Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: Cruising vs. Voyaging

Crusing is open ended, determined only, if then, by a vague schedule,
Voyaging is crusing wiht fixed destinations, rather than a schedule.
For example, one can cruise for three years aimlessly. One can only voyage with a destination in mind, even if it take three years.
The difference is subtle, but different nonetheless.
Like the difference between dieting and weightloss. The former is process driven with no firm goal, the latter is goal driven, process be damned.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Think what Hannah2 does is voyaging. What I hope to spend the rest of my life doing is cruising. For instance, They will cross the pond when they want and feel it's safe - I will go with the ARC or other group perhaps several times before going on my own.They will be off the grid often. I will be only for a week or two at a time. Newport to BVI may be a voyage but a cruiser will work to pick his weather window, feel no reluctance to bail out to Bermuda and not push on the trip. This is not to say Hannah2 is not a prudent sailor but rather they are more experienced and confident in themselves. I love the idea of doing the north Atlantic gyre. It's on the bucket list.
Old 03-23-2013
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough

I VOYAGE to my CRUISING destination, when there I will go where the wind and tide takes me.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 03-23-2013

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

They're just words. Do what you want to do and enjoy it. Who cares what you, or anyone else, calls it?
Old 03-23-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
They're just words. Do what you want to do and enjoy it. Who cares what you, or anyone else, calls it?
Well words help define things, put them in focus, even if it's just in your own mind.

Maybe a better way to define my thinking: with cruising I'm still living at home, still have a job here, still have ties; voyaging I'm selling the house & car and setting out over the horizon.

Interesting that the meaning of the words seems to be the opposite for some folks...

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 03-23-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

The big difference may be in the amount of planning required and maybe the amount of provisions in the lockers. Also, the modifications done to the boat to accommodate setting off across an ocean.

Last edited by smurphny; 03-23-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-23-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
For example, one can cruise for three years aimlessly. One can only voyage with a destination in mind, even if it take three years.
Like the difference between dieting and weightloss. The former is process driven with no firm goal, the latter is goal driven, process be damned.
Yes, Voyage has a goal, say circumnavigation, it turns into cruising when you just wander around the islands without making progress on your goal, then heads back to a voyage when you leave the islands and head to another spot.

So in the OP's proposition, he could do one to two year voyages, or one to two year cruses, depends on if there is a goal. You could say I am going to go hang out in the islands for two years and see what happens (cruising) or you could say I am going to make it all the way around the islands (Voyage) depends on how regimented you want to be, and it can be a mixed thing.

That is the way I see it.
Old 03-24-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Cruising = Repairing your boat in a warm place.

Voyaging = Pretty much the same/

Gary
Old 03-24-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
I think you are neglecting the influence of seasonal weather changes in your definitions. In very few locales can you wander aimlessly for years at a time without bumping into things like winter or tropical storm season. Even if you are cruising by your definition you still have to make progress to a weather-defined goal - either haul out or being out of the main hurricane zone at certain times.

These two terms are relative as well. For one person, cruising happens in a one week summer holiday, for someone else it is an open-ended lifestyle. Similarly, for voyaging. Some time ago, someone mentioned going offshore as crossing Lake Ontario diagonally. At one stage of experience that is voyaging. Define these terms as you will.
Old 03-24-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
I VOYAGE to my CRUISING destination, when there I will go where the wind and tide takes me.
That is not bad as a way to see it and that is what most of us do. That means that actually the boat is much more time "cruising" than voyaging and the design of the boats on the market reflects that reality.

A voyage boat will only make sense for those that take more time on the Voyage (actually sailing non stop) than on the cruising grounds. There are some that actually do that, some that even circumnavigate without stop (that is the essence of voyaging) and for those clearly the type of boat should reflect different needs and the absence of others. This would give an ideal boat very different from the first one.

Actually all boats on the market with offshore capability reflects both needs in a compromise but the ones that have in much major account "cruising" are much more than the ones that take a significant compromise towards "voyaging" simply because the ones that voyage more than they cruise are very few.

Regards

Paulo