Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2013
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Cruising vs. Voyaging

How would you draw a distinction between cruising and voyaging? Or would you? I mostly day sail now. Someday I plan to go on much longer trips. I am not comfortable with the idea of casting off the lines forever. Therefore, I see my plans as going on multiple (1-2 year) voyages, rather than cruising. What do you think?
JimMcGee likes this.
Old 03-22-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Cruising vs. Voyaging

I think you can define the terms anyway you want, there are no generally agreed definitions. I also don't think that you need worry about fitting any preconceived categories. Just approach it in the way that makes sense for you. To some extent extended cruising involves making one trip and then deciding whether you want to do the next one. After our first winter in the Eastern Caribbean we were not sure what to do next. I gave my wife a list of eight options (including staying in the Caribbean, going to Europe, selling the boat, etc). My wife chose a circumnavigation to my surprise. Now that we are getting closer to finishing this, the question is back to what next? BTW, as we approaching South Africa June did mention that we had been to all of the continents except Europe and that did not seem right.
Faster, JimMcGee, Barquito and 1 others like this.
Old 03-22-2013
S/V Lilo, Islander 32

IslanderGuy is on a distinguished road

I agree that there aren't hard definitions / boundries for the two words, but just for fun I'll tell you what thoughts they bring to mind for me...

For me, cruising isn't about the length of time, but the type of journey. Cruising to me is about exploring, going to one area, checking it out, then moving on to another when your ready. Cruising could be a week, a month, a year or an indefinite amount of time.

To me, a voyage is a longer trip, made in one go that could be a part of cruising, or something else all together. For instance, you could cruise down the Mexico coast for a while, stopping in little towns and quite coves, then make a voyage to Hawaii, then cruise Hawaii for a while.

A voyage doesn't need to be off shore to me, if I left the pacific north west for Mexico and got there in a week or two, I would likely call that a voyage, as it would be mostly travel and pushing to get there. The same trip over a month or two would be more on the cruising side to me.

Again, these aren't hard rules, just what images come to my mind for these words. It was kinda fun to think about, thanks for that.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

I would have to agree that there is no hard definitions of these terms. I think of cruising as being a very broad term, which would include 'voyaging' as simply one form of cruising, and simple over-nighting in a open boat, as the opposite end of the cruising spectrum.

To me, voyaging is a distinct concept from making a voyage. My image of this is that voyaging is the one way ticket version. Voyaging is going from one place to another and not necessarily returning from the original port from whence the boat departed. I think of voyaging as encompassing longer distances and longer periods of time. To me the term 'going voyaging' implies a certain degree of self-reliance beyond that required to simply go cruising.

I see voyaging as being distinct from passage making, but only subtlely so, while both voyagers and passage makers make voyages. A boat delivery voyage may be passage making, but I don't think of it as voyaging.

Clear as mud?

Jeff
blowinstink likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 03-22-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
.......Clear as mud?

Jeff
100% opaque!

Not that it matters, but as a simple differentiation, I'd put coastal cruising/island hopping into the cruising category, and true ocean crossings or sails of multi-day/night durations into 'voyaging'... and a passage as pretty much any trip from A to B...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-22-2013

sd1953 is on a distinguished road

Well, my ultimate dream would be to step off my boat (or via the dink) onto each of the seven continents. Well the four that touch the North Atlantic would be pretty easy compared to the other three, but would involve crossing the Atlantic twice. No small undertaking, so I may never get there.
But, crossing the Atlantic would be a voyage. Sailing home up the islands in the Caribbean would be cruising. And all part of a larger enterprise called ?? I don't know...
Old 03-22-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

I posted this on another forum a while back, perhaps it can help;

As resistant to new ideas as us old sea dogs are, sometimes we must bend with the wind. So after accepting my actual place in the universe, I hereby declare that my lady and I are no longer cruisers; henceforth we are voyagers!

"To be truly challenging, a voyage, like a life, must rest on a firm foundation of financial unrest. Otherwise, you are doomed to a routine transverse, the kind known to yachtsmen who play with their boats at sea..."cruising" it is called.
Voyaging belongs to seamen, and to wanderers of the world who cannot, or will not, fit in. If you are contemplating a voyage and you have the means, abandon the venture until your fortunes change. Only then will you know what the sea is all about".
-quote from Wanderer by Sterling Hayden
joebeach and christian.hess like this.
Old 03-22-2013
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

I think for me, it really comes down to the difference between having at least a rough goal with certain intermediate way points, versus a purposefully open ended itinerary. When I climb a mountain, the motivation is in getting to the top and back down safely. I enjoy the view along the way, but, am primarily motivated be the voyage.
wingNwing likes this.
Old 03-22-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Cool question Barquito!

For me cruising is short trips where I'm returning home. NJ to Block Island, gunkholing the Chesapeake, the ICW, the Bahamas, even the Caribbean is cruising to me.

Setting off across the Atlantic, heading for South America, the Arctic, circumnavigating, those are voyages. It's a difference in scale and commitment.

I want to expand my cruising experience. I really don't have any interest in voyaging.

Does that make sense?
joebeach likes this.

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 03-22-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
Cool question Barquito!

For me cruising is short trips where I'm returning home. NJ to Block Island, gunkholing the Chesapeake, the ICW, the Bahamas, even the Caribbean is cruising to me.

Setting off across the Atlantic, heading for South America, the Arctic, circumnavigating, those are voyages. It's a difference in scale and commitment.

I want to expand my cruising experience. I really don't have any interest in voyaging.

Does that make sense?
It makes sense ... if it makes sense to you.