Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road
Defender Spring Sale...not

I was just cruising through the Defender Spring sale site. And it became quite obvious to me that the sale is not as good as last year. I was comparing things that I bought last year and a few benchmark items that I always use for price comparison. While still much cheaper than WM (nothing shocking there) but not nearly as good as last year.

Do you see the same?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: Defender Spring Sale...not

The main thing that I wanted (Raymarine SPX5 auto pilot) was still $100 cheaper than it's normal price on Defender, which was already cheaper than any other source.

Most things otherwise seemed to be about 10% cheaper, which is more or less what I remember from last year. The big ticket item that I bought last year was a Zodiac Zoom 230, and that is much more expensive this year ($479 vs $679).
Old 03-21-2013

fallard is on a distinguished road

It looks like the Defender warehouse sale standard is no longer a 10% reduction from their regular prices. There may some better deals here and there, but kellysails has it right.

BTW, don't rule out WM without checking. They are actually competitive once in a while--just not very often. Free shipping to a WM store can make a difference if you don't live near Defender.
Old 03-21-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

I really wanted to pick up a couple more Revere Auto inflate PFD's with connection points for jack lines. Last year they were selling at $84 each, the cheapest is now well over $100. Darn, I really should have bought more of those last year. That was an incredible deal.
Old 03-21-2013
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

I'm happy Defender has good prices as it is so I'm not one to question more discounts. I haven't been around sailing long enough to compare what they did last year. I almost bought something earlier this week until I saw they have this sale so been waiting so I can work on a couple projects and launch my boat in a couple weeks.

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell
Old 03-21-2013

Argyle38 is on a distinguished road

For us within driving distance, the Defender sale is somewhat like Christmas. I always make up a list of the things I'm planning on buying for the years projects (and with my boat, there's always a list!). Then when the sale starts, I check prices against some of the best I've been able to find around the net, especially on big ticket items. About 1/2 of the time I'll end up buying big stuff elsewhere, especially considering shipping vs. sales tax on lightweight but expensive items like electronics. This year, however, their prices are good enough that even considering sales tax, I'm better off (or at least break even) just buying there. I just updated my spreadsheet with the sale prices and I'm seeing roughly 10% discount across the board, a little less on a few items and more on some other items.
Downeaster 38 #40

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-21-2013

Letrappes is on a distinguished road
I actually shop at west marine far more than defender. West Marine will price match defender and ship it to my house for free which usually saves money. On top of that there is almost always a 10-20% off coupon you can find online if you look.

Just this week I installed new lower shrouds for my boat. West Marines out the door price was over $100 cheaper than defender per side after I put in for discounts. Now of course I found out about a local company that could've cut additional money off so I'll use them for the front and back stays next year.
Old 03-21-2013

misfits is on a distinguished road

The Force 10 stove/oven I want to buy is 100 bucks cheaper. That more than covers the shipping so I'm happy
Old 03-21-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfits View Post
The Force 10 stove/oven I want to buy is 100 bucks cheaper. That more than covers the shipping so I'm happy
Wow, that is great! It's fun to find those gems. So Defender still has some of those for the sale, great. I wish I would of bought more inflatable PFD's last year, that was a gem that I didn't realize how good it was. He who hesitates.....
Old 03-21-2013
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfits View Post
I was thinking the same thing. The savings covers the shipping. The items I'm looking at getting was a groco water strainer, fittings, a couple halyards and a few smaller items. I'm thinking to get a HIT PFD too.

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell