SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Splashing tomorrow (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/97744-splashing-tomorrow.html)

rbyham 03-21-2013 06:57 AM

Splashing tomorrow

The refit will be completed today. Splash is scheduled for tomorrow. Will tow the Minx to boatyard about 9am tomorrow. This being my first real sailboat boat and her history of 8 years on the hard have me slightly nervous. I have completed refit work and gone through basic mental checklist, for splash but still the unknown is there. Probably my biggest concern is prop stuffing box.

Anyone have final prep advice or splash stories of interest i don't need to hear a lot of negative just now but there may be a lesson i could learn from even those that would be helpful.

I looked around here basic splash checklist but did not see much. I suppose that means it is pretty basic. I but if there is specific counsel born of experience Iam all ears. Thanks.

Silvio 03-21-2013 07:02 AM

Re: Splashing tomorrow

Congratulations, an exciting day for sure. Remember to put your paddle wheel or plug in
8-).

Best wishes.

beachmont 03-21-2013 07:24 AM

Splashing tomorrow

Hi , good luck , be proud , be happy , be careful, be safe , make sure all thru hull fittings are closed ,clamps are tight and once in open one at a time , , if your going to move the boat have anchor ready for engine mishaps , have fun , and good luck

BubbleheadMd 03-21-2013 07:28 AM

Mainly, check all hull penetrations for leaks.
Make sure you actually know where they all are!

Launching Day is always exciting, the culmination of all your hard work, the day when your boat comes alive again.

Cruiser2B 03-21-2013 07:40 AM

Take plenty of pics! Good Luck and enjoy all your hard work!

capecodda 03-21-2013 08:21 AM

One way to get more relaxed about this is to remember that the only thing you cannot do easily after you've launched is work on stuff below the water line that keeps the water out. If seacocks need servicing, get it done then close them, make sure your stuffing box is packed for rudder and prop shaft if applicable. Bottom is painted. Knot log is removed and the plug is in place so it won't be broken by trailer or travel lift straps. If you need to immediately motor to a slip or mooring after launch, run the motor on the hard with a bucket of water on the intake or muffs on the outboard to insure it will fire up. Do all this before launch day.

On launch day, when it's wet, still on the trailer or travel lift straps, lift the floor boards and look for leaks. If you can get the intake in the water, start the motor. Everything looks good, remove travel lift straps or trailer and off you go. Don't skip this step, don't ask how I know:)

Everything else you can do in the water....that said if headed to a mooring, I'd usually put everything I could on board before launch just to save the effort of dingy trips.

Still too cold here even think about splashing! Welcome to Cape Cod Spring.

chef2sail 03-21-2013 08:42 AM

Pics of her floating afterwards are a necessity. Congrats on your hard work about to pay off.

Now you will have the perverbial "hole in the water" to pour money into:laugher

Good luck

rbyham 03-21-2013 08:47 AM

Thanks all. I had not considered the knot log. Otherwise have made the basic preps mentioned. The A4 has been fired on hard several times and will be again today after final fit of new fuel tank. All seacocks closed and bilge pump tested. Will need to motor 2 miles downstream to slip. Anchor at ready and unlimited towing in pace. :-) Cant wait to get to slip and address topside stuff. It is largely cleaning/polishing but has been let go while I focused on things that had to be done prior to launch. I have an experienced sailing friend along with (thanks Paul!) the admiral is also coming and excited about first ride. Otherwise I have intentionally not assembled a viewing audience. :-) Just hope the trip does not get too exciting for us. Well here goes nothing! Will report in afterwards... thanks again!

wingNwing 03-21-2013 08:54 AM

Walk around the outside, count penetrations in the hull; walk around the inside; make sure you can count the same number of accesses. Sit in the slings in the water until you are sure no water is coming in. Re: the knotmeter - in our waters this is removable. You just put it in when you are going sailing so it doesn't clog up with growth.

Faster 03-21-2013 09:58 AM

Congrats! It will be great to see all that work rewarded and completed in time for the upcoming season!

Just in case, before they release you from the slings check all those underwater fittings (inc your refurbished rudder tube) for leakage/seepage!

I'm sure it will be fine... enjoy!