauge came on line nicely. Knot meter acting a little funny and may need attention/calibration. But the needle did jump a bit.

Weather cooperated though a bit chilly running down the Cooper River in about 55 degrees. Docked smoothly with atomic 4 shifter and throttle being easy to feather.

So a 1966 Hinterhoeller lives on. Cant wait to get boom and sails on to try her with wind. Thanks for all the help here. Coolest part was our son showing up just as it was being dropped in water. He only had a 20 minute window from work but stepped on and went into water with me. Fun day! Pics attached...
Attached Thumbnails
Splashing tomorrow-launch-1.jpg   Splashing tomorrow-launch-2.jpg   Splashing tomorrow-launch-3.jpg   Splashing tomorrow-launch-4.jpg   Splashing tomorrow-launch-5.jpg  

Old 03-22-2013

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbyham
What a great day!
So a 1966 Hinterhoeller lives on. Cant wait to get boom and sails on to try her with wind. Thanks for all the help here. Coolest part was our son showing up just as it was being dropped in water. He only had a 20 minute window from work but stepped on and went into water with me. Fun day! Pics attached...
Congrats on a successful splash down! Kudos for your hard work... you deserve this day in the sun!

Last edited by guitarguy56; 03-22-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old 03-22-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Hey, great work RByham.

It is always rewarding to see all your hard work pay off in the end.

Congrats!

Everybody has one: