Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2013

rbyham is on a distinguished road
Splashing tomorrow

The refit will be completed today. Splash is scheduled for tomorrow. Will tow the Minx to boatyard about 9am tomorrow. This being my first real sailboat boat and her history of 8 years on the hard have me slightly nervous. I have completed refit work and gone through basic mental checklist, for splash but still the unknown is there. Probably my biggest concern is prop stuffing box.

Anyone have final prep advice or splash stories of interest i don't need to hear a lot of negative just now but there may be a lesson i could learn from even those that would be helpful.

I looked around here basic splash checklist but did not see much. I suppose that means it is pretty basic. I but if there is specific counsel born of experience Iam all ears. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2013
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road
Re: Splashing tomorrow

Congratulations, an exciting day for sure. Remember to put your paddle wheel or plug in
8-).

Best wishes.
Old 03-21-2013
pete

beachmont is on a distinguished road
Splashing tomorrow

Hi , good luck , be proud , be happy , be careful, be safe , make sure all thru hull fittings are closed ,clamps are tight and once in open one at a time , , if your going to move the boat have anchor ready for engine mishaps , have fun , and good luck
Old 03-21-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Mainly, check all hull penetrations for leaks.
Make sure you actually know where they all are!

Launching Day is always exciting, the culmination of all your hard work, the day when your boat comes alive again.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 03-21-2013

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road

Take plenty of pics! Good Luck and enjoy all your hard work!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My two lovely ladies!!
Old 03-21-2013

capecodda is on a distinguished road

One way to get more relaxed about this is to remember that the only thing you cannot do easily after you've launched is work on stuff below the water line that keeps the water out. If seacocks need servicing, get it done then close them, make sure your stuffing box is packed for rudder and prop shaft if applicable. Bottom is painted. Knot log is removed and the plug is in place so it won't be broken by trailer or travel lift straps. If you need to immediately motor to a slip or mooring after launch, run the motor on the hard with a bucket of water on the intake or muffs on the outboard to insure it will fire up. Do all this before launch day.

On launch day, when it's wet, still on the trailer or travel lift straps, lift the floor boards and look for leaks. If you can get the intake in the water, start the motor. Everything looks good, remove travel lift straps or trailer and off you go. Don't skip this step, don't ask how I know

Everything else you can do in the water....that said if headed to a mooring, I'd usually put everything I could on board before launch just to save the effort of dingy trips.

Still too cold here even think about splashing! Welcome to Cape Cod Spring.
Flybyknight likes this.
Old 03-21-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Pics of her floating afterwards are a necessity. Congrats on your hard work about to pay off.

Now you will have the perverbial "hole in the water" to pour money into

Good luck

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-21-2013

rbyham is on a distinguished road

Thanks all. I had not considered the knot log. Otherwise have made the basic preps mentioned. The A4 has been fired on hard several times and will be again today after final fit of new fuel tank. All seacocks closed and bilge pump tested. Will need to motor 2 miles downstream to slip. Anchor at ready and unlimited towing in pace. :-) Cant wait to get to slip and address topside stuff. It is largely cleaning/polishing but has been let go while I focused on things that had to be done prior to launch. I have an experienced sailing friend along with (thanks Paul!) the admiral is also coming and excited about first ride. Otherwise I have intentionally not assembled a viewing audience. :-) Just hope the trip does not get too exciting for us. Well here goes nothing! Will report in afterwards... thanks again!
Old 03-21-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Walk around the outside, count penetrations in the hull; walk around the inside; make sure you can count the same number of accesses. Sit in the slings in the water until you are sure no water is coming in. Re: the knotmeter - in our waters this is removable. You just put it in when you are going sailing so it doesn't clog up with growth.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 03-21-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Congrats! It will be great to see all that work rewarded and completed in time for the upcoming season!

Just in case, before they release you from the slings check all those underwater fittings (inc your refurbished rudder tube) for leakage/seepage!

I'm sure it will be fine... enjoy!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)